Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,370

2 members and 1,368 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Radiant Heat panel

I'm thinking about converting my 75gal into a split cage for my two balls, I have been reading up on the heat panels and i'm digging them..my question is, if I convert the top to a dual lift lid and put the panels in the lifted lid would it work? I've never seen the panels so I don't know how they work beyond the pictures. so I need to know if the panels would pose an issue if in the part of the top that would be lifted as a door.. I hope that makes sense..thanks!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    radiant heat panels are mounted to the ceiling of the cage They output infrared radiation very similar to Ceramic heat emitters, the difference is that RHP's don't get extremely hot. They project heat downward. The heat effects the objects under it more than it does the air, but as the floor of the cage/substrate heat up they will increase the air temperature somewhat as well.

I think you could make it work.
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 10-20-2012 at 12:21 AM.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

GummiBear (10-20-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    I own three RHPs now they are great replacements for UTH panels they perform the exact same way. If your ambient air temps are cool you will still need something to change the air temps.

Radiant heat does not heat air any better than under tank heating does (UTH) it may add a degree or two that is it. After testing for 3 months I am able to say that the largest difference was 1-3ºF Hardly any help at all. Be well aware that the gain to air temps is minimal. There is a small gain but hardly worth mentioning especially in an open top system. I would recommend a tank on its side with UTH and lights it is cheaper and will actually effect the air temps more than a RHP. Warm and humid air rises and escapes altering the tank to the side holds more heat humidity and has a bonus of actually increasing the air flow in the enclosure.

The manufacturer Reptile basics states this in the FAQ...
    This Infrared Heat tends to heat objects more than the air, much like the natural sunlight outdoors...
    http://www.reptilebasics.com/radiant-panel-faq

Electromagnetic waves travel through space, it is caller radiation. When these waves come in contact with an object, the waves transfer the heat to that object. From my grade 10 physics book.

Convection heats gasses and liquids like a wood stove not like sun in through the window in a cool house in the sun it is warm as soon as you step out it is not. Radiant heat does not heat air. UTHs do not heat air they are the same type of heat suggesting that a UTH heats air is the exact same as suggesting a RHP does.

Thanks
    I do like the aspect of radiant heat panels in that it acts like the sun, which is why I was thinking it could work with an adapted lid with only small holes for ventilation, and the tank being only opened ~ once a day.
    Its an interesting idea to flip the cage, any suggestions as to where to put the light though if that was the case.
    I'm looking at the pvc cages but not sure we could swing it financially when we have the ability to alter something else to work. But I am totally digging them!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Side turning a tank is almost as good as a custom enclosure. The last on I did cost me 38$ and two hours of time. It might be a worth while option.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...arium-Solution

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

GummiBear (10-28-2012)