Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,925

2 members and 2,923 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Large Boa Afraid of Rats

My boa seems to have a fear of rats. He has eaten a live soft furred rat and a dead one for me, but he won't touch the rats I've offered him, live or f/t. He is 7' long and could easily eat an adult rat, and I don't really have enough soft furs to keep him on them. He has a scar on him from a rat bite and I think he might have developed a strong fear of them because of it. Does anyone have any tips on getting him to get over his fear and eat the regular rats? I've already tried to scent a rat with soft fur bedding and he still hid from it, ball python style.

Thanks

Re: Large Boa Afraid of Rats

I don't have much experience with boas, but my one of my BPs is still terrified of rats, live and f/t. I have to heavily scent the room with mice and then rub mice all over the rat for her to take it, and even then its like I'm forcing her to eat brussel sprouts or something. I've kinda gotten to the point of feeding her multiple mice because its such a debacle to feed her rats.
    0.1 normal - Constantine, 0.1 Spider - Lilu
    3.0 doggies -Charlie (rottweiler), Luke (golden retriever), Dallas (german shepherd)
    1.0 Betta fish - Norris
    1.0 Rat - Forrest (R.I.P Mook and Milo)
    1.0 frenchman

Thanks
    Not greatly experienced with boas, but this is a new one for me! My boas all eat no matter what! I've yet to see a picky boa! Do you have access to small f/t rabbits or guinea pigs? Maybe he would go for those?
    5.3 normals, 3.1 mojave, 2.4 pastels, 1.0 yellow belly, 1.1 cinnamon, 1.1 het pied, 1.0 pastel/yellowbelly
    Also: Burmese, Retic, RTBs, kenyans, dumerils, hognose, corns, milk, king, uromastyx, leopard geckos, bearded dragons, dart frogs, tortoises, tarantulas, cockatiels, reef tanks, dogs, cats, chickens, goat, rats and???