Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,905

1 members and 2,904 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Feeding Scare :O

So last night was feeding time for my 2 month old BP. For a baby she is VERY docile and has never struck at me under any circumstance. Last night however I was sure it was going to be my first time being struck at with her. So usually I will feed her a f/w fuzzy on a rock she uses to bask on. I don't like feeding her in her terrarium because I have aspen down and don't want her to eat any of it on accident, but the rock up top has a pretty large area enough for her to stay on it and eat.

Last night when she struck at it she didn't get a clean grab and it flew from her mouth down onto the aspen. During the strike she tore open the fuzzy's stomach and it's innerds came out causing a bunch of aspen to get stuck to them. I immediately knew this was bad, but she went down off the rock grabbed the fuzzy again. I knew I didn't have a lot of time, and I didn't want to wrestle the food from her know she could strike me but also lose interest in the meal. I picked her up while it was in her mouth with one hand and began pulling the aspen from the guts with my other hand all the while she was attempting to consume the fuzzy. Amazingly she didn't stop what she was doing at all she just kept right eating regardless of me holding her or putting my hand so close to her mouth while she was eating. I managed to get all of the aspen off just before she finished swallowing and set her back in her home.

Today she is just fine sleeping in her hide. I see no signs of injury or agitation... whew...

Thanks

Re: Feeding Scare :O

I wouldn't worry about a little substrate -remember, they digest bone. But it's awesome that you're showing so much concern for him. That said, there's no reason to feed your little one anywhere but in his enclosure. Finally - are you feeding mouse or rat fuzzies? The reason I ask is that, generally, mouse fuzzies are WAY too small for a 2 month old BP.

Congrats on your adoption, though! And the start of an addiction...
    BPs...
    2.3 Normals, 1.1 Pastels, 0.1 Spider, 1.1 100% het albinos, 1.1 albinos, 1.0 Mojave, 1.1 het pieds, 1.0 lesser, 0.1 pinstripe, 0.1 YB

Other reptilian goodness...

0.1 black motley corn, 0.1 western hognose

Wait, you have how many snakes???

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    A little bit of substrate isn't too bad...but the prey should not be breaking open when you feed it. How are you heating it up?

Also, I agree with the previous post, mouse fuzzies are way too small. Bump her up to small adult mice! Don't worry, they can eat things much bigger than you would think.
    ~Steffe

BPnet Senior Member CD CONSTRICTORS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 658 Posts
    Once my hatchlings take their 2nd or 3rd fuzzy from me they go to 10-15g rat pups. They do just fine and fare better on the rats.

Thanks
    Where do you guys buy your feeders, is Layne good?

Registered User CDs Ball Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    It's nice to see your concern, but a few bits of substrate shouldn't hurt. And I'll +1 on the rat pups, it'll be better for him/her in the long run.
    Proud Breeder of Ball Pythons
    Please "Like" Us on Facebook!