Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,093

1 members and 3,092 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Iguana Care

Thanks

They're heeeere!

I recently took in a young adult iguana and have no idea how to care for him/her. I have a 20 gallon long with branches but i know its not big enough i will fix that today. I can handle the food and humidity and temps, I guess the big question is, how do I tame this little bugger. Everytime I open it up hes out running around the house at full speed running head first into walls. He won't even let me touch him with out freaking out? HELP
    0.1 Regular Ball Python (Xibalba)
    1.0 American Pitbull Terrier (Gandhi)
    0.1 German Shepherd (Bailey)
    1.1 Mixed Rescue Cats (Horus and Manji)

"Walmart is the scum of this great country of ours and is spreading like an infection. Death To Walmart and every corporation like them..."

Thanks
    Heh. Good luck. The two that I provided temporary homes for never approached "tame" and the bigger one I had to handle with teflon gloves after I learned he had no problem slicing me open with that tail of his.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    yeah i heard their tails can get pretty viscous.
    0.1 Regular Ball Python (Xibalba)
    1.0 American Pitbull Terrier (Gandhi)
    0.1 German Shepherd (Bailey)
    1.1 Mixed Rescue Cats (Horus and Manji)

"Walmart is the scum of this great country of ours and is spreading like an infection. Death To Walmart and every corporation like them..."

Thanks
    A ticked off adult male iguana iguana is not something I care to tangle with.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Rusty may have some good advice for you when she sees this. I don't know for sure, but I imagine she's taken in a few wild iquanas.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    We had an iguana for a little while, and I've known people who kept them for quite a while, and from my experience, I don't know that they ever enjoy being handled or petted, but like Judy said, Rusty would know far better than us.

One thing I do know is that they must have UVB lighting, which an ordinary basking bulb doesn't provide. Without UVB lighting, they will develop metabolic bone disease which will kill them if not treated promptly.

Here's a webpage I found that seems to have a good deal of information about iguana care: http://www.iguanaanswers.co.uk/

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've heard of iguanas that are very gentle and social and seem to greatly enjoy human interaction....but those are only ones that have been hand-raised in the same loving home from little babies. I've never heard of a large juvie or adult that was made tame. Of course, I haven't exactly heard every story out there! LOL
    -- Judy

Thanks
    i used to have a green iguana. he was very friendly. he never once showed any signs of aggression. he was about 4 feet. and he was a male. i had to sell him though because we built his cage into our wall, and then we moved and we had no more room. it was very sad but i was only about 5 when this happend so i dont remember too much