Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 480

0 members and 480 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus

Thread: Need Advice

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ok...I'm starting to put together a cage for a beardie. I plan on using a 20gal long for now and will move him up to something bigger later in the year. I know what to expect to spend on the tank...and how to look for bargains.

The lights though...my goodness...those are expensive! If I understand right...I need a flourescent-type of fixture for a long UVB bulb that sits on top of the screen. In addition to that, I need a heat lamp to provide a basking spot. The long light-fixture at Petco was like $35 and the UVB bulb was $40! I went to Wal Mart and saw a flourescent fixture for the kitchen that was $6. Would a UVB bulb fit into a standard fixture like that? Could I use something like that on top of the cage? It's not under a little "tent" like the pet-store model, so maybe not enough light would be directed into the cage? Also...can you find the bulbs cheaper any place else?

ALSO...(sorry for being so full of questions!)...I know they require a consistent light cycle, so all lights have to be turned off at night. My basement gets down into the low 60's at night. That seems a bit too chilly, even if they do like a night-time drop in temps. Should I go with a ceramic bulb or a red bulb to create the basking heat and leave it on at night? Or should I get a heating pad to place under the tank to maintain some warmth after dark?

Mostly...I'm looking for whatever advice you can offer on the most economical way to put together a fun and comfortable home for the little guy/gal.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
    -- Judy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    i need one of these for my turtle...im interested in what replies you get.
    perhaps with the $6 fixture from wall mart you could you aluminum foil to direct the light down. wouldnt look as nice but itd work. also...you wouldnt need go along the whole cage...just on the basking side. unless you wanted to spend more money and put it over the lenght of whole cage. as for light bulbs...i dont think they come cheap. i hope im wrong though!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The care sheets I've read suggest that the UVB extend over the warm AND cool side of the tank...otherwise I'd just look for a more standared bulb with the little dome thingy like I have for my snake. And yeah...I'm hoping those long bulbs can be found cheaper...maybe at a hardware store or a nursery or something? Just hoping someone has some experience with this.
    -- Judy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    oh, my bad. ive never look in much detail. but it hought i had read it was only necessary on the hot side. im not defending myself here, im sure your write. thanks.

Thanks
    The UVB bulbs are going to be expensive, wherever you get them. You can get them for less at Reptile Depot or LLL Reptile. I'd bet that the fixture part is standard, though, and you can certainly get one first and then take the bulb or a drawing of it to Wally World or Home Depot to find a fixture that will fit. Pet stores really do overcharge on these things.

As for your constant cycle, there are actually light hoods made for reptiles that have a built-in timer and will handle cycling for you. They're not going to be cheap, though.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Oh I figured I'd get a timer from Home Depot or something for the cycle...what I was wondering about is how I should heat the cage at night.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Deepest sympathy and heartfelt prayers

A note on those $6 undercounter flourescent fixtures from WalMart:

I had to buy FIVE of them (and make multiple trips) to get a working pair - was a lot of driving and a lot of returns - they use a really cheap'n'cheesy "balast" (it's not really) for the light that seems very prone to blowing the first time the light is plugged in. See if you cant plug em in before you leave the store so you don't have to do all the driving I did - I'll never buy those types again. Finally after gettgin 2 that worked I popped in the bulbs i needed and was in business.

Pet stores def overcharge - especially for lamp hoods (ceramics aside).

We use the red bulbs for night heat (in addition to heating pad) - tried some cheap red bulbs but they are coated and the coating thins with use until it falls in a spectrum visible to your crittes which leaves you with constant light and thus stress. Zoo-Med bulbs seem prone to early burnout - we're gonan have to try a different brand. But we're ordering these online for ~$4 instead of $11 at the pet store.

Figure this might save you headaches I already suffered.

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Smulkin! Good things to know. Do you think I might find more reliable (yet still relatively inexpensive) florescent fixtures at Home Depot?
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Smulkin, thanks for that tip! I am sure it will come in handy for several of us. Also, I saw a discussion elsewhere (fauna maybe?) that some of the bulbs labeled as being "full spectrum" or "UV" are misleading and do not provide what they say they will. I'd definitely do what research I could on brands before making the purchase. And I read the same thing about the Zoo-Med bulbs elsewhere, too, so that doesn't seem to be an isolated incident.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!