Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,589

5 members and 2,584 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Hog Island Boa Growth Rate?

I have not been able to find any reliable info on how fast a hog island boa would grow. I am planning on purchasing a baby for christmas, and I was wondering how fast it would grow up, in terms of length(that is what my mom worries about). Also, how long do you think I could keep a hog in a CB70 tub? Thanks, Benek

Thanks
    As with all boa growth rates the more you feed, the faster they grow. So it really depends on meal frequency and meal size. Most people like to say however that slow and steady with boas is the best way.

1 appropriate sized meal every week for the first year usually, then meal frequency tapers off to 10 to 14 days depending on the end size you wish to obtain.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    1.2 Normal Ball Pythons
    1.1 Pastel Ball Pythons
    0.1 Mojave Ball Python
    1.0 Cinnamon Spinner Ball Python
    0.1 Firefly
    0.1 Cinnabee
    0.1 het Russo
    0.1 Champagne het Russo
    0.1 Sugar

2.2 Leopard Geckos
    1.0 Bearded Dragon

3. The Following User Says Thank You to notmyfault For This Useful Post:

brobertson (08-25-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts
    Growth depends on the snake too, I fed my jungle male the same as my other boas and he just spurted in size so much more than my others. I got an albino female last year who is now only slightly larger than my Hog female who I got this year. Just depends on the snake, but usually at/around their second birthday is when I need to move into vivs from their tubs.
    I don't know the size of that tub but I'd recommend at least a 4' viv, unless you get a Hog that gets exceptionally large then a 6'.
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Daybreaker For This Useful Post:

brobertson (08-25-2012)

Thanks
    If it's a pure Hog Island, and you don't overfeed it, then a male could live it's whole life in CB70 and a female would be fine in it until she was fully grown. A female might max out around 5ft and she could move into a 3' x 2' cage, or maybe a 4' x 2' cage max.

Where are you planning to purchase one from? I have corns and ball pythons, and just purchased my first Hog Island from Vin Russo and she is by far the most personable snake I have. She's a 2012 and I currently have her in a 14qt tub and it's plenty roomy for her.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I've held a few 2 to 3 year old Hogs and they were about the size of a 1-2 year old ball python and would have had plenty of room in a 28qt at that size. I've heard it takes them about 4 years or so to reach sexual maturity and max out.
    1.0 Spider Ball
    0.1 Lesser Ball
    0.1 Pastel Ball
    0.1 Fire Ball
    0.1 Hog Island Boa
    1.0 Ghost Corn
    1.0 Amel Het Motley Corn
    0.1 Sunglow Motley Corn

7. The Following User Says Thank You to johnmauser For This Useful Post:

brobertson (08-25-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmauser View Post
    If it's a pure Hog Island, and you don't overfeed it, then a male could live it's whole life in CB70 and a female would be fine in it until she was fully grown. A female might max out around 5ft and she could move into a 3' x 2' cage, or maybe a 4' x 2' cage max.

Where are you planning to purchase one from? I have corns and ball pythons, and just purchased my first Hog Island from Vin Russo and she is by far the most personable snake I have. She's a 2012 and I currently have her in a 14qt tub and it's plenty roomy for her.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I've held a few 2 to 3 year old Hogs and they were about the size of a 1-2 year old ball python and would have had plenty of room in a 28qt at that size. I've heard it takes them about 4 years or so to reach sexual maturity and max out.
    I am planning on buying from either vin Russo or rio bravo reptiles. That is good to hear that your boa has a great personality. I was hoping for something with a bit more personality than my "pet hides", even if I do love my BPs they can be quite boring at times.

Thanks
    Be careful when buying your boa...I had mine for about 5 hours before I started thinking about getting a male hog or some other type of dwarf locality boa. They may not have the colors and patterns that ball pythons do, but there's just something awesome and addicting about them.

RIO and Vin are great choices...I also ran into the guys that own Legacy Reptiles at Daytona. They have a lot of really nice dwarf locality boas including pure hogs. Their website is www.LegacyReptiles.com

Any of those 3 breeders would be a great choice.
    1.0 Spider Ball
    0.1 Lesser Ball
    0.1 Pastel Ball
    0.1 Fire Ball
    0.1 Hog Island Boa
    1.0 Ghost Corn
    1.0 Amel Het Motley Corn
    0.1 Sunglow Motley Corn