Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,115

0 members and 3,115 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Well, Waldo was hiding as usual, but Scooby actually made an appearance this morning in daylight to have his photo made. I'm constantly worrying that one of these tiny guys has escaped, but last night I got to see both at the same time again and actually touched Waldo briefly.

Here's a photo to show how big Scooby is, in comparison with Jessica's finger and the 1/4" hardware cloth (Waldo is just slightly smaller):

Here's a pic of his cute little head:

Here he is drinking off the side of the box:

And here's a closeup of him drinking:
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    What a CUTIE!

Very cute!

One question though.....are you housing them in a screen or wire cage? They aren't the best caging for high-humdity herps like Cresteds......even a screen top glass tank isn't the easiest way to keep them.

VP of Cool
    Thanks
    I love that color
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be ~ Lao Tzu

Thanks
    Thanks, Jennifer and Raj.

David, yes, I am housing them in a wire cage that I made and posted about in the caging forum before getting the cresties. I read numerous care sheets ahead of time and there was no consensus on whether it was best to go with high ventilation as with chameleons or with high humidity, so I followed the advice of the best-written care sheets and made a high-ventilation enclosure and mist them 3x daily and use a substrate which retains moisture well (peat moss). So far they seem very happy with the setup.

The entire enclosure is pvc and hardware cloth painted over with rust-o-leum, with newspaper covering the bottom and a cat litter pan filled with peat moss on top of that, then 3 fake plants attached to the back wall and one attached to the ceiling for hiding spots and a half-dozen or so sticks going every which way for them to climb on and reach the bottom with. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for bad sheds and adjusting husbandry accordingly. However, if I go along with Jessica's suggestion (which I am leaning toward doing), I'll be getting a pair or trio of adults and housing them in this and moving the babies to a spare rubbermaid with spare hardware cloth melted into the top.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cute cute cute!
    -- Judy

I've never heard of anyone using a wire cage for geckos.....its bad not only with humidity but also for thier little toes.....they can get stuck or smashed easily. IMO, it'd be a good idea to just get some rubbermaids and house them that way.....trust me, its going to be impossible to keep the humidity up in a wire cage.

The only herps that are really suited for a wire cage are Chameleons.

Thanks
    I can believe that climbing on the wire a lot could be bad for their little toes. These guys rarely touch the wire, though. They love the kitty litter pan and each has a favorite plant to hide in. I also see them sometimes on the peat moss or newspaper or in the food dish. I'm going to be adding a hygrometer to their setup to check min and max humidity, but with summer coming and ambient humidity of 80%-90% pretty normal around here, I don't think it'll be a big issue for several months yet.

And as I said, these guys will likely be moving to a spare rubbermaid with more ventilation than usual in anticipation of adult cresteds moving into this one. If I have problems with shedding or toes or anything, I'll re-evaluate use of the cage. I certainly don't want to cause them any problems, but I'm not convinced the cage will be a problem yet.

Why more ventilation than usual? You can over-ventilate much easier than you can under-ventilate. All of the Rhac keepers I've ever known of kept their geckos rubbermaids or custom cages (such as BARRs, etc.). All you need to do for ventilation is drill or solder a few holes in the sides of the rubbermaid. Too little humidity will do much more harm than too much.....remember that these guys come from a temperate rainforest climate.

Thanks
    I do know that they come from a temperate rainforest climate, but it's high humidity in cycles rather than constantly, according to what I've read. Also, I read from several sources that ventialtion is important.

Examples:
    Screen cage them if possible. The ventilation, from our research, improves productivity and general activity, especially in groups of 1.3 - 1.5
    If you do choose Rubbermaid containers, make sure enough ventilation is provided to prevent any medical problems that could arise from a damp and stuffy cage. Please do a little more research on housing these animals, they may be easy to keep but they still have basic requirements that have to be met.
    The maintenance temperature for this species should be between 74.3 F (23.5 C) to 84 F (28.8 C) which corresponds to the night / day temperatures experienced in the wild. A period of cooler night temperatures can be instigated in winter 60-66 F (16-19 C). Humidity levels at 74% to 84% can be maintained by simply spraying through the screen tops or sides of their cage. Good ventilation is essential for these animals and mesh cages such as RepCage aluminium screen cages have proven to be excellent for this purpose.
    Good ventilation is important for Crested Geckos, and a screen top glass enclosure should be a minimum set up. Better yet, because Crested Geckos are primarily arboreal, is an all screen enclosure that is taller than it is long (for example 18w x 18d x 24h).
    All Crested Geckos should be lightly misted with water once every evening as they will do best with moderate humidity.
    A screen enclosure measuring 18L x 18W x 24H inches or a screen tubular cage or "tube" cage measuring 24H x 18 diameter inches can house a pair or 1.2 (one male and two females) comfortably. [...] Glass aquariums with screen tops have been used successfully. A 20-gallon tall glass terrarium can comfortably house 1.2 specimens. The bottom should be lined with moss substrate to avoid snout injury when catching preys. Dry branches and live plants should be added. The only drawback of glass terrariums is poor ventilation.
    I didn't just decide to put them in a screen cage without considering it, David. I will monitor them and adjust husbandry as needed. I take as good care of my guys as I am capable of doing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast