Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 964

3 members and 961 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    okay so this looks like a pretty strange question and I supppose that it is.. but I am a new owner and am waiting a week (my guy arrived March 17th) to let him adapt and such before I try feeding... I have been reading every feeding troubleshooting guide i can get my hands on just in case and I'm afraid I have freaked myself out - so have any of you not had trouble feeding a BP? Because I'm starting to think that my snake may starve to death based on all the horror stories I've been reading.
    1.0 Ball Python [Icculus]
    >>>>Looking for a vet?<<<<
    http://www.herpvetconnection.com/
    http://www.arav.org

Thanks

Have any of you NOT had trouble with feeding a Royal Python?

I for one have not had any trouble with my BP feeding. I have only had him for 6 month's, but have had no trouble. The only thing, though it is not feeding trouble, is the attempts at switching him over to f/t was a disaster. He prefers live and it look's like he is going to get his way.
    The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is....

....Tattooed people don't care if you're not tattooed.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Pics of Sixx's after fasting meal

Jonah....I think that's one of the hardest adjustments I had to make when first taking on a snake as a pet. They just don't eat like we do...or any of our typical four- or two-legged friends. It was hard to wait a week between meals. It felt like I was starving him! And if he had to go for longer than a week...oh my goodness! We get so anxious!

Now he's getting over a three MONTH fast...and he's not even a fat bp...he's a slender little gopher. You wouldn't think they would have the reserves go through something like that...but he did...and by his own choice.

Trust me, your snake can easily (and even comfortably!) survive for weeks, or even months, without eating. You'll have plenty of time to "troubleshoot" and figure out what he prefers to eat. Icc won't starve to death...I promise you!!
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Thanks... I think it will just take a while for my nurturing instinct to settle down! haha I'm checking temps like every hour - this will pass right? haha I have things to do .. haha..

Thanks
    on another note these snakes are such incredible amazing creatures!! I watched him inspect the tank for about an hour and a half this morning (like three am) - so beautiful and inquisitive! I've just really gotten extremely attatched in such a short time! I think I will just worry until he eats or until my stomach wears out. Is a week enough time for him to settle? or should I go like nine days just to be sure?

Thanks
    When I first got mine it would not eat for awhile. It didn't take thawed mice only live for a time. But now she's right back on track with frozen. I've also heard that a bp can go on for awhile without eating.
    -BallPython713 8)
    0.0.1 BP (Bernice)

Thanks
    The only "trouble" we've had with any of our snakes is that our younger ball python seems to prefer fresh-killed to frozen/thawed. Also, curiously, he seems to prefer white mice over black ones. We just got a shipment of frozen black mice this week, though, so we're going to have to work a little harder to get him switched over.

Other than that, all of our snakes have been really good eaters so far (knock on wood).

VP of Cool
    Thanks
    I for one do not have any problems with feeding, yet. He eats anything May it be white mice, brown mice, black mice, black and white mice, he is one equal opportunity constrictor :lol:
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be ~ Lao Tzu

My '02 male was an awesome feeder until this past October when he went on his winter fast. I converted him from live mice to f/t rats with no problem at all.

Thanks
    I've never had a problem. He always slams his food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast