Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,879

0 members and 1,879 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Is it better to kill the mouse right before you feed it to your snake? I get my mice from this place called "Prehistoric Pets" and they would kill them for me at the store so that I wouldn't have to do it. But Monty still hasn't eaten, so I was wondering if it would be better to have it killed right before I offer it, so that it's fresh.

Well, a few days ago when I wanted to feed Monty, Prehistoric Pets was closed, so I got a mouse from Petco, and planned on killing it when I got home and offereing it to Monty fresh. (I doubted Petco would kill it for me, and I had been wanting to try a more fresh killed mouse anyway.)

Well, I did not enjoy this experience. By the time I got home, the mouse had eaten it's way out of the box and almost escaped in my car. Luckily I saw it's head sticking out and I had a plastic bag to put the box in. Then the mouse was peeing and pooping and it smelled really bad. Then, I had problems killing it. I would rather not elaborate on that. And Monty still didn't eat it, so I don't know if it made any difference.

I eventually want to feed f/t, but since he hasn't eaten for me yet and he ate a fresh killed at the pet store, I want to try fresh killed for a while. But is it okay to have it killed at the pet store and wait until after I get home to feed him? I'd rather not relive that experience.

Sorry for the long post.
    1.0 Ball Python, Norbert
    0.1 Corn Snake, Nagini
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa, Peeves

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    all you gotta do is smack em one good time. freshly killed is probably the easiest way to feed a bp.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Thanks
    I don't know if I'm just a girly wus or what, but I had to smack it a good few times (it wouldn't die), feeling horrible about torturing the poor thing, before I finally realized I should put it in a bag and smack it hard. That put it out of it's misery. Darn it, I said I didn't want to elaborate. Oh well. If I do it again, I'll put it in a bag or pillow case first thing and give it a good smack. But I'd rather have the guy at the pet shop kill it for me.
    1.0 Ball Python, Norbert
    0.1 Corn Snake, Nagini

Thanks

New Borneo Blood Pics!

That's exactly what I'm afraid will happen to me.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Me too. You're braver than I am to even try it, Gen!

How often are you trying to feed Monty? I could be mistaken, but it sounds like you might be trying too hard and he's still feeling a bit stressed. If you can stand it, try giving him a good two weeks or so before feeding him again. And when you bring home the store-killed mousie, warm it up under a lamp before offering it.

When you do offer it, maybe you can try this method, if you haven't already. Put the mouse and the snake in a small paper bag, fold the top closed and paper-clip it, then put it back in his cage. Then leave him alone overnight. The dark, close confines of the bag often induce a reluctant eater to finally feed...and if the bag is in his cage, you know he'll be warm enough, and can't escape if he should find his way out of the bag.

Whatever you try...I wish you luck!
    -- Judy

Thanks

this asked my question

LOL! Maybe I am trying to hard. I definitely think I'm probably more stressed about it than my snake is. But I'm not trying to feed him everyday or anything. He ate at the pet store the day before I brought him home, and I've tried feeding once a week since then. Usually on Friday or Saturday night. This weekend will be a month since he last ate; I've tried feeding him 3 times so far.

I think I'll definitely go store killed from now on and warm it up like you said. That's a good idea. So you think I should wait 2 weeks instead of trying again this weekend? I can stand it, unless you think a month is too long and I should try feeding him again. Maybe next time I'll try the bag thing. I was worried that taking him from the tank would stress him out, but it's worth a try. Also I use bark for substrate, so the bag will eliminate the possibility of him swallowing any.

You guys are the best. Thank you for putting up with all of my questions and being so helpful! I really appreciate it.
    1.0 Ball Python, Norbert
    0.1 Corn Snake, Nagini

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    are you sure your temps and humidity are correct? sufficient amount of hides?

most baby bp's that won't eat, won't eat because they aren't comfortable.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know it seems like a long time...but unless he actually starts looking sickly, I'm sure he's fine. If you want to reassure yourself, you could invest in a postal scale and check periodically to see if he's losing weight.

The only snake I have right now is a gopher snake...which is a slender snake to begin with. That little guy went on a 3 month fast! And he's just fine.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Will, yeah, gen has worked at getting her husbandry set up well. That could have affected his drive to eat, though, because it's only been a few days since she's gotten it worked out.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    Wizill, since the last time I tried to feed him, I got a digital thermometer/hygrometer to more accurately check the temps and humidity and I found out my temps were too hot on the hot side, too cold on the cool side, and my humidity was too low. So that could definitely be why he didn't eat. I got rid of the bulb I was using to heat, got a human heating pad, covered my screen top, and now my temps and humidity look good. Around 90 on the hot side, 80 on the cool side and humidity around 55%. I started out with one hide, but I got him another hide, one for the hot side, and one for the cool side, and they're both nice and secure for him. He spends most of his time in the cooler hide, I RARELY see him out of there. Anyway, maybe he'll eat next time! Keep your fingers crossed for me.
    1.0 Ball Python, Norbert
    0.1 Corn Snake, Nagini

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast