Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,119

1 members and 3,118 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

Does this sound like "stolen" balls to you?

So a co-worker of mine (i work in a pet store) was approached by a woman who said her hubby/bf/man had some balls he needed to get rid of quick. She said that he would sell the whole lot of them cheap. After a few moments, the man came up and took over the conversation. My co worker already had a spider, and had been looking to get another morph. The man at first said his wife/gf told him he had to get rid of the snakes ASAP because she didnt like them, and was my co-worker interested? The collection was an albino, pinstripe, pair of pastels, spider, and a normal with a six-tub 42qt rack with heat and a helix thermostat. Asking price $250!!!! This was about a week ago. My co worker showed me pics of the snakes before he made the purchase. I couldnt beleive it! Too good to be true, I said. Well, a few days ago, my co-woker tells me he has snakes in hand. He was able to get the money, and he brought a couple of the snakes in yesterday to show me, which I sexed for him. I saw a nice male albino, roughly 800g. And I saw a female pinstripe about 600g. He showed pics of the others and the rack. He will be bringing them into work so I can sex them tomorrow. I began to ask him questions about the guys motive, and the reason he was selling so cheap. My co worker said the night before the purchase, he talked to the guy on the phone, who changed his story. he said "I just want to give the snakes a good home"....as to the reason why they were so cheap. My coworker's dad, who has been in the pet business for quite some time, is on the same page as I am....I suspect they were stolen. I mean, even if someone was really REALLY desperate to unload snakes, they would still not sell them that cheap! I mean, he could have gotten $250 for the rack alone! Even lowballing prices would still set the group and rack between $700-$800!!! What do you think????? And is anybody missing some snakes in the Philly/Jersey/Delaware/MD area????
    Last edited by 4theSNAKElady; 09-06-2012 at 02:32 PM.
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Thanks
    sounds very possible to me, and it would be hysterical if it was actually someone on here and you guys got the guy arrested for it, that would be: Ball Community 1 Douchebag 0

yeah something defiantly not right there... ask the guy questions about bp's he probably wont be able to answer them and then you'll know for sure
    1.0 Pastel "Daddy"
    0.1 Spider "Spidder"
    0.1 Normals "Momma"
    0.1 Pastel "Precious"
    1.0 LesserBee "Zero"

I'm happy to announce Skinny the rescue has been brought back to full health and re-homed to a good family

Thanks
    Could be stolen or there could be another story behind it. If they are discovered to be stolen, then your friend could be charged with receiving stolen property.

Thanks

Re: Does this sound like "stolen" balls to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Could be stolen or there could be another story behind it. If they are discovered to be stolen, then your friend could be charged with receiving stolen property.
    Ha! Thats what I told him!! Getting balls that cheap could cost you BIG FINES. Another reason theres no such thing as cheap balls. My fiancee told me that it could also possibly be that the guy was keeping them illegally and someone found out about it....but anyways, Im leaning towards the stolen thing. I mean, I guess my co_worker is in the clear if no one reports them stolen, but I am cautious. And Im not buying the whole "I want them to go to good homes" BS. Any good or responsible breeder would not let his balls go that cheap, because a person who is willing to pay a decent full price for a snake is probably knowledgeable of its value and more apt to take care of it and give it a good home.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Pretty sure you would have to know they were stolen to be charged. Best bet would be to report it to the police. That should cover your butt.
    Over 60...

Thanks
    He'd be unlikely to be charged unless he knew they were stolen, or there was some obvious indicators beyond the cheap price that should have set-off red flags and any reasonable person would have suspected they were stolen, or he tries to withhold them from the proper owner if they are identified as stolen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LotsaBalls View Post
    Pretty sure you would have to know they were stolen to be charged. Best bet would be to report it to the police. That should cover your butt.
    Cant be convicted unless he had knowledge that they were in fact illegally obtained by the seller. Which even if he did know that he obviously wouldn't admit that to the police and the police would have a hard time proving it anyways which is why its so rare that people get charged with it.

your coworker/friend is safe.

<-- Law Enforcement Major

see school does make you smarter after all

EDIT as OmNomNom stated if he was approached by the true original owner and refused to return them, then he has another situation in which usually results in the court forcing him to give them up and him not getting his money back.
    Last edited by jfaria1891; 09-06-2012 at 03:12 PM.
    1.0 Pastel "Daddy"
    0.1 Spider "Spidder"
    0.1 Normals "Momma"
    0.1 Pastel "Precious"
    1.0 LesserBee "Zero"

I'm happy to announce Skinny the rescue has been brought back to full health and re-homed to a good family

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jfaria1891 For This Useful Post:

4theSNAKElady (09-06-2012)

Thanks

Yeah...I hope its just ends up being a deal of the century for him. Because he doesnt really know much about the BP market, prices and whatnot. Only from what Ive told him and what hes read a little. Basically, he knows "morphs are cool" and thats about it.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL

Registered User CDs Ball Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    That is odd, to be sure. If it's legit it's a heck of a find though.
    Proud Breeder of Ball Pythons
    Please "Like" Us on Facebook!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LotsaBalls View Post
    They won't do anything without proof, but it's always good to have a report made up for records. If someone does report them later, it's already been recorded. Someone could be away on vacation and someone stole the snakes. There was also a story here not too long ago of a drug-addicted roommate or relative (I can't remember) that stole a person's albino and sold it cheap immediately after. The snake was eventually returned to the original owner just by chance.

I agree. Sounds too good to be true. A quick buck. Report it, just to make sure.
    Last edited by Vasiliki; 09-06-2012 at 03:20 PM.
    - Danielle

Snakes are just tails with faces....
    1.0 Pied BP, 1.0 Crested Gecko, 1.0 RAPTOR Leopard gecko, , 0.1 Desert Pin BP, 1.0 Albino BP, 0.1 Leachie Gecko

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast