Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,116

1 members and 3,115 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts

FLIGHTY Ball Python

My OG has been skittish and flighty since I got her. She used to trace movements and act like she was going to strike. Now she just points in the opposite direction and takes off. I have tried to handle her gently here and there, but it's usually as nerve wracking for me as it is for her. Recently when I take her out just to change her to a clean tub, when I pick her up she fully extends away from me and pulls, trying to get away and even thrashes a bit. She's very forceful and panicky throughout and usually hisses a bit as well while thrashing.

I don't really mind not handling her a ton, but is there any kind of technique anyone has used to help calm a snake like this down? She's only 900g or so right now, but I'm thinking this is going to be a huge hassle to deal with if/when she breaks 2,000 or more grams or if I ever need to soak her, bring her to the vet, administer medicine, etc. I'd rather do what I can now.

I have tried holding her out for 5 min and not putting her back until she's totally calm. At this point I'm not sure if I can even attempt that because of this flightyness.

So anything other than short handling sessions that can help this?
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    Long handling sessions...

20 minutes or so to allow the snake long enough time to know it can't just run away from you and that you aren't going to hurt it.
    I have tamed a number of "runners" by insisting they spend time with me
    Jerry Robertson

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to snakesRkewl For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-22-2016),bigSAK (02-22-2016),Kokorobosoi (02-22-2016),MrLang (09-10-2012),SmoothScales (02-22-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Well it is possible that nothing you do will calm her down. The calm gentle touch you are doing is likely the best way perhaps starting slower and just touching her sides instead of actually handling her might help too. I also found that a bit of your scent from a bit of cloth (I just wore an old shirt around for a day and then cut it up) placed in the hides help to relax my flighty ones at least for spot cleaning, mine went from crazy hissing and posturing to just staying out of the way.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

MrLang (09-10-2012)

Thanks
    I found that by touching the sides of our little Pied (who is very very nervous) and generally 'touching' him instead of just letting him crawl through our hands, he started to learn that he didn't have to flinch away from every touch. He started to calm down and explore nicely, rather than frantically trying to get away.
    - Danielle

Snakes are just tails with faces....
    1.0 Pied BP, 1.0 Crested Gecko, 1.0 RAPTOR Leopard gecko, , 0.1 Desert Pin BP, 1.0 Albino BP, 0.1 Leachie Gecko

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Vasiliki For This Useful Post:

MrLang (09-11-2012)

Thanks

Re: FLIGHTY Ball Python

Our new baby girl is starting to act the same way. Going from ball to super flight in a split second. On the good side she's not trying to bite us anymore, but on the other side she's squirming around like crazy! She's still very young, probably only about 200g, maybe less. So I'm just going to keep at it and hopefully she'll relax over time. I'm going to try to gently put her in a ball next time she gets panicked like that and see if it helps calm her down. Or maybe she'll wear herself out after a while of running. I'll let you know how it works out. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

I find that the technique put forth by Justin Kobylka for aggressive young ball pythons works very well. It seems like it might be worth a try in this case. It's flightiness as opposed to aggressiveness I know. 900 grams is a healthy animal but what I would do is place the animal on a soft comfortable surface and try to get her into a coiled position and then use both hands and cup them softly but firmly over the top of the python limiting her movements. Every time she tries to crawl away you softly but firmly bring her back under your cupped hands. Your not hurting her at all but you are dominating her and her movements. I would do this for about 5 to 10 minutes tops. It will be a process that will have to be practiced but it may help.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 02-22-2016 at 04:03 PM.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    You could also try providing her with a sort of hide when she's out, such as a dark pillowcase or a hat sitting in your lap. Then she can have an experience of feeling safe when she's out of the tank. Then you can gradually get her used to being moved around or being touched while she still also has some cover.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Lol this thread is 4 years old!! You guys are hard up for some new stuff aren't you!!??
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-22-2016)

Thanks

Posting on old threads can help new people. The original poster may not need the help any longer but new snake owners (like me) may appreciate the new info.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lafasta For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-22-2016),se7en (02-22-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Lol this thread is 4 years old!! You guys are hard up for some new stuff aren't you!!??
    Honestly Sauzo, I didn't even look at the date. Lol. But I do agree that by responding to the thread it may help someone with a similar issue. I think that is one of the reasons old threads resurface or get bumped. Haha. It is a bit embarrassing initially.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Coluber42 (02-22-2016)