Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,074

1 members and 3,073 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Smulkin, our three boys, and I went to the Pittsburgh reptile show today. While it's not a huge expo by any means, I was pleasantly surprised by the numbers and varieties of herps available. We went there planning to purchase something. We even bought an extra housing setup "just in case." But we ended up coming home with four, yes 4, new snakes - a brown water python, a pueblan milksnake, a durango mountain kingsnake, and a striped California kingsnake - all beautiful captive bred specimens sold to us by friendly and knowledgeable breeders. If any of you have not made it to a herp show, I highly recommend it - but be prepared to spend more money than you had planned. Needless to say, we had to make a stop on the way home for extra housing and supplies. We'll post some pics as soon as we recover. Whew!

Thanks
    Wow, Smynx. When you go shopping, you don't fool around! Looking forward to your pics. Are you already familiar with husbandry for all of these?

PS -- I took my 13 year old today to the reptile shop of the biggest hots keeper in the state and we saw an Afrock. He was just a little guy, 3' or so, and Adrian was quite impressed when I told her he'd get big enough to eat antelope.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    lol, you just decided to buy 4 new snakes. at the drop of a hat, just like that??? crazy!! cool, but crazy!
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marla
    Wow, Smynx. When you go shopping, you don't fool around!
    Marla - You should see me at a COACH outlet!

Quote Originally Posted by Marla
    Are you already familiar with husbandry for all of these?
    Smulkin had a kingsnake and rat snakes when he was younger, so he's more familiar than I am. But we asked a lot of questions which the breeders were more than happy to answer. The breeders gave us their business cards and told us to call with any questions. We bought care books, and we have the internet and all of you as resources. So I think we'll be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizill
    you just decided to buy 4 new snakes. at the drop of a hat, just like that??? crazy!! cool, but crazy!
    Very crazy indeed. We really need to stop at some point, but I just couldn't say no to my kids (or my husband) :wink: and the water python was just so beautiful in all his irridescence, I couldn't resist.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Smynx
    Marla - You should see me at a COACH outlet!
    Ha! I'll bet! If you can shop like that for herps, there's no telling what you'll do if you've a mind to.

Quote Originally Posted by Smynx
    Smulkin had a kingsnake and rat snakes when he was younger, so he's more familiar than I am. But we asked a lot of questions which the breeders were more than happy to answer. The breeders gave us their business cards and told us to call with any questions. We bought care books, and we have the internet and all of you as resources. So I think we'll be okay.
    I wasn't really questioning whether you would be able to provide proper husbandry for them -- I fully expect that you will. It was more a question of knowing exactly what supplies to stop and get on the way home, what temps to aim for when setting up enclosures, how many herp caresheets you carry in your head at one time, that sort of thing. But I guess between Smulkin and the breeders you probably already had that covered, and can refer to your other resources as needed.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans

I'd loooove to see pics of the Water Python. Liasis fuscus are awesome snakes!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wwoooowwww.... Can I go shopping with you next time??? Oh wait....I WILL go shopping with you next time! (Can't wait 'til the May show!!!) Can't wait to see the pictures! I'm gonna have to go look up "Brown Water Python" in the meantime...never heard of one of those.

You guys rock!
    -- Judy

Banned
    Thanks
    I with David, get water python pics! Liasis are my favs, lol.

Thanks

Re: new rescue case, big female...

Oh yeah I lovbe the BWP's head and smile - awesome looking little snake.

The kings etc will be great first husbandry pets for the boys - there's no question that kind of responsibility can only be good for them. If I'd had the money I would have come walking out with a Black Blood and a Coastal Carpet as well. I didn't expect the exhibitors to have had so much stock - or such a wide variety of it. Lot of wild caught balls cramped in a 10 gal for $18 each and supplies priiced higher than expensive pet shops were the only down side.

No one gets out of one of those empty handed, hehe. I'm actually surprised we didn't come out with a snake in each person's hand for a total of 5.

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Thanks
    Speaking of the wc balls cramped in a tank, I think that if we get that other section set up in the Business area of the forum for vendor/breeder references, that it would be nice if people would also post information about vendors they saw/met at shows who stood out for being good or bad and why. I know if one of you were at a show and talked with Jimmy Bob of Jimmy Bob Herps and saw that his animals looked good and clean and not cramped and he spoke knowledgeably with you about them, that I'd feel better about buying from him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast