Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,632

1 members and 2,631 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: housing?

hello,

i was wondering if i could make out a house out of two rubbermaid containers (2.5 ft long each, 15-20 in high, and 15-20in wide), for a ball python, i was wondering if this would be an adequate sized house for a ball python when its fully grown, i will be buying a baby(when i get money) but i dont want to buy extra cages, so i was wondering if this would be good for its whole life. thanks

Thanks

gerbils

John, I don't know how you'd go about creating an enclosure out of two Rubbermaids, but you can get a big Rubbermaid intended for wrapping paper or artificial tree storage that will work for a full-grown bp. BP's need about 1 ft. more floor space than their length, so a 4-ft. bp ought to have 5 ft. or so of floor space. However, a big container like that is unsuitable for a hatchling or juvenile, as they will stress from having that much space. If you got a hatchling this season, you could keep it in a 49-qt. Sterilite easily until December 2005 when the big seasonal containers are easy to find again.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

well, i know how im gunna make the rubbermaid thing work(well, in my head at least), and i was thinking for a baby, would just one of them be fine, till it gets older, then attach the other one? or should i buy one that is the 2.5 feet one, then wait till it gets bigger, then get the large, artificial tree size one?

Thanks
    One of the smaller ones would be okay, though still a little tall for what a baby needs. You'll almost definitely be better off using a smaller one and graduating to the bigger, shallower, artificial tree one. Aside from everything else, it's easier to maintain your temp gradient in a shallower container and most adult bp's aren't inclined to climb much.

Here's the drawers I use for mine (bottom two -- top is my roommate's and less effective at holding temps):

3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!