Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,952

1 members and 2,951 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

humane euthanization (for fish)

does anyone know of a humane way to put down a fish? I've heard freezing them in a ziplock bag, but I'd like some better ideas than flushing him down the toilet. I have a male betta who is over four years old and his swim bladder just blew up to the size of a small marble this week, so I think it's about his time. I know it's only a betta, but he's been with me for about four years, and sending him to suffocate down the sewer pipes just seems ignominious.

thanks in advance.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    We use Orajel to put down froglets with Spindley Leg Syndrome. I would research to see if you can use the same with fish.

A quick Google search said Clove Oil is also good.

Are you sure you don't need to treat the swim bladder issue?

"Bettas may recover on their own, but since overfeeding induces swimbladder disorders in most cases, the first thing to do is feed a lot less. Brine shrimp and too much of it is the biggest culprit, so if your bettas are bellysliding, stop the brine shrimp for a while and thereafter learn to have a more balanced diet, alternating brine shrimp with microworms or worms (depending on how old your bettas are). Do not kill a betta with a swimbladder disorder. It may recover on its own at any time, and is not suffering. Further more, the ailment is NOT contagious. To help the fish if it cannot eat, lower the water level. Adding some BettaZing to the water for a few weeks may not hurt either ."

Quote from Bettatalk.com

And another link
    http://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/swim-bladder-disorder/
    Last edited by aldebono; 09-06-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Angela

Thanks
    Four is not old for a generally healthy betta. Have you tried the pea thing (half a thawed mushed pea, no other food for the week)? That helped a lot of my betta rescues with swim bladder and bloat issues (the swollen belly could be bloat, which will affect the swim bladder).

As far as euthanizing fish, I always did the freezing thing. I usually only did that if it was something untreatable and the fish was visibly suffering (such as dropsy). I've had fish with impaired swim bladder function that still lived well for over a year, especially one old betta of mine -I gave him a smallish (1gal, one of those self-contained units with the lighting and filter built into the lid) warm tank with a lowered water level and lots of plants, feisty little guy had a great appetite despite swim bladder issues and a crooked spine.
    Last edited by LotusCorvus; 09-06-2012 at 02:57 PM.
    1.2 Normal BPs (Sekhmet, Tefnut, Vincent*)
    0.1 Coral Albino RTB (Eisheth)
    1.0 RTB (Cassanova*)
    0.3 Nicaraguan RTB (Type 2 Black Eye Anery w/Genetic Stripe. Eevee*, Daeva, A*)
    0.1 Corn (probably corn/rat mix. Trouble)
    1.0 Splendida King snake (Freebi)
    1.0 Leopard Gecko (Little Dude*)
    0.2 Halloween Crested Gecko: (Thing1*, Thing2*)
    1.1 Columbian BCC (Oolong, Pippin. Currently fostering with a friend)
    *Long-term pet sitting, not actually mine

Thanks
    thanks for the responses. I was under the impression the average life span was only about three years. I don't overfeed, and he's always been in a solo 1.5 gallon apartment, but I guess if he can stick it out a bit longer, I'll hold off. swim bladder disorders always proved to be the end of the road when I kept aquaria, so I just assumed the worst.

Thanks
    salt.
    spooky

Thanks
    Actually, pea isn't all that healthy for bettas! Frozen daphnia(available at almost any petstore that sells fish) does the same thing, but without the added stress on their digestive system caused by eating the pea. Daphnia will clear them out completely. If that doesn't work, try adding one tsp of epsom salt per gallon of water the betta is in.

Epsom salt fixes most betta internal issues. Makes everything just flow better.

And the most humane method is sadly the most brutal. Crushing of the head and all that... But that's not the most humane on the poor owners. Second most humane method is the clove oil method. http://www.oscarfishlover.com/helpfu...euthanize-fish

Also, what are his water temps? Sometimes bumping it up a few degrees just helps them digest everything much nicer.

Swim bladder disorders in bettas are pretty much the easiest to cure compared to some of the other nasties they can get! Good luck!

Bettas can live anywhere between two and seven years! Some have even lived longer. It's all about how healthy they are and pretty much their will to live. He may be around for a while longer as a grumpy old fish!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to purplemuffin For This Useful Post:

wwmjkd (09-06-2012)

Thanks

Re: humane euthanization (for fish)

ive slain fish with a knife in the brain they instant die