Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,081

0 members and 3,081 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I think I have created a monster, yesterday was feeding day and Nanners took his pinky like a champ but Bob on the other hand was being a big stinker. After getting him eating again by using gerbils I tried to give him a rat and it was a rat with black and white colors not all white he wanted nothing to with it .

It's not a big deal because I can get gerbils cheap but I guess I should change his name to Thurston and get him a girlfriend named Lovie then they can sit around and have gerbils and bubbly lol.

When I told my wife last night about it she said he just has expensive tastes. So I guess now he is gonna get "Fancy Feast" gerbils instead of plain old "Alpo" rats.

Can they tell the difference in smell or color or what? If I am a Ball Python how do I know the difference between a rat and a gerbil?

Thanks
    Yep they can smell it. You can counter this by scenting the rat with a gerbil to help the transition.

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I have got a great idea for you. Get a rat and take it over to the neighbors and let it run around in the gerbil cage so that it will smell like a gerbil.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Very funny sweetie :roll: We are gonna go here in a little bit to get a gerbil.

Thanks
    Again I urge you all to refrain from Richard Gere comments.

That is all.

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    LMAO smulkin!! Well that seals it Bob is a fine dining gerbil eating Ball Python. Got back a little bit ago put the box in there he woke up tounge a flickering. I opened the box let the gerbil out and he was like a kid on christmas morning .

I guess my only question is do gerbils get big enough to sustain a full grown Ball Python? Not that he is full grown yet but he will be within a year I would guess. And my second question since he goes after gerbils so well can you order frozen gerbils online like rats? I think since his feeding response is so good with Richard Gere's little friends that switching to stunned/killed/frozen/thawed will not that be that hard.
    Thanks for any replies.

Thanks
    Gerbils never get big enough to sustain a full grown ball, so, scent a rat with essence of gerbil and lose the expensive tastes... LOL unless you dont mind feeding multiple prey items. I am not sure if you can get frozen ones like you can mice and rats, but it may be worth looking into if you are gonna keep feeding gerbils.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Or you can start breeding your own. They're very easy to keep. So long as you keep the cages clean, they don't stink at all. And it actually takes a pretty dirty cage to start stinking at all. Being desert rodents, they only urinate about one drop a day.
    -- Judy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I thought of breeding them myself, my only question is if I am going to breed gerbils could my Cali King eat them as well? From what I have read kings have an awesome feeding response so is that a viable option?

I don't want to have to breed rats and gerbils and just the same I don't want to have to breed gerbils for Bob then still have to buy rats for Nanners. And in the future if I were to say get a Boa or a Milk snake could or would they eat them too.

I guess what I am saying is if I am going to go thru the trouble of breeding my own gerbils are they a viable food source for everyone?
    Or am I just nuts?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    you gotta get that guy over to rats.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast