Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,283

0 members and 3,283 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Ferrets: Whole prey diet

Hey guys. Anybody feed their ferrets a whole prey diet? Right now mine are eating zupreem, but once im producing rats quickly enough I intend to switch them over eating 1 Medium prekilled rat a day each. But ive got a few questions about the logistics.

1) How long do I leave the food out for them? I dont want them to run around and hide dead rats everywhere so Im makung them a playpen to eat and sleep in. I dont want the food to rot, but I dont want them stuck in a pen all day waiting for them to eat it either yaknow?

2) How should I present the rat? Do I just kill it, and give it to them? Am I supposed to drain it of blood and chop it into bits and present it like wet food? etc.

3) How long will it take for the raw diet to start benefiting them? Ive got one ferret whose fat like you wouldnt beleive, and wont stop eating, another another ferret(a rescue who was SEVERELY underweight when I got him 2 months ago) who eats, but he just seems to be getting a potbelly instead of actually gaining weight.

Thanks for reading guys, I appreciate it = D

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    PM satomi.

She's a ferret mogul!

EDIT: actually i think she'd be a mogulette...
    Last edited by Mike41793; 09-03-2012 at 10:59 PM.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

Riv (09-03-2012),satomi325 (09-04-2012)

BPnet Senior Member I-KandyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    PM satomi.

She's a ferret mogul!

EDIT: actually i think she'd be a mogulette...
    x2 she feeds hers live prey

---------
    0.1 Dog (Truffles)
    0.1 Naked Cat (Mercedes)
    1.0 Hamster (Pumpkin)
    1.1 Bumblebees (Satyana & Weedle)
    0.3 Normals (Shayla, Rita and Althea)
    0.1 100% Het Pied Ringer (Avalon)
    1.0 Pied (Monsieur Piederoff)
    1.0 Lesser 100% Het Albino poss het OG (Tinersons)
    0.1 Spider Albino (Ivy)
    0.1 Mojave Cinnamon (Morticia)
    1.1 Normal BCIs (Damon and Conga)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Natasha)
    0.0.1 Rosehair Tarantula (Charlotte)
    0.0.1 P.Metallica
    0.0.1 A.Avicularia
    0.0.2 P.Irminia
    0.0.1 L.Parahybona
    0.0.1 N.Coloratovillosus
    ?.?.? ASFs

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I-KandyReptiles For This Useful Post:

Riv (09-03-2012),satomi325 (09-04-2012)

Thanks
    Haha Good old nikki. Thanks guys. Will do!

-Riveran

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    HAHA! YOU GUYS!!! <3

Yes. I feed whole prey to my ferrets. I have 3 ferrets and 1 foster. When on kibble, they ate a mix of Zupreem Premium, 8-1 Ultimate, and Drs. Foster and Smith Ferret diet.
    I started off teaching my ferrets how to eat whole prey with live adult/hopper mice. Once they got the hang of everything, I started feeding them other types of prey. Now they eat mice, rats, chicks, ducklings, turkey, and baby rabbits.
    I do feed live prey for the most part. But they do take pre-killed and frozen as well. They didn't like p/k and f/t at first, but they're prey fiends now and will take it in any form. You just have to get them to become established feeders first.
    I pre-kill medium rats and larger just because they are dangerous as a live prey item. A large rat is as big as my small female ferret and will fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv View Post

1) How long do I leave the food out for them? I dont want them to run around and hide dead rats everywhere so Im makung them a playpen to eat and sleep in. I dont want the food to rot, but I dont want them stuck in a pen all day waiting for them to eat it either yaknow?
    I leave prey(dead) out for 2 days. 3 would be the max on larger prey, but most are usually gone by 2. A whole carcass doesn't rot as fast as chopped up meat. Plus when little mice are left out, they dry out so fast it turns into a jerky. lol
    The ferrets eat what they want and come back for more later. They usually clean up a carcass in a day or so depending on the prey size. Mice/weaned rats they'll finish off right away in one sitting. Small-Med rats may take a day. Rabbits/Turkey/Chicks/Ducklings may take 2 days or more. But like I said, I dump the carcass by day 3.

Some ferrets take whole prey better than others. I've taught about a dozen ferrets how to switch to prey. Two particular ones refuse to take any form of prey and will only eat kibble.
    I would start teaching your ferrets how to take prey first in a small enclosed space such as a large plastic container (40 gallon size roughly) or a bathtub.
    A play pen works, but the prey can get pretty messy sometimes and washing a tub/container down is just easier. Having an enclosed space won't allow the ferrets to hide and stash prey. Once they're done killing/eating, put the left overs into their food bowl. They'll finish the rest on their own time. Once they are solid prey eaters, you can probably just stick prey directly in their cage. For mice, I just hold down their tails while the ferret kills them. It's a one bite kill so the mouse isn't suffering. Mine are experienced, so they can kill quickly. Newbie ferrets may take a little while to kill their own prey. But like most things, it takes practice. They will get it eventually.

2) How should I present the rat? Do I just kill it, and give it to them? Am I supposed to drain it of blood and chop it into bits and present it like wet food? etc.
    I would start with live hopper/adult mice to introduce them to whole prey. The quick movements of the mice keep the ferrets interested and motivated. Once they're established feeders or at least eating actual body parts, you can transition to p/k, f/t, and other prey if you want.
    How many ferrets do you have? Do any of them show a strong prey drive?

Don't drain the blood. After they kill their food the first few times, I can almost guarantee that they will just leave it alone and walk away. That's because they don't know the prey is food.
    You can just chop up the carcass and put the pieces into their food dish. Or you can just slice the abdomen open and put the entire body into the food dish. They probably still won't eat it, but it's worth a shot anyway.

The ferrets will not know a p/k prey is food. They actually won't know live prey is food either. But after a few tries, they'll start to get it.
    Scientifically, ferrets after 6 months of age can only taste protein.
    So they'll start enjoying meat more as they become more exposed.
    Think of it like a child who has never tried new foods. They're going to be hesitant and refuse new stuff. They're more comfortable with familiar foods. Same thing with ferrets, the more exposed they are to new food, the more willing they'll start taking it each time. That's why it's important to introduce a verity of foods to baby ferrets to socialize them to not be picky eaters.

It took my 3 personals and 2 fosters around 3 or 4 times each to understand that prey was food. It took one of my friend's ferrets about 2 months. My other friend's ferrets took about a month or less. And it took my boyfriend's 5 ferrets less than 5 mice each to start eating them. We all did one mouse per ferret sessions at a time. And I just mentored a member in my ferret club in the 'art' of switching to whole prey. Her ferrets took about a week.
    Once they became more consistent prey eaters, you can start feeding what ever you want. But like I mentioned before, live motivates the ferrets the first couple of times.

3) How long will it take for the raw diet to start benefiting them? Ive got one ferret whose fat like you wouldnt beleive, and wont stop eating, another another ferret(a rescue who was SEVERELY underweight when I got him 2 months ago) who eats, but he just seems to be getting a potbelly instead of actually gaining weight.

Honestly, right away. They will have significantly less poop. Kibble is full of sugars, carbohydrates, and plant fiber. As a obligate carnivore, it's everything a ferret cannot digest. Kibble is the number one contribution to Insulinoma due to the sugar.
    Bad brands of kibble will give you massive amounts of poop because it's full of stuff the ferrets cannot absorb. High quality kibble will reduce some poop, but not as much as whole prey. When on whole prey, the ferret will have almost non-existant poop. It's literally just fur that comes out. That's because the ferret absorbs everything.

And it will be about a month or more before you see an increase in activity level and fur condition. Whole prey will make a ferret's coat sleek, shiny, and soft. They will be more active, thus have a better overall body condition.
    Males in general are pretty fat, but the higher activity does make them more lean and gain some muscle mass.

For your rescue, how old is he? Potbellies sometimes indicate Adrenal disease or an enlarged pancreas. The enlarged pancreas is harmless.
    I would also try to make your ferrets climb things to gain some chest muscles. I used to have pet stairs to lead up to the ferret cage. I recently removed it to force the ferrets to climb back in. My old Adrenal male with a pot belly used to have really bony ribs. Now he has muscle and you can't even tell he was that skinny before.

I recommend taking a look at the Holistic Ferret forum. There are a lot of tips on feeding prey; raw and cooked.

Props for wanting to feed prey!
    It will benefit your ferrets a lot.
    Last edited by satomi325; 09-04-2012 at 04:13 PM.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

Exotic Ectotherms (09-04-2012),Jabberwocky Dragons (09-04-2012),MrLang (10-04-2012),PorcelainxDoll (09-05-2012),Riv (09-04-2012),TheWoot (09-04-2012)

BPnet Senior Member I-KandyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,479 Posts
    My dads gf has two ferrets. I've mentioned feeding live prey to her before but they have a child in the house. Will the ferrets become aggressive if you feed whole prey? She's worried that they might start being bitey.

---------
    0.1 Dog (Truffles)
    0.1 Naked Cat (Mercedes)
    1.0 Hamster (Pumpkin)
    1.1 Bumblebees (Satyana & Weedle)
    0.3 Normals (Shayla, Rita and Althea)
    0.1 100% Het Pied Ringer (Avalon)
    1.0 Pied (Monsieur Piederoff)
    1.0 Lesser 100% Het Albino poss het OG (Tinersons)
    0.1 Spider Albino (Ivy)
    0.1 Mojave Cinnamon (Morticia)
    1.1 Normal BCIs (Damon and Conga)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Natasha)
    0.0.1 Rosehair Tarantula (Charlotte)
    0.0.1 P.Metallica
    0.0.1 A.Avicularia
    0.0.2 P.Irminia
    0.0.1 L.Parahybona
    0.0.1 N.Coloratovillosus
    ?.?.? ASFs

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbafett View Post
    My dads gf has two ferrets. I've mentioned feeding live prey to her before but they have a child in the house. Will the ferrets become aggressive if you feed whole prey? She's worried that they might start being bitey.
    No. They will not become more aggressive or bitey. The ferrets are smart and can distinguish food from humans. Mine see their live prey as a treat and get really excited. At the end of the day, my fuzzies still cuddle and give me kisses.

Ferrets, or any animal, should be supervised with any child anyway. Ferrets play rough, so your dad's gf needs to know the difference between aggressive biting and play biting. Ferrets who bite aggressively clamp down and do not let go. If they're already pretty calm or play nice with people, I wouldn't worry about an increase in aggression unless they have Adrenal disease, which does increase aggression.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by satomi325; 09-04-2012 at 08:11 PM.

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts

Re: Ferrets: Whole prey diet

I've never had a ferret become aggressive because they are raw fed, I do have one who nips but she always has, didn't change whether she was fed kibble or raw. Mine picked up eating mice off the one original girl who would, eventually 5-6 of the others would eat mice fine, once they had that down any whole prey was game although mine barely touch large rats. They love mice, quail, guinea pigs, rabbit, chicks. You don't want to feed just one prey item though, you want variety or it will be incomplete.

Thanks
    Thanks so much for he response! I only have the two ferreta at the moment. Both are male, My marshals ferret is about 8-9 monhs old if the petstore was correct about he age, and my rezcue is 3 and a half. He didnt have a potbelly when I got him, back then he didnt have even a little meat on him. The fat on his scruff was even too thin for me to scruff him properly. Hes still skinny as all get out, but its all going right to his belly. Let me see if ive got pictures on my phone.

ALSO! You should know that they dont have a cage. They sleep and eat in our bedroom and play in the rest of our house when we are home. They have food and water on the floor and and a litter box in the closet. We made them a kind of hammock bed, but they usually juat sleep with us in our bed. Hopefully that been technique will keep it mess fres for us haha.

-Riveran

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    If i had a ferret id want it to play rough. Theyre fun to mess with, i think an aggressive one would be funny lol!

Their body shape and sneaky antics kinda creep me out though. I dont think id ever be able to own one, let alone sleep with one haha.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast