Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,717

0 members and 2,717 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Shipping to California?

Can anybody help me understand the regulations for California and Ball Python/reptile shipments? I have read that it is not legal to own, import, ship to, etc california, but cannot get good confirmation on this, and know that ball pythons are owned there by quite a few. What I found suggests that allthough it is illegal, it is just unregulated, so may as well be legal.... so, ummm, is this all true?

Information/clarification would be much appreciated!
    Thanks
    Ball Pythons.... I have a few

Thanks

Re: Shipping to California?

Are you in Cali or shipping to Cali? there are reptiles that are illegal but they are mainly venomous, crocs,gators, caiman and and natives and such.

Thanks
    Shipping to.

Thanks
    Not sure what you were reading? I guarantee if all of that were true, the industry wouldn't be so strong here! If all of that were true there wouldn't be any of the large suppliers that exist out here! There certainly wouldn't be boas, pythons, tortoises, beardies, corn snakes etc. For Sale at petco and petsmart! Maybe post up what you were reading!
    5.3 normals, 3.1 mojave, 2.4 pastels, 1.0 yellow belly, 1.1 cinnamon, 1.1 het pied, 1.0 pastel/yellowbelly
    Also: Burmese, Retic, RTBs, kenyans, dumerils, hognose, corns, milk, king, uromastyx, leopard geckos, bearded dragons, dart frogs, tortoises, tarantulas, cockatiels, reef tanks, dogs, cats, chickens, goat, rats and???

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    As I live in Norcal, know many other reptile keepers , and have been to quite a few reptile stores and expos, I can tell you that it is legal to own, import, ship, and sell balls. I've had several snakes shipped to my house from out of state.

Maybe you're confused with the Burmese Python ban, which states that burms cannot be imported, exported, or transported across state lines.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    It was a generalized statement that said "reptiles" without specifics to species, venomous or not, and so forth, and specified a permit as necessary. In searching, it appears I am not the only one who read it as a problem as you can find the same question posted in other places online. Before posting the initial question here, I did find information on some cities and counties having laws on certain reptiles, where they specified what was allowed, but when looking back at the information for the state, I couldn't find anything that wasn't generalized, and thus concerning.

Having full knowledge of the python ban, it wasn't a question of the python ban's restrictions as I know what those restrictions are, and am glad they are not yet a concern in this case, or much other shipping I will be doing.

Thank you all for your help and glad to know that I can ship without concern!!!

Thanks
    There is no general "reptile" restriction, and Ball pythons are not specifically prohibited.

However, California is one of the most particular about proper package labeling, and they audit/inspect a LOT of the incoming packages. It is important to label the box properly.

Wildlife- Live Harmless Reptile covers you for the requirement both federally and for the state of California.