Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 496

0 members and 496 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Want a Bull Snake.Some questions

Hello all I was looking to purchase my first snake.I was looking a bulls because they corns and kings are too small for my liking and BP aren't(from what I've heard and read)good feeders.So I started looking up on Bulls.I do know as babies they are hissy and they have a temper that will calm with years of handling.So I figure Bulls look good and aren't bad feeders and get big but not enormus.But there seems to be a lack of information and care sheets,but from what I have read they have very simlar requirements to Kings and corns since they are North American snakes.But I still have a few questions I would like to be answered.

-The place I planned on purchasing from have CB 09 Yearlings.Can someone explain this too me please.
    -From the caresheets I have read I don't really see a real humidity answer.I've seen from 30-40% to 50-60%. Rough Idea anyone?
    -I know eventually I will have to place a bull in a bigger tank,but how long should would one grow out of a 30x12.5x12.5 tank?

Thanks

Re: Want a Bull Snake.Some questions

I keep my Bull Snake (Elmer) at aproximately 50% humidity. He does really well and is an incredible eater. He is my "garbage" snake because he will literally eat just about anything. As far as tub size, their are a lot of variables to take into consideration on how soon they will need to move up in tank size. Currently, Elmer lives in a V70 tub from Vision systems. We picked our guy up as a rescue and do not have an exact age, but we have had him for 3 years and he is around 6 feet. Really beautiful coloring, but still hisses alot when we first get him out. After he is out of his tub, he is very docile and will let just about anyone work with him. As far as caresheets, not sure of a really good source, but I use this forum to help with a lot of the questions I have had so far. Hope this helps and good luck!
    Last edited by S.I.R.; 10-12-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rocboyz54 View Post
    -The place I planned on purchasing from have CB 09 Yearlings.Can someone explain this too me please.

-I know eventually I will have to place a bull in a bigger tank,but how long should would one grow out of a 30x12.5x12.5 tank?
    Sounds like the place you plan on purchasing from hasn't updated in 2 years, you may want to contact them to see what they have in stock before buying. A CB(captive bred) 2009 bull snake will by now be full grown and needing something quite a bit larger than 30 x 12.5 x 12.5, which would comfortably house a bull snake up to 1 year of age or so.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I do know as babies they are hissy and they have a temper
    Bulls like to bluff and therefore like to hiss and even rattle their tails, in most cases it is bluff but they continue to do it as adults as well, also every snake is different.

The place I planned on purchasing from have CB 09 Yearlings.Can someone explain this too me please.
    Obviously an adult that should have some good size, I would recommend asking questions on temperament.

From the caresheets I have read I don't really see a real humidity answer.I've seen from 30-40% to 50-60%. Rough Idea anyone?
    Ambient humidity is all you need.

I know eventually I will have to place a bull in a bigger tank,but how long should would one grow out of a 30x12.5x12.5 tank?
    Well since you are getting an 09 which is an adult you will need something large enough to house an adult. I keep mine in a rack with tubs that are 34 7/8" L x 16 5/8" W x 6 1/8" H
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts
    You've already gotten good answers to your questions, but I can say I love my little snow morph Bull who I got a bit ago who's a '12 baby. He never hisses, strikes, or tries to bite: the most he does is the tail rattle so some babies are more laid back than others. I got mine from Jonel Lopez and would recommend him: he has ads for '12 babies on Kingsnake Classifieds if you want to grow up a baby.
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I don't know what state you live in, but make sure it's legal to have one first. There's a few states where it's illegal because they are a native species.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~ Herm Albright

The current zoo:
    Pets
    2.1 Felis catus; 1.2 Ringneck Doves; 1.1 Budgies; bunches o' Rats/Mice (pets and feeders);
    2.1 BCI; 1.0 BP; 1.0 Corn; 1.0 Honduran Milksnake; 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa; 0.1 Dumeril's Boa; 1.0 Texas Ratsnake; 1.0 Calico Black Ratsnake; 1.1 Western Hognose; 0.1 Beardie; 0.1 Tawny Plated Lizard; 1.0 Blue-Tongue Skink; 0.1 Crestie; 0.1 Spiny-tailed Iguana; 0.0.1 Chaco Striped Knee Tarantula
    Fosters/Rescues
    2.0 BCI
    0.2.2 BP
    1.0 Corn
    1.0 Red-Foot Tortoise
    1.0 Greek Tortoise
    0.0.10 Leopard Tortoises
    0.0.1 Asian Vine Snake

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Bulls like to bluff and therefore like to hiss and even rattle their tails, in most cases it is bluff but they continue to do it as adults as well, also every snake is different.

Obviously an adult that should have some good size, I would recommend asking questions on temperament.

Ambient humidity is all you need.

Well since you are getting an 09 which is an adult you will need something large enough to house an adult. I keep mine in a rack with tubs that are 34 7/8" L x 16 5/8" W x 6 1/8" H
    Deborah, did a fine job answering your questions, so I'll add comment..
    1st, snake, Get a baby so that you start smaller and you grow together..
    The pituophis family are big time bluffing hissers that are comical for an advanced keeper but would likely intimidate a new keeper..As you have researched and concluded they are N american so you picked something that is easy to care for.. and good luck..They are great snakes and the family (pituophis) comes in a wide array of colors and patterns so you'll have plenty to shop for..

Thanks
    Alrighty.I called the place and they do have some 2012 hatchlings.But I am still not sure on the humdity thing.My room(where I will keep the snake) humdity has dropped at it's lowest to 30% and averages around 40-45%.Same goes for the tank I have setup.Would this be good or no?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rocboyz54 View Post
    Hello all I was looking to purchase my first snake.I was looking a bulls because they corns and kings are too small for my liking and BP aren't(from what I've heard and read)good feeders.So I started looking up on Bulls.I do know as babies they are hissy and they have a temper that will calm with years of handling.So I figure Bulls look good and aren't bad feeders and get big but not enormus.But there seems to be a lack of information and care sheets,but from what I have read they have very simlar requirements to Kings and corns since they are North American snakes.But I still have a few questions I would like to be answered.

-From the caresheets I have read I don't really see a real humidity answer.I've seen from 30-40% to 50-60%. Rough Idea anyone?
    I do not have much knowledge on Bull snakes. However, I do not 100% agree on the BP's not eating theory. Sure some males and females go off feeding at times but, I have some BP's that have never refused a meal. Them not eating can be stressful at times but I wouldn't reconsider getting into the hobby over it.
    Last edited by Mrl249; 10-14-2012 at 04:03 PM.