Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,431

1 members and 2,430 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Shipping Exception! What to do?

Yesterday I shipped off 3 snakes off to Florida. I had been in contact with the buyer several times and I sent him all the tracking information and made sure he was fully updated on everything. I get up this morning and keep tracking the package to make sure it is delivered correctly and there is a shipping exception! It was because no one was home or they didn't answer the door. I require all packages to be signed for. Don't want them being left on door steps. I have tried calling the buyer and have emailed him to several different email addresses. I feel there is nothing more I can do but wait to hear back from him. He said that his wife is not working and would be there for delivery. I am just afraid that it is going to get super hot out there and cause problems for the snakes but there is nothing I can do. If there ends up being a problem what do I do? I don't feel like I should have to refund the money because they weren't there to accept the package. We are talking about $1200 in snakes here as well. On my website I have my TOS that say live guarantee is void if not accepted on first delivery. Has anyone had any similar issues? Just freaking out over here and I have no control.
    Brennan Roney
    www.allballedup.com

Thanks
    Ouch! First, I would have avoided shipping to Florida this week because of the hurricane. That alone can cause delays and re-routes. As far as this delivery, I'd wait and keep trying to contact the buyer. If the snakes are all OK, then no problem. If they are DOA, then you need to decide if you stick to your TOS or refund the money or offer a partial refund. It is really up to you. If your TOS says that they must be there for first attempt and they are not, then you have satisfied your TOS. However, good customer service is not always sticking to the TOS. I would talk with the buyer and see what is up on their end before making any decisions.

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Don For This Useful Post:

Simple Man (08-28-2012)

Thanks

Re: Shipping Exception! What to do?

So I finally got a hold of the buyer and I guess he had made arrangements for someone to be at his house to accept the package but then something happened and they couldn't be there. Now he is trying to go figure out how to get a hold of the package as soon as possible so we are all hoping that all the snakes are alright and in good health. If they are DOA I will work with the buyer the best I can and definitely am trying to give the best customer service possible. That is always my goal. I will keep this updated as soon as I know what has happened to the package. Praying for the best.
    Brennan Roney
    www.allballedup.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 1,016 Posts
    I had someone wanting to ship to Florida this week and I politely declined. Hurricane!

I really hope the animals arrive safely for you.

Regards,

B

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 920 Posts
    Good customer service isn't breaking your bank to make sales, though. Consistency is good customer service, and sticking to your TOS is consistency.

I personally take off school and work when I receive an animal so that I'm there the ENTIRE day. That may not be possible for some people, so you make arrangements. I understand life happens, positive or negative, but when you're dealing in four figures worth of snakes you obviously can make better arrangements.

Browsing on Tapatalk from my iPhone

Thanks

This was in Jacksonville which is not very near where the hurricane was. They tried to deliver on time by the 10:30 deadline without any issues but there just wasn't someone home. No fault to the hurricane.
    Brennan Roney
    www.allballedup.com

Thanks
    It is the responsibility of the customer to be available to pick up the package as arranged with the seller.

It is not the seller's fault and he should not be liable for any loss

Thanks

I believe good customer service is great communication. If you made the arrangements and kept the customer informed and he had tracking #s and he knew your TOS then it is his responsibility to make sure he is home or at least arrange for an alternative PRIOR to the items being shipped. If he failed to do that then I don't see how the seller HAS to do anything. I understand what you mean by maybe partial refund but the seller did 100% what he was supposed to do and the buyer failed, the seller can NOT be held liable at all. He can't give up the snakes AND the money, that would not be very good business. That just means he gives away money because someone else was not very responsible.

Now if the buyer was not fully aware before shipping or had questions that were not answered before shipping and was not able to make arrangements PRIOR to shipping, then I would agree that he would need a full refund.

We can't always hold people's hands, people need to stop ducking responsibility. You are an adult, if you messed up, admit it and learn from it, and move on, but the seller, in this case, should not feel like he has to give any money back when he did anything wrong.

Just my 2 cents. Keep us updated, I really hope the animals are well in the end.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    You may consider requesting a "hold at facility" or not requiring a signature for future deliveries so a live animal doesn't get stuck in a hot truck all day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by All Balled Up View Post
    This was in Jacksonville which is not very near where the hurricane was. They tried to deliver on time by the 10:30 deadline without any issues but there just wasn't someone home. No fault to the hurricane.
    I know with at least one of my fedex people they don't try very hard to alert me when they're here. I've caught them walking away from my house with a package for me while I'm sitting inside, 10 feet from the door.. I KNOW they didn't knock, must have tried to contact me through telepathy - I'm not so good at picking up mind messages though!
    Last edited by John1982; 08-28-2012 at 02:20 PM.

BPnet Senior Member Royal Hijinx's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,155 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    You may consider requesting a "hold at facility" or not requiring a signature for future deliveries so a live animal doesn't get stuck in a hot truck all day.

- - - Updated - - -

I know with at least one of my fedex people they don't try very hard to alert me when they're here. I've caught them walking away from my house with a package for me while I'm sitting inside, 10 feet from the door.. I KNOW they didn't knock - must have tried to contact me through telepathy, I'm not so good at mind picking up mind messages though!
    I agree with the hold at facility, but I disagree with leaving it on the porch. Better in a semi air conditioned/shaded truck than in the sun on the porch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast