Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,211

2 members and 3,209 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I read a lot of info on various species of snakes that I find atractive, some of course are concidered "begginers" snakes,others for pros only,and this I understand Afrocks,retics, and even Burms can be quite a handful I would think if they were feelin a bit grumpy.But than there are the "intermediate" snakes wich may not get huge but its still recomended that you have some experience under your belt. So how do you know when your ready to keep one of these intermediate snakes? Lets say youve kept BPs for years would you than be ready to care for one of the short tail pythons, or own a brazilian rainbow boa? If youve only handled Spotties how would you be ready to handle and read a blood python? Dont get me wrong Im in no rush to take on more than I can handle but I would like to gradualy be heading in the right direction.

Banned
    Thanks
    If you keep a bp under proper husbandry, and feel you can move up, you can. It's really up to the person.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    its all about beginner mistakes. a ball python is a hardy species that will survive through pretty much whatever mistake you make as a beginner. like john said, once you kept a ball python under proper husbandry, and you feel like you could take care of something that requires a little more effort to care for, then your ready to move on. i think the the intermediate type snake usually need are high humidity or they are bigger or feistier. but you could read about that on a care sheet...
    short tail pythons are known for being snappy. or they used to be. but captive bred, they are fine. they arent quite like a BP, but they arent vicious. although, i would expect a hatchling to be snappy. wether youd be able to read a blood python, i really dont know. i think once you had it in your hands you'd know what to do.

As long as you can provide the best environment possible for the animal and you know the requirements and can meet those, its really up to you what you do next.