Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,870

0 members and 2,870 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

Tips on "how to sell" large lots of snakes pleez....

So, me and my hubby to be need to let go of a large portion of our collection...(its very hard for us to choose which ones go ). Its roughly about 15 BPs and one lucy ratsnake. Now, weve posted smaller lots before on CL and fauna, here, even little paper flyers, but we haven't had much success. We've sold one here and there, but we need to move more snakes than just two or three. And it seems that weve had people that are interested them and never call us back, or say they will meet us to buy them, but then never answer the calls from us on the day we agreed to meet. Any of you out there have success in selling groups of animals? What tips could you give us to help sell them better (other then making them super cheap), make them more appealing, and guarantee a sale and not get someone whos just gonna *@!# us around??? Its hard to have to sell that many in our collection, but we have a wedding to pay for, and have decided to concentrate on multiple gene animals. Your success stories would be great to hear about too!
    Last edited by 4theSNAKElady; 09-11-2012 at 07:45 PM.
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 971 Posts

Re: Tips on "how to sell" large lots of snakes pleez....

Kingsnake.com...You'll have a harder time retailing the group all at once...If you need them all gone ASAP your best bet is to reach out to a Flipper...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to coldbloodaddict For This Useful Post:

RobNJ (09-12-2012)

Thanks

Exactly what Jon said...not too many people are interested in large group purchases, and those that are will be looking to turn them around for a quick sale to make some $$. If you have time to part them out and sell individually, definitely the way to go...in a group like that, I'd say you'd be fortunate for someone to offer 50-60 cents to the dollar you're looking for.

Cape Coral, Florida, originally from Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks

In my experience, very few people are interested in large group purchases unless they can instantly and easily flip them.

Think about it, with so many types of BPs, very few people will want the exact grouping that you are offering. and in most cases, if someone has, let's say, the $5000 to buy a group of 15 low/mid-end snakes that they don't all want (just an example), most would rather buy a couple high end snakes that they would want, that would give them the best bang for their buck. That's why it's very hard to sell a group unless at wholesale pricing.

Another thing to consider is the massive relief and convenience of getting rid of all of them at once... this saves you alot of time, effort, feeding, headaches, etc. and this translates into an even lower price for the group because all the work is now dumped on the buyer. The larger, the lower.. lol

How low? Well if I had to buy a group and am not thrilled with every animal in the group, or don't have the space (because let's face it, we snake addicts don't usually have empty cage space at all, not to mention 15 empties.. lol.. this cost the buyer more money and/or more work), I would have to buy it so cheap, that I can flip them quick, which means cheap, and still male a little. Let's say purchase at 50% of value, and quickly turn for 70% of value, so i'm not sitting on them. and this is still work and hassle for the flipper, even though it's what they may like to do and may pay dividends at the end like a free snake or two.

So the cheap option is obvious... post the group at about 60% of value and take 50%. Hey i've taken 30% of value on a large group because the hassle it saves me is priceless. But this can still take long.. for reasons i've already mentioned and because most snake people don't have $5k-$10k laying around... they get some extra money and buy another BP, one at a time.. lol... like good little addicts.. lol (who me? )

I think a better option would be to post a good individual ad with great pics and price them at about 70%-75% of value.

In my experience, a great ad for a good snake that is cheap, ALWAYS sells faster than a group that is even cheaper. ALWAYS!

and reach out to people who do this.. pet stores, vendors at shows, etc. I know lots of vendors that buy pre-show and dump post-show, because once you have to take it home, lots of real profit is gone.

also consider trading for something that would be easier to sell, and even bartering for something you initially intended to use the money on!

Just my experience...

BTW, where is teh list... can we see it?
    He that flings dirt at another dirtieth himself most. ~Thomas Fuller
    Never look down on someone… unless you are helping them up. ~Erin Majors
    You don’t build a reputation on what you are GOING to do. ~Henry Ford
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. ~Ghandi
    Always assume your assumption is invalid!

Thanks
    PICTURES PICTURES AND MORE PICTURES!!!

Pictures say a thousand words and when you are attempting to sell an animal for hundreds of dollars you really need a great picture. And cell phones do not take GREAT pictures. Take a look at some of John's at ColdBlooded Addictions pictures or mine.....lol. I also second the kingsnake idea and facebook is another great media.

Also where is the list? I havent seen it.
    Loads of balls around here
    1.0 Hubby, 1.0 New Son, 1.0 Dachshund

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts
    To move a snake fast, you have to have:
    1) someone who's interested see your animal
    2) see a price for it that you are asking
    3) think that price is a great price to pay
    4) is able to pay that price
    5) REALLY want the snake

So if you have BEAUTIFUL snakes, they will move faster. If you have snakes that are priced competitively, they will move faster.

In general, you're not going to sell a ball python fast at a price you think is fair, because most people base "fair" prices on the asking price of what already exists in zillions of posts on fauna.. the exception being if your snake is a prettier version than all the other similar ones out there. If your animals aren't moving fast, it's because your price point is off, relative to both the perceived value of your animals and how fast you want your animals to be sold.

Cheap morphs that aren't well above average in looks are just plain hard to move.

I'd stay away from Craigslist unless you're giving a snake away for free or selling an animal for $25. The demand for morphs just isn't there.

Plus, feel free to utilize the bp.net classifieds.

Thanks
    Definitely post a list of what you're looking to sell. I'm in NJ and while I can't buy the whole lot, I might be interested in some if you've got what I want/need at the right price.
    Kevin Johnson
    0.2 Normal BP -- 0.1 Pastel BP -- 0.1 Spider BP -- 0.1 Het Red Axanthic BP -- 0.1 Ghost dinker
    2.1 Het Pied BP
    1.0 Lesser Bee BP -- 1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly BP -- 1.0 Mojave BP -- 1.0 Black Pastel BP -- 1.0 Cinny (poss het ghost) -- 1.0 Champagne

1.0 Irian Jaya Carpet Python

1.0 Hypo/Hog Island Boa

iHerp
    Facebook
    Google+

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Please remember we do not allow sales language in the main forums - so if the OP had taken your request and posted a list they would likely have gotten into trouble.

We have a specific for sale forum and a PM system - neither of those will cause anyone to break the rules of the site.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

Please remember we do not allow sales language in the main forums - so if the OP had taken your request and posted a list they would likely have gotten into trouble.

We have a specific for sale forum and a PM system - neither of those will cause anyone to break the rules of the site.

dr del
    Of course... I would never condone breaking forum rules. What I meant to say was PM me the list or start a new thread in the appropriate forum...
    Kevin Johnson
    0.2 Normal BP -- 0.1 Pastel BP -- 0.1 Spider BP -- 0.1 Het Red Axanthic BP -- 0.1 Ghost dinker
    2.1 Het Pied BP
    1.0 Lesser Bee BP -- 1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly BP -- 1.0 Mojave BP -- 1.0 Black Pastel BP -- 1.0 Cinny (poss het ghost) -- 1.0 Champagne

1.0 Irian Jaya Carpet Python

1.0 Hypo/Hog Island Boa

iHerp
    Facebook
    Google+

Cape Coral, Florida, originally from Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks

also please PM me the list or PM me the link to the sales post. thanks
    He that flings dirt at another dirtieth himself most. ~Thomas Fuller
    Never look down on someone… unless you are helping them up. ~Erin Majors
    You don’t build a reputation on what you are GOING to do. ~Henry Ford
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. ~Ghandi
    Always assume your assumption is invalid!