Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,806

0 members and 2,806 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks
    What do you use for cleaning your snake's enclosure? I don't want to use anything that will harm my snake.

And how often do you clean out the enclosure? (Tank, substrate, water dish, etc.)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I spot clean daily, but as far as real cleaning...I wait till my BP defecates (he does so a few days after eating) for a real cleaning.

1. Clean - with hot soapy water.
    2. Rinse

3. Disinfect - the substrate (lizard liner-it's a green felt like carpet), water bowl and any deco that got feces/urates on it. I disinfect by soaking in Nolvasan/Virosan for at least 15 minutes. I prefer this over using a bleach solution as the Nolvasan/Virosan is completely safe for reptiles. It's even used to flush wounds and as a mouthwas to treat mouthwash.

4. Rinse
    5. Dry

I use a glass cleaner I create to clean the glass. This link might be of interest to you: http://www.anapsid.org/cleaning.html

You can get Nolvasan/Virosan from here: http://proexotics.com/supplies.html
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    what do you use to spot clean? A kitty litter scoop of some sort?
    1.0 Ball Python [Icculus]
    >>>>Looking for a vet?<<<<
    http://www.herpvetconnection.com/
    http://www.arav.org

I'm a big fan of virosan as well. I buy it by the gallon from a Livestock company-I can't remember which one. I change the water daily and change the substrate (newspaper/paper towels) when they defecate or urate.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    i spot clean with toilet paper... pick up the poo and drop it in the toilet.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    i just change the newspaper, and maybe 3 or 4 times a month i wash the cages just as i would dishes, with the addition of a little bleach.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I just use paper towels to spot clean - I sometimes put a little Nolvasan/Virosan on a clean paper towel and scrub the spot where the urates/feces were too. I'm a bit of a clean/neat freak and try to keep all my snake stuff away from other snakes and the kitchen - so when I'm doing anything in one snakes tank I put all the dirty paper towels, urates, feces etc for that snake in a ziplock bag, seal it up and toss in a special sealed trash can that is kept in the snakes room. Then when it's time to take the trash out I tie up the snakes trash bag and add to the main trash bag for the house. A bit obsessive I guess, but I like to think of it as being 'overly cautious' - at least that sounds better.
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Banned
    Thanks
    I use atro, wash it every month, I spot clean tho. And I used newpaper under it to soak up anything. The news paper is changed frequently.