Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 947

4 members and 943 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Thread: Gerbil story

Thanks
    I was debating over whether or not to post this, but I decided it'd be worth sharing feeder animal experiences. Stories are always fun Anyway, my boyfriend was down from Canada last week for Spring beak visiting me, and I asked him if he'd whack a gerbil for me to try to get Eleanor eating again (she's been fasting since early December). He agreed so we went and bought a gerbil. Neither of us realized how creepy gerbils are, lol, I knew I didn't like them but he was completely disgusted by it. On the way home I had to stop at the bank to get pizza money, and apparently while I was inside, Daniel was so disgusted that he decided to put it in a bag and whack it right there in the parking lot. When I came out he told me there was alot of blood and not to open the gerbil box until we got home. I asked how hard he had whacked it and he told me he had to do it four or five times really hard because it just didn't want to die, it wouldn't stop moving. I had forgotten to explain that they twitch after they die (am I right on this?) so he beat the crap out of a dead gerbil. Kind of gross, but funny I guess, lol. Oh, and of course we went through all the grief and Eleanor didn't eat it. She did show interest though, something she hasn't done in months! Anybody have any good feeder stories?
    -Lindsay

0.1 ball python - 1.1 leopard geckos

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh dear!! That's funny, but in a bad car-wreck sort of way. LOL

I ran out of frozen feeders for my snake once, and it was going to be awhile before I could get more...so I went to the pet store to try and get some live fuzzies for him. The bozo at the store either didn't know, or didn't care where their feeder collection was, and he just grabbed me two of the smallest mice he could find in their display tanks. He gave me the impression that it was all they had...and I was too inexperienced at the time to know better.

Anyhow...I take these two home...put one into the feeder box and put my snake into his box...and he FREAKS OUT! He acted like that mouse was the killer bunny from Monty Python or something...all curled up in his rattlesnake imitation, hissing like crazy...striking at the poor mouse over and over again, but only out of defense, never in feeding mode. He never even drew blood.

Eventually, I realized how futile the whole thing was, and somehow managed to get my snake back into his cage without getting bitten myself...then put the traumatized mouse and his buddy in our old gerbil tank. (Yes, I love gerbils and recently kept some as pets! LOL) But not wanting to keep mice as pets, I called the pet store the next day and begged them to take the mice back...told them they could even keep my money if they would just take the critters off my hands.
    -- Judy

Banned
    Thanks
    Ewww

Monty is a gerbils only ball python now, dunno why, he's CB... Try a nice live one. They're super violent, but worth a shot.