Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,469

1 members and 3,468 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Giant Python ban?

Quote Originally Posted by xFenrir View Post
    Tegu's are also a big problem in Florida, if I remember correctly.

I understand that Burms and other invasive species are changing the environment and forcing out native species, but I kind of feel that that's life. Evolution will take its course, and either animals will evolve to adapt to new predators/prey or they will unfortunately be wiped out. Isn't that nature though? It's happened a million times before on Earth, it's just now we think we can do something to stop it.

I mean, look at humans. The single most disruptive and destructive animal on the face of the Earth, but we aren't trying to remove ourselves. We think we belong here more than anything else. :/

I dunno, I feel like since Burms/etc are so settled in, eradicating their population is pretty much impossible.
    Exactly! So glad to meet someone with the same opinion as me. I mean, humans are an invasive species. We've invaded every animals habitat, but no one wants to declare hunting season on us. I mean, I'm not saying we should kill off the human race, but... We're way worse than other animals.
    And it is evolution. Life goes on, the earth changes. That's how it works, and it's how we survive.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,319 Times in 1,088 Posts
    I agree too that humans are an invasive species! lol... We take whatever we want because we have this idea that we have a right to everything! If a man jumps into water that has a sign that says "danger alligators" and gets bit we go out and kill an alligator even though that dumbass jumped into the alligators house. People are wondering why more and more moose are walking through neighborhoods in Alaska when its obvious we just threw up a new apartment complex on a piece of land that once was inhabited by those moose... I am no environmentalist but an animal lover and I hate to see this kind of thing. It makes me angry!
    -Andrew Hall-

Good night Chesty, wherever you are....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts

Tegu's are also a big problem in Florida, if I remember correctly.

I understand that Burms and other invasive species are changing the environment and forcing out native species, but I kind of feel that that's life. Evolution will take its course, and either animals will evolve to adapt to new predators/prey or they will unfortunately be wiped out. Isn't that nature though? It's happened a million times before on Earth, it's just now we think we can do something to stop it.

I mean, look at humans. The single most disruptive and destructive animal on the face of the Earth, but we aren't trying to remove ourselves. We think we belong here more than anything else. :/

I dunno, I feel like since Burms/etc are so settled in, eradicating their population is pretty much impossible.
    Their population is not major. They do not have high numbers, they are not outnumbering many of the native fauna, it's all misguided statistics based on the Nature Conservancy, as much as I love those people for their work with endangered species. None the less, to say that "evolution will take over" is a very misunderstanding of the feats of evolution in action. You have to remember that a factor of evolution is time. Lots and lots of time. Humans are the reason we have to put species on the endangered list, because they can not adapt fast enough to deal with our presence in areas we once were vacated from.

We have to continue to control the native population because they are native and their species has a right to survive. By allowing invasives to overrun "out compete" our native population we are in essence allowing a species with no right to survive in that area, out compete a species who has the right to continued existence. The thing that triggered the burmese python stuff in Florida started because scientist found a wireless transmitter from an endangered species they were monitoring (rat species) inside a burmese python. This led to population surveys to give us an idea of the density these pythons had established. Thanks to flawed surveys, and well paid researchers who are pro anti species endangerment (please note the sarcasm in that tone), numbers were generated that made this issue look out of control . . . If you go to the everglades, chances are you will not find a burmese python. That seems pretty surprising giving the latest polls stated 36-50k were inhabiting the everglades.

On that note - eradicating the population in the wild is still plausable, but moot. Cold spells kill them off. It's been proven with research from a univeristiy in South Carolina... However, the bans are simply hurting the industry and those who seek to use these amazing animals in education classes across the US to encourage respect toward snake populations in the wild, and an appreciation for the populations in captivity.

Will the ban do anything? Heck no . . . I'm pretty sure that if a DPS officer pulls you over crossing state lines and sees your snake and you call your burmese a reticulated python, they will not know a bit of difference. . . this is the government stepping in to fix a problem that will in the end be able to fix itself, or have other means of a solution at a STATE level, and not a federal one. . As an officer told me the other day when we were talking snakes . . . "I can kill our enemies or die for my country trying, but when I come home, I can't even take my best friend across state lines" . . .
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

Thanks

Evolution will take its course, and either animals will evolve to adapt to new predators/prey or they will unfortunately be wiped out. Isn't that nature though? It's happened a million times before on Earth, it's just now we think we can do something to stop it.
    I hate to bring this thread a bit off topic, but the problem with invasive species is that they are not natural, and they never were a problem until humans came up with the idea of moving a species from one area of the world to another. Without human involvement, the Burmese pythons never would have made it to the Everglades. Invasive species flourish because they have no natural predators in the area they are taken to and therefore do not experience the normal checks and balance of an established ecosystem. They can potentially wipe out many native species, at a rate that does not occur in a "natural" situation.

Yes, eventually things balance out (probably in hundreds or thousands of years), but the ecosystem is never the same again and can even become a "dead zone" of sorts if the invader kills off everything, loses all of its resources and then dies off itself. And yes, humans are the worst of the invasive species, but we definitely don't help things by continuing to introduce new invasives.

Don't get me wrong - I am generally for the keeping of exotic animals (with the exception of endangered species and the strong belief that everyone should buy captive bred animals if possible), but invasive species are a huge problem, ecologically speaking. There definitely needs to be better education or adoption programs or something before creating a law that's just going to force more people to release their exotic pets.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arcapello View Post
    Exactly! So glad to meet someone with the same opinion as me. I mean, humans are an invasive species. We've invaded every animals habitat, but no one wants to declare hunting season on us. I mean, I'm not saying we should kill off the human race, but... We're way worse than other animals.
    And it is evolution. Life goes on, the earth changes. That's how it works, and it's how we survive.
    Hitler did just that. He believed his race of people to be superior, and if he could collectively destroy the other races, his particular race deserved the right for continued existence as the stronger genes. It was his viewpoint on human evolution, and a theory that was originally thought up in Darwins time. . .
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andybill View Post
    I agree too that humans are an invasive species! lol... We take whatever we want because we have this idea that we have a right to everything! If a man jumps into water that has a sign that says "danger alligators" and gets bit we go out and kill an alligator even though that dumbass jumped into the alligators house. People are wondering why more and more moose are walking through neighborhoods in Alaska when its obvious we just threw up a new apartment complex on a piece of land that once was inhabited by those moose... I am no environmentalist but an animal lover and I hate to see this kind of thing. It makes me angry!
    Same here, it upsets me that most people either can't see it, or they don't care.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by reptileexperts View Post
    Hitler did just that. He believed his race of people to be superior, and if he could collectively destroy the other races, his particular race deserved the right for continued existence as the stronger genes. It was his viewpoint on human evolution, and a theory that was originally thought up in Darwins time. . .
    I don't think one species should die off, I just don't think we should be killing off other species because "We're better than them", when we really are the ones at fault for moving into their habitat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gruneaugen86 View Post
    I hate to bring this thread a bit off topic, but the problem with invasive species is that they are not natural, and they never were a problem until humans came up with the idea of moving a species from one area of the world to another. Without human involvement, the Burmese pythons never would have made it to the Everglades. Invasive species flourish because they have no natural predators in the area they are taken to and therefore do not experience the normal checks and balance of an established ecosystem. They can potentially wipe out many native species, at a rate that does not occur in a "natural" situation.

Yes, eventually things balance out (probably in hundreds or thousands of years), but the ecosystem is never the same again and can even become a "dead zone" of sorts if the invader kills off everything, loses all of its resources and then dies off itself. And yes, humans are the worst of the invasive species, but we definitely don't help things by continuing to introduce new invasives.

Don't get me wrong - I am generally for the keeping of exotic animals (with the exception of endangered species and the strong belief that everyone should buy captive bred animals if possible), but invasive species are a huge problem, ecologically speaking. There definitely needs to be better education or adoption programs or something before creating a law that's just going to force more people to release their exotic pets.
    There should be a database or something where exotic pets are recorded. Something like that- The law just makes people more likely to dump their pets.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by reptileexperts View Post
    Their population is not major. They do not have high numbers, they are not outnumbering many of the native fauna, it's all misguided statistics based on the Nature Conservancy, as much as I love those people for their work with endangered species. None the less, to say that "evolution will take over" is a very misunderstanding of the feats of evolution in action. You have to remember that a factor of evolution is time. Lots and lots of time. Humans are the reason we have to put species on the endangered list, because they can not adapt fast enough to deal with our presence in areas we once were vacated from.

We have to continue to control the native population because they are native and their species has a right to survive. By allowing invasives to overrun "out compete" our native population we are in essence allowing a species with no right to survive in that area, out compete a species who has the right to continued existence. The thing that triggered the burmese python stuff in Florida started because scientist found a wireless transmitter from an endangered species they were monitoring (rat species) inside a burmese python. This led to population surveys to give us an idea of the density these pythons had established. Thanks to flawed surveys, and well paid researchers who are pro anti species endangerment (please note the sarcasm in that tone), numbers were generated that made this issue look out of control . . . If you go to the everglades, chances are you will not find a burmese python. That seems pretty surprising giving the latest polls stated 36-50k were inhabiting the everglades.

On that note - eradicating the population in the wild is still plausable, but moot. Cold spells kill them off. It's been proven with research from a univeristiy in South Carolina... However, the bans are simply hurting the industry and those who seek to use these amazing animals in education classes across the US to encourage respect toward snake populations in the wild, and an appreciation for the populations in captivity.

Will the ban do anything? Heck no . . . I'm pretty sure that if a DPS officer pulls you over crossing state lines and sees your snake and you call your burmese a reticulated python, they will not know a bit of difference. . . this is the government stepping in to fix a problem that will in the end be able to fix itself, or have other means of a solution at a STATE level, and not a federal one. . As an officer told me the other day when we were talking snakes . . . "I can kill our enemies or die for my country trying, but when I come home, I can't even take my best friend across state lines" . . .
    I heard someone argue the other day that our soldiers can die for this country, but if they ever have to move, they can't take their pets with them. It's sad.
    And the bans are definitely not helping. I do understand that something has to be done at some point, but I don't think the bans doing anything but upsetting people. I'm sure there's some other solution.

BPnet Veteran Jabberwocky Dragons's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gruneaugen86 View Post
    I agree that invasive species such cats and pigs are incredibly destructive but I'd like to see the tiniest shred of proof that Burmese are causing major even minor ecological damage in the Everglades. I suggest going back and reading the Python Report and other studies used to justify the large constrictor's inclusion to the Lacey Act. You can read more about one of the more popular studies here:

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...the-Everglades

Even while concluding about that the decrease in white tailed deer population, rabbits, and foxes must be attributed to Burmese, the authors actually found that the coyote, panther, and rat population has increased in Florida

This is the exact opposite of what would be expected if the python population was out of control. Rodents, the ideal prey for most sizes of python, should rapidly be decreasing in such a scenario. Likewise, as near or actual apex predators, Coyotes and Florida Panther populations should also be declining if Pythons were responsible for the decimation of most other prey species. There is no way possible for populations of other top predators to increase if pythons were single-handedly wiping out their food sources

Here's another quote from the article in the link:

Everglades National Park spokeswoman Linda Friar said park biologists have "no hard science" demonstrating there has been a dramatic reduction in mammal populations.
    It's very easy for an author of a report to conclude whatever they wish by choosing certain data points and ignoring others (as well as an incredibly limited sample size)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jabberwocky Dragons For This Useful Post:

Arcapello (08-10-2012)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12