Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,957

0 members and 2,957 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanks to Marla and whoever else suggested the digital indoor/outdoor thermometer/hygrometer from walmart.
    I originally had the crappy stick-on thermometers they sold me at the pet shop, and some kind of stick-on dial for humidity. Monty still hasn't eaten since I brought him home 3 weeks ago, so I decided to look further into the temps and humidity.
    I paid the 15 bucks for the digital thermometer/hygrometer combo, and if they are in fact more accurate than the other kinds, then my temps were not right, and my humidity was much lower than I had thought before, about 42%.
    I switched to a human heating pad, instead of a bulb, and it seems to be working well for temps, and it also raised the humidity, (I misted too.) According to my new thermometer, my hot side is 92, my cool side is 83, and my humidity is 55%. Yay!
    Anyway, thanks to everyone for all your advice while I'm learning to take care of my new pet. I wish I would have spent a couple weeks on here before bringing Monty home. I would have saved myself some money, and saved me AND Monty lots of stress. Oh well, I'm a first time snake owner, you live and learn!!

Thanks

Need some input here

gen, that's great! I'm glad you switched to the more accurate kind and have been able to tweak the temps and humidity. One small suggestion, if I may: see if you can either switch the heat pad down a half notch (some will, some won't) or else scoot it a couple of inches to the side. The first will bring down the temps on both sides and you might be able to get it at 80/90, but if you can't, the second will bring down the temp on the cool side a degree or two.

It's true you could have saved yourself some money and stress if you'd started out here instead of at the pet store, but think about the money and stress you're saving in the long run by getting on here early and getting your husbandry set up right. Better Monty have the extra stress for just the first couple of weeks instead of a year or more, and you're on the right path now.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion, Marla. I'll see what I can do with the heating pad.

Thanks
    You're welcome. Let me know how it works out.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans

Thanks

Another question regarding prey size.

I brought my heating pad down half a notch. Now it's between high and medium instead of just on high. I'll see if that gets it to 90/80, and I'll let you know.

Another problem though, my cool side actually got pretty cold overnight and in the early morning. It was down to about 74. Should I get another small heating pad on that side and put it on the lowest setting just for night time?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks
    Do you have your top covered? If so, with what? What are your ambient (room) temps, daytime and nighttime? 74 is definitely a little lower than optimal, but there may be more than one good approach to fixing it. It may be that a UV or blacklight bulb or ceramic heat emitter for night only is your best bet, or a heat pad on low as you suggested.

Thanks
    My room temperature really varies during the day depending on if I'm home using the air conditioner or heater. I'd say it averages around 74 during the day. At night, more like 68-70.

I have a screen top that is covered with contact paper, except for a hole where my heat lamp used to be.

I do have a 60 watt ceramic heat emmiter that I could try using, but would that raise the temps too much in conjunction with the heating pad?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    most likely. i house 3 bp's in 3 seperate enclosures with nothing but heating pads for heat sources, and have had no problems at all thus far.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Thanks
    Nothing wrong with a slight dip in nighttime temps, it just emulates nature.
    Randy

"I think it might be helpful for everyone to remember that the purpose of a forum like this is to EXCHANGE IDEAS, not dictate what is right or wrong or good or bad. If you disagree with what someone else is suggesting, you can say so without being argumentative or completely slamming the guy (or girl)." - Smynx

Thanks
    Gen, if it's 68-70 at night, you might try just draping a towel or something similar over the tank to insultate it slightly and retain a little more of the heat. Alternatively, you could just bump the heat on the heating pad back up that half notch around the time it gets dark outside. 74 is a little cool, but it's nothing to stress about for a night temp on the cool side. a little experimentation and you should be able to get it back up 3 or 4 degrees.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast