Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,711

2 members and 3,709 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks
    how many times can you freeze and thaw a mouse if the snake decides not to eat

Thanks
    I would say max 1 re-freeze... I don't know but I've read that they tend to break down nutritiously and possibly splatter if frozen and thawed and frozen and thawed repeatedly. I would only thaw a mouse and re freeze once to prevent a "mouseplotion" (stole that from another quote in another forum post possibly by JLC) if i wasn't low on mice or got a great deal I would probably only thaw once and offer and if denied just toss it to the cats that live oustide my apt. building and wait a week and try with a new mouse.. but you can probably get away with a re-freeze - though more than once and you may have a mess on your hands.
    1.0 Ball Python [Icculus]
    >>>>Looking for a vet?<<<<
    http://www.herpvetconnection.com/
    http://www.arav.org

Thanks
    my snake is so annoying... i got in in january and it has only eaten twice...i tried feeding live for a while but it didnt work... then i left the mouse in the cage the after a bit i decided to kill it then try and it worked....then i tried it the third time and he didnt eat and this is now my second time thawing and he wont eat so im just gonna throw it away.... my snake wont snap at anything.... i put the mouse on tongs and keep hiting him in the face with it because im getting annoyed and he wont even bite it

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Actually, that's Marla's word.
    But you're right...one time, max. Anything beyond that and it's liable to get gross. Also, I wouldn't re-freeze it if it's been out overnight or anything. Only if it's been a short time.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    oh... also if your snake is a BP putting the prey in his face is likely to scare him out of eating .. they are very docile and you may be frightening his hunger away by putting it so close to his face. Just so ya know, but I'm no pro.
    1.0 Ball Python [Icculus]
    >>>>Looking for a vet?<<<<
    http://www.herpvetconnection.com/
    http://www.arav.org

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteTiger9188
    my snake is so annoying... i got in in january and it has only eaten twice...i tried feeding live for a while but it didnt work... then i left the mouse in the cage the after a bit i decided to kill it then try and it worked....then i tried it the third time and he didnt eat and this is now my second time thawing and he wont eat so im just gonna throw it away.... my snake wont snap at anything.... i put the mouse on tongs and keep hiting him in the face with it because im getting annoyed and he wont even bite it
    Ok....it sounds to me like your snake probably isn't eating due to stress. They're very shy and private creatures. Many won't eat if they're being watched, much less whacked in the face with dinner. If you're trying too often, or too hard to make him eat, then he just won't. It's very counter-productive.

Leave him completely alone for at least a week, except to make sure he has fresh, clean water. Maybe even go so far as to keep his cage covered with a towel or something if its in a traffic area. Then after a week or so has passed, offer him a PRE-KILLED mouse and leave him completely alone with it. Don't ever leave your snake alone with live prey. Most important of all, you MUST be very patient. It's not the snake's fault he won't eat, and even if it were, there is nothing you can do about it except to try and think like a snake.

Hopefully some others can offer additional hints to help your reluctant eater learn to relax and feel comfortable in its own home.
    -- Judy