Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,901

0 members and 2,901 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Just looking to get a comparison.

I pay $1.68 for an adult mouse from the pet shop; they specialize in exotic reptiles and have a great supplier for feeders. All the the mice always are alert are very healthy.

I'm wondering what you all pay. I know going f/t is MUCH cheaper, but my bp has been taking live (stunned) mice VERY enthusiastically and I don't want to lose out on a good thing going.

Feeding stunned mice can be very dangerous. Many snakes will not constrict their prey and just swallow it without making sure its dead yet. If the prey itme decides to wake up during the feeding, you can imagine the disaster that would follow. If your snake will eat "stunned" prey, chances are it will eat dead prey as well.

VP of Cool
    Thanks
    Just exactly how do you stun prey? I mean other than beat it on top of the head with a blunt object that is. Stupic question, I know.
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be ~ Lao Tzu

Actually, the best way to kill a feeder rodent is to place the mouse/rat into a sock or pillow case and bash the rodent against a wall or another hard surface. Brutal but quick and easy.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBeard
    Feeding stunned mice can be very dangerous. Many snakes will not constrict their prey and just swallow it without making sure its dead yet. If the prey itme decides to wake up during the feeding, you can imagine the disaster that would follow. If your snake will eat "stunned" prey, chances are it will eat dead prey as well.
    Yeah let me elaborate on that, you've misunderstood. I basically just take the mouse by the tail and whip them on the end of a desk or countertop. It breaks their neck instantly, very quick. The mouse is left kind of twitching; at the point, Amber strikes it and constricts it, so it is definitly totally dead before being swallowed.

I saw that thread about the bp that was attacked by a rodent, that picture broke my heart. I stun the mice every time now.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    David...does that ever get messy? I'd be really afraid of either not doing it hard enough and therefore be terribly cruel to the critter...or doing it too hard and have splattered mouse/rat brains to deal with. :?
    -- Judy

Thanks
    You basically just have to go for it, being "merciful" and not using as much muscle is actually more cruel. Just do it in one quick snap and the mouse won't even know what hit it.
    -Brad

VP of Cool
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JLC
    David...does that ever get messy? I'd be really afraid of either not doing it hard enough and therefore be terribly cruel to the critter...or doing it too hard and have splattered mouse/rat brains to deal with. :?
    Yah I'd like to know to please. I would hate to hurt any living animal but It wouldnt be a problem if I know that a mouse would hurt my snake. I've been feeding live so far strictly supervised of course, But once I get to larger food items like a Rat I would defenitely like to, gulp, stun the hec out of it before offering it to my baby.
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be ~ Lao Tzu

Thanks
    Someone ought to be able to work out a device for doing this, humanely and quickly killing prey items without a mess. Maybe a mouse-a-pult in a closed box or something.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    Alright well this thread is hijacked, lol. How much do you all pay for live feeders?
    -Brad

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast