Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,872

2 members and 2,870 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts

Unhappy It's been a horrible year for me with cresties

I've lost 7 crested geckos so far this year. I believe I lost most of them to heat spikes since I seem to lose them in groups. I lost 1 shortly before I moved, 2 in about June/July, 3 shortly before I moved back to supsected heat spikes and my most recent loss, the one that hurts the most, to unknown reasons. All of the ones I have lost so far are little ones, with the exception of a breeding female. I wasn't around when the adult female died so I don't know what happened there, my sister who was taking care of them called to tell me she and a little hatchling died.

My most recent loss has me realing though. My awesome little yellow hatchling that was about 2g and 2-3 months old died today. I know it was today because he looked like he just died when I went to change food and I know he was fine last night when I checked on him. My mom named him Lucky and until now has lived true to that name. Before I moved back to WI my cat knocked his cage down from about 5ft up and he survived the fall and the cat completely unharmed and I was able to find him within about an hour. I still can't believe he's gone.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    That sucks, hope you're able to figure it out and turn things around.

Thanks

Sorry for your loss

I am so sorry for your losses. I would suspect a virus adenovirus we lost a chameleon and some beardies we bought new beardies from a reputable breeders and made sure we scrubbed everything down with bleach and rinsed with fresh water. Get a thermostate to rule out heat spikes. Retile magazine had an article on the virus.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts

Re: Sorry for your loss

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    That sucks, hope you're able to figure it out and turn things around.
    Thank you, I am hoping I can turn things around. If I keep losing hatchlings I am probably going to stop breeding the cresteds. When I first got into them I was keeping them purely as pets and I managed to raise two of my little girls up from about 3-4g, but I can't seem to succeed with the babies.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanus View Post
    I am so sorry for your losses. I would suspect a virus adenovirus we lost a chameleon and some beardies we bought new beardies from a reputable breeders and made sure we scrubbed everything down with bleach and rinsed with fresh water. Get a thermostate to rule out heat spikes. Retile magazine had an article on the virus.
    Thank you, I don't think it's a virus in this case though. It's mainly hatchlings - babies that I keep losing, under 3g, and all of them were unrelated. It's only the most recent one to die that is actually one I hatched. Crested geckos can be very sensitive to heat spikes and I had 2 this summer, which is when I lost the group of 2 and the group of 3. I don't really know why I lost this one. A friend of mine thinks that maybe I have too many plants in the baby cages and they can't find their food.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts
    I'm so sorry Rebecca. My thoughts are with you.
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

Thanks
    I also keep and breed cresteds and here in southwest Florida it can definitely be a challenge. I'm not sure of all the details on your husbandry so I'm not really sure what advice to give on that but I am sorry for your loss. I couldn't imagine losing my babies like that .