Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,848

1 members and 2,847 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    I was just curious as to if there is any way to get the history or orgins of this site. I am just curious as to who started it, why they started it, who runs the whole show and how it caught on and became what it is now. Just interested because this place is great and I would like to give some props to those that started the ball rolling. Is there a site history section under site or anything?
    - Jonah
    1.0 Ball Python [Icculus]
    >>>>Looking for a vet?<<<<
    http://www.herpvetconnection.com/
    http://www.arav.org

Thanks

How did this site begin? (site history)

"ball rolling" haha that was unintentional - i crack me up

Thanks
    LOL, John "The Godfather" would be the overseer, the one who began it all ...
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Banned
    Thanks
    gimme 15 mins, I'm gonna be a while typing....

Banned
    Thanks
    All started for me about August 2002. I joined a site called geckoisland, the first site i ever joined. They used a content management system called postnuke. I loved it, it was so easy to use, nice looking, and felt high tech. Geckoisland became my home, I spent so much time in it's chat room talking with herpers, and posting on the forums. It was heaven. Then I met a dude who called himself Leo-Land, we hung out a lot, chatted, ect. He had a site called Leo-Land also. At around mid 2003 geckoisland.com started to die, the owner just lost interest. So I migrated myself over to leo-land.net. I became a moderator there due to my friendship with the owner, had a lot of fun. I was completely alone there though, it was all leopard gecko people. So I went to places like ssnakess and KS, didn't like it.

Jeff, aka Leo-Land used postnuke too, just like geckoisland. And Jeff, being my friend, taught me how to run it, and then I kept learning. So in July 2003 Jeff supplied me with webspace. I created what is this site at ball.leo-land.net, it was so basic. I had about 30 users because I spammed it in chat rooms. The site had a metalic theme, very little content, blank forums from lack of activity, ect. Jeanne, the admin now, joined from when I showed the site to a yahoo group. So did all my old school members such as Randy and Sassafrass. It was fun. Jeff however moved from florida to colorado. And he was gone a lot, I couldn't get his help with the server. So I switched to new webspace at ball.geckoisland.com.

All the members were deleted during the switch, and the site started over basically. We were known as Ball Python Kingdom, so I assumed the name Ballkingdom. The site started up again, Jeanne and Randy were dubbed admins and helped out a LOT as the site grew. I was learning the ins and outs of postnuke, having a ball. But then we got a troll, a mass troll. Twice a day the guy would troll the site. He had a rotating IP address so he was hard to bann. I finally traced him down, and confronted him. The owner of the site that hosted me got pissed that I'd confronted the troll, as opposed to dropping the issue like he'd told me to do. So he kicked me off the webserver. He was afraid the troll would go to his site.

So I was left with a decision, go back to ball.leo-land.net, or get a domain. A user had told me that nobody would take me seriously if I didn't have a domain. With some quick searching I found this domain and liked it. I bought some space really cheap and moved all my files over. I had a friend, Matt Koss, help with some problesm that occured during the move. And also had to new domain setup. ball-pythons.net was born.

Things went on as usual, with massive additions, ect. Hits were doubling each month. Content was being added, members were joining, ect. Things were going good. We were encountering problems with e-mails, so I had a friend move the site over to his server, the ones I'm on now. Went real easy, had some problems with people's browsers pointing to the old server.

So the site came to here. I switched themes, members came. Things kept getting better. Constant building, as is the case now, was being done.

And no there is Bp.net...

There is a lot to add, anyone feel free to add content to the story.

Banned
    Thanks
    Given a good hour I could write down a real thourough story. The site really has gone through a lot of work, changes, ect. Been real tricky, but those are the highlights. We started out as a crappy site with a subdomain on a free webspace.

Thanks
    wow - what a cool story (and evolution) thanks!

Banned
    Thanks
    I'm a web forum dumbass so can you tell me what it means that the site got "Trolled"?

Thanks Don John.

Banned
    Thanks

I have sent an e-mail to petco

Guest, feel free to join the site. I'm thinkin bout making these two forums members only also.

Trolled is when someone joins the site to just post swears, insults, ect.

Thanks
    And/or to get a rise out of members and derail threads off-topic ...
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast