Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 770

4 members and 766 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    i cant seem to raise it can anyone help me???? its @ 40. . . . :?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

humidity problems

Need some more info:
    What kind of enclosure? How big is it? What kind of lighting/heating are you using? What have you done so far to try and get it up?

Some general things to try: If you have a screened lid...cover most of the screen with saran wrap or contact paper. If you use overhead lights for your primary heating source, ditch 'em and switch to an under-tank heater. Keep a large water bowl over your heat source.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    or if you can't ditch the lights right away I've heard that if you put the water dish halfway under the light or so it increases the humidity, makes sense but probably only slightly increase. Yeah put some sort of plastic over part of the lid. What kind of substrate? The Product rating section tells what substrates best hold humidity. Basically switch to undertank if possible, a larger water dish might help a little, check your substrate, and cover part of your lid (don't suffocate your snake!)
    1.0 Ball Python [Icculus]
    >>>>Looking for a vet?<<<<
    http://www.herpvetconnection.com/
    http://www.arav.org

Thanks

Sudanese Plated Lizard (Smulkin...help!)

oh and people heating pad is the way to go - just give a few mm of airspace so you don't create a fire hazzard.. for more info on this too see product reviews
    1.0 Ball Python [Icculus]
    >>>>Looking for a vet?<<<<
    http://www.herpvetconnection.com/
    http://www.arav.org

Thanks
    All-Glass 20L tank w/ screen top over head and under tank heating 75watt blub for over head. ive tried to misting it few times a day but it only works a hour or soo. . . . .
    Need to fill some empty spaces!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ok....try some of the things we've suggested. Get rid of the lamp if you can, but I understand that in some circumstances (like my own) a UTH just isn't enough to heat the whole tank without burning your snake. If you have a small water dish, get a bigger one, and set it on the warm side of the tank so it'll evaporate. Most important, cover that screen. Leave just enough space for ventilation (and the lamp if it stays).

If you can get the humidity up to 50-60%, that'll be fine for every day living. When the snake gets ready to shed, add a humid hide.

Also, check out this thread:

http://ball-pythons.net/index.php?na...iewtopic&t=945
    -- Judy

Thanks
    I agree with JLC.

I currently have a 20 gallon long with a sliding screen top. I have a lamp (with a 50 watt Red bulb in it) and an UTH. I have the UTH on 24/7 with a waterdish on top of that to help generate some humidity. I only turn my lamp on right after he eats to give him a little more heat. I also mist at least 2 a day, and my humidity runs around 50 - 55% with out the lamp on. But with the lamp on it goes down, but I mist more often when the lamp is running.
    Da Wolf

"The strength of the pack is in the wolf. The strength of the wolf is in the pack." Rudyard Kipling 1894

1.0 Ball Python (Zeus)
    1.0 Jungle Python (Apollo)

Thanks
    Yup, you need some duct tape! Tape that screen up, leaving a hole just a little bigger than the lamp and you should see a little increase. Also, do you have any fake plants in your tank? Man, I dressed mine up last week with some fake vines, and no kidding, humidity went up another five percent! Spray and your level will hold much longer than it currently is. Try a water dish with lots of surface area. Another possible five percent. A few of these tactics combined may very well put you back in the green.
    If not, Reptiflo or humidifier. I use a humidifier in my 29 tall for constant 55- 60 level and turn on the repti flo for shed time(winter is very dry here and I heat partially with wood so dry dry dry). Now I at least never need to mist.

Thanks
    ya i need both the light and the heating pad to keep it where i need it bc ive got the coldest room so it hard to keep temp with out both but ill try some of ur ideas! and tell u how it comes out!
    thanks
    pinkham
    Need to fill some empty spaces!

Thanks
    Also on the topic of water dishes, if you use a glass, pyrex, or ceramic dish it will conduct heat better than a plastic dish and should help boost your humidity. You can get something that will fit the bill for as little as $0.60 or so with terra cotta pot bottoms at home and garden stores or $3 or so for a pyrex pie dish.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast