Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,387

3 members and 1,384 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    What kind of rodents do you feed your bp??
    -BallPython713 8)
    0.0.1 BP (Bernice)

Both of my BPs eat f/t rats.

Thanks
    Big ole mice right now due to size (of bp's) - they'll move up to rats eventually.

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Thanks
    I raise rats for my bp. Sometimes he gets three pinkies, sometimes one or two mid sized juevies, or one adult. Pretty much just munches through the litter as they grow. By the time he knocks off the last surviving pup, it has grown large and I have another litter comming right up.

Thanks
    All of ours are still fairly small and eating mice because the rats they could take down are too small to have much calcium or protein. I do plan to get them switched to rats, but i won't be heartbroken if they never are. As long as they eat enough mice, that's fine.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    i voted rats. all my snakes will be eating rats soon except the corn. i just gotta switch over one baby BP and a baby boa.

Quote Originally Posted by Marla
    All of ours are still fairly small and eating mice because the rats they could take down are too small to have much calcium or protein. I do plan to get them switched to rats, but i won't be heartbroken if they never are. As long as they eat enough mice, that's fine.
    Actually, once they get a good size its best to switch them over to rats ASAP. Feeding too many prey items can wreak havoc on the gut flora of the snake. One prey item that is slightly larger than the thickest part of the snake's body is ideal.

I was able to switch all of my picky eaters over to rats by using the "Bait & Trick method".....I offered a mouse smaller than what they normally eat (for example, a fuzzy mouse) then after the snake has eaten the mouse and while its still in hunt mode, I offer a medium sized rat (a rat pinky or fuzzy-depending on the size of the snake). Works like a charm.

Rats of course.....best for nutrition

Thanks
    According to our vet, multiple mice is fine. Still, the two newest guys are hatchling size and Snyder, the biggest, is only around 135 grams. She should be heavier at her length but is still making up for her illness. These are some seriously little ball pythons we have here. I will probably be trying to switch Snyder over before too long and start fattening her up with little rats.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

A couple of mice....fine. But a full grown BP will need 4-5 mice to equal an appropriately sized rat meal......not advisable IMO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast