Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,118

3 members and 3,115 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks
    ok well tonight was the first night that i could actuly sit in front of the tank that fluffys in and not bother him at all when he moving around and climbing things. is he finaly getting settled in????

Thanks
    Hard to say without watching him. Just make sure you give him a week or so with no handling unless necessary, and then gradually handle him so he has time to get used to you.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    Is one week enough... my guy was up at like three am (I had to teach a class today as I am a T.A. and I had a huge presentation so I was very stressed and sleeping poorly) I awoke and watched him inspect every square milimeter of the tank lid - I also watched him over extend himself and plop down onto the bedding it was hilarious and adorable - helped me relax and fall asleep ... but he doesn't mind me watching him.. he does seem a bit riled up though - is one week generally long enough? Or is eight or nine days better? Also what time do they generally become active or is that individual to each BP?
    1.0 Ball Python [Icculus]
    >>>>Looking for a vet?<<<<
    http://www.herpvetconnection.com/
    http://www.arav.org

Thanks
    Generally they are active in the middle of the night, as you saw -- mine typically not before 1 AM or so, though sometimes earlier. As far as time to acclimate, you will hear all kinds of answers, from handle them right away to never handle them except to clean cage, etc., but I think if you want to interact with them and get them used to you, you need to strike a balance between letting them get comfortable in their new environment and stressing them all over again if you suddenly start handling them out of the blue weeks after they arrive. Different snakes will have different personalities and some will never seem to have a problem with handling while others will never seem to get used to it.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Jonah...you can use the guidelines to guide you....but as for narrowing it down to very specific numbers (such as: Is 9 days better than 7?), you'll just have to figure out what's best for your particular snake. If he seems extra skittish, then offer him a longer acclimation time, with a slower, more gradual pattern of handling sessions. But only you can judge that because none of us can see your snake.
    -- Judy

VP of Cool
    Thanks
    I handle mine all the time now and he doesnt want to go back into his enclosure
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be ~ Lao Tzu

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    My little man has such a funny personality! As many of you know, I couldn't touch him without havin him hiss up a storm. Even now, & I have only been handling him for a couple days now, when I pick him up, he hisses but as soon as I get him outta the tank, he stops & plays around with daddy! Then when it is time to put him back in, he doesn't wanna go in. He wants to explore the whole area outside the tank! The funny thing is, when i put him back in, if I touch him RIGHT AFTER holding him for 20 minutes, he will hiss at me again. Such a little goofball my Jack! And now I am faced with what to do after Tuesday. He has another car ride, which is gunna stress him out like crazy. Plus, he has to be probed & inspected by the vet. He is gunna have an ulcer by the time i get him home! So, I have to figure out whether handling him is a good idea for a couple of days & if so, how much. It will be a feeling out process for me & Jack. I want to try to feed him soon so I don't want his stress level to be very high!

Thanks
    I'd leave him alone for now, get him to the vet, and try to feed later. You definitely don't want him to regurgitate.