Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,384

2 members and 3,382 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    I'm having the exact same issue with my ball. He has stayed on the hot side almost constantly since I got him... now he is staying on the cool side. So confusing

Thanks
    Snakes will self regulate if they are given the option. Thus, why you generally offer a warm and a cool (not cold) environment in an enclosure.

My snakes will choose a cool side with a hide over a warm side with no hide. This is also a consideration.
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Normal

Thanks

New snake hiding in the cold side

I realized my snake prefers the cool side. I find him hiding there every morning, roaming at night to the warm side. My temps are about 95 on the warm side and 80 on the cool. Is this ok?

i even startled him this morning because I wanted to make sure he was still breathing. He struck at me but didn’t bite. I’m assuming he thought I was prey.

also should I use a basking light in the middle of the cage for (6 hours) right now all I’m using is a under the heat matt because I found when I used both a purple 50 watt light and the uth my warm side temp was too hot.

Tips please!!!

I have a 20 gallon tank

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: New snake hiding in the cold side

Quote Originally Posted by Shke0 View Post
    I realized my snake prefers the cool side. I find him hiding there every morning, roaming at night to the warm side. My temps are about 95 on the warm side and 80 on the cool. Is this ok?

i even startled him this morning because I wanted to make sure he was still breathing. He struck at me but didn’t bite. I’m assuming he thought I was prey.

also should I use a basking light in the middle of the cage for (6 hours) right now all I’m using is a under the heat matt because I found when I used both a purple 50 watt light and the uth my warm side temp was too hot.

Tips please!!!

I have a 20 gallon tank
    You're replying to a 5 year old thread that's been dead for 4 years.

Start a new thread, you'll get more readers and more replies.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: New snake hiding in the cold side

Quote Originally Posted by Shke0 View Post

Tips please!!!

I have a 20 gallon tank
    95 maybe a tad high tbh ..

Either way if any of my snakes spend too much time one one particular side I tend to adjust the heating accordingly so they do move around from one side to the other occasionally just to thermoregulate .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Re: snake constantly stays on the cold side of the tank?

Quote Originally Posted by fhbob View Post
    Anyone ever see this. My snake stays in the hide on the cold side of the tank constantly. I even moved the under tank heater to the other side and he moved to the cold side within an hour. I measured the temp using an infrared thermometer and the warm side is sitting around 90. Why would my snake prefer the cold side so much?
    I have a young female like that. Ever since I brought her home as a hatchling, she prefers the cold side of her bin and often wraps around the water bowl. My hot side is about 88 F., cold side is about 78 F. I used to worry about it and move her back to the warm side, but she'd return to the cold side next time I checked. Occasionally, she'll compromise and park her butt in the hot hide but the rest of her body is stretched out toward the cooler end.
    Apparently she never read the book on preferred temperatures for ball pythons.
    Last edited by B.P.'s 4me; 05-19-2018 at 09:54 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12