Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 811

1 members and 810 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Is it possible to introduce a new ASF female?

I ordered a 1.2 ASF breeding trio from my pet store, however my order came in as 2.1. I refused the smaller male and I have a 1.1 breeding pair. The pet store is suppose to order me a 2nd female, however it's now been 3 weeks. I've read that there can be fighting and possible death if a new doe is introduced to an existing colony. I've also read that if I clean the tank and dab vanilla extract on their noses and/or bottoms that they should accept the new addition.

Also, housing wise, they are in a 10 gallon tank with metal screen topper. They have a wooden house, water, aspen bedding, 2 toilet paper rolls, food dish with mazuri rodent feed, and once a week I toss a carrot in there. I keep the front of their tank covered (mostly because I have a too curious cat).

I plan to feed offspring to my BPs. I have two 2012 females, an adult male, & plan to add 1-2 more BPs before the year is up. The plan is to euthanize then freeze extra weanlings for later consumption or trade them to my petstore for crickets for my beardie (the pet store has agreed to do this).

What are your thoughts on this? Should I leave my pair as is? Or wait for them to have their first litter and hold back one of the females to complete my breeding trio? Or should my pair be able to supply enough for the amount of snakes I have. I am new to this and would appreciate the expertise of the experienced members.

thanks,
    Last edited by Shanna; 08-04-2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    it's always easier to introduce a female rather than a male. if they do fight, it is very brief. at least for me, I have been lucky enough for no females fighting, even with males.

males with other males....yeah....now that's a problem.
    0.1 2011 Albino (early) "Snakey Gurl"
    0.1 2002 Normal "Crystal"
    0.1 2007 Normal "Ellie"
    0.1 2012 Normal (late) "Stardust"
    0.1 2012 Spider (early) "Pixie"
    0.1 2011 Het Pied (late) "Apple"
    0.1 20XX Normal (??) "Marilyn"
    0.1 20XX Normal (??) "Caroline"
    1.0 2011 Het Pied (early) "Mudd"
    1.0 2011 Enchi (late) "Batman"
    1.0 2011 Normal possible het ghost (early) "Snakey Boy"
    1.0 2011 Het Albino (early) "Alby"
    1.0 2011 Het Red Axanthics (late) "Sabre Tooth"
    1.0 2009 Normal "Buju"

Facebook: Twisted Ballz

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Ballz For This Useful Post:

Shanna (08-04-2012)

Thanks
    Easiest way after a colony is set for me is to just let a daughter stay in the tub and not ever take her out she will just become a mom.

I never introduce new animals to an existing colony, not saying you can't but I don't.

I have had 2 moms die out of the blue and I just let one of the babies stay in the tub to take over the role.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeM75 For This Useful Post:

Shanna (08-04-2012),Wapadi (08-30-2012)

Thanks
    I introduce new males/females all the time. It works best if the newbie is not quite old enough to breed yet.
    Rocky Mountain Balls
    Website
    Facebook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to spitzu For This Useful Post:

Shanna (08-04-2012)

Thanks

Re: Is it possible to introduce a new ASF female?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM75 View Post
    Easiest way after a colony is set for me is to just let a daughter stay in the tub and not ever take her out she will just become a mom.

I never introduce new animals to an existing colony, not saying you can't but I don't.

I have had 2 moms die out of the blue and I just let one of the babies stay in the tub to take over the role.

if you find a recent dead rat, male or female, do you throw in the freezer or in the garbage?
    0.1 2011 Albino (early) "Snakey Gurl"
    0.1 2002 Normal "Crystal"
    0.1 2007 Normal "Ellie"
    0.1 2012 Normal (late) "Stardust"
    0.1 2012 Spider (early) "Pixie"
    0.1 2011 Het Pied (late) "Apple"
    0.1 20XX Normal (??) "Marilyn"
    0.1 20XX Normal (??) "Caroline"
    1.0 2011 Het Pied (early) "Mudd"
    1.0 2011 Enchi (late) "Batman"
    1.0 2011 Normal possible het ghost (early) "Snakey Boy"
    1.0 2011 Het Albino (early) "Alby"
    1.0 2011 Het Red Axanthics (late) "Sabre Tooth"
    1.0 2009 Normal "Buju"

Facebook: Twisted Ballz

Thanks
    I went by the pet store last night and picked up a female from one of their recent litters (the female I had ordered still had not come in and the pet store has an ASF breeding trio on site). She's young, maybe 5~ish weeks old and a little smaller than my current female. I replaced the bedding, cleaned the tank, and dabbed some vanilla on their noses with a Q-Tip. The new female is very shy, but was readily accepted by the the current pair. I'm a happy camper! Thanks everyone!

When I cleaned their 3 week old bedding, I was amazed by how much it didn't stink! They've been using the restroom on top of their house & I dump their mess and clean the house with a little bit of Dawn dish soap water and a couple spritzes of vinegar/water spray whenever I refill their food & water. I can barely smell these guys! I've kept a a couple of feeder mice that my BP refused to eat until I could return them to the pet store & those guys smelled horrible after 2 days.

Thanks
    I've read the best way to introduce a new female is to completely clean the bin. Then put the new female in the clean bin with clean bedding first for an hour or two. Then introduce the rest of the treo one at a time with a small wait between each introduction. I don't know if this works, but it is worth a try.
    Last edited by Don; 08-05-2012 at 02:28 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shanna View Post
    I went by the pet store last night and picked up a female from one of their recent litters (the female I had ordered still had not come in and the pet store has an ASF breeding trio on site). She's young, maybe 5~ish weeks old and a little smaller than my current female. I replaced the bedding, cleaned the tank, and dabbed some vanilla on their noses with a Q-Tip. The new female is very shy, but was readily accepted by the the current pair. I'm a happy camper! Thanks everyone!

When I cleaned their 3 week old bedding, I was amazed by how much it didn't stink! They've been using the restroom on top of their house & I dump their mess and clean the house with a little bit of Dawn dish soap water and a couple spritzes of vinegar/water spray whenever I refill their food & water. I can barely smell these guys! I've kept a a couple of feeder mice that my BP refused to eat until I could return them to the pet store & those guys smelled horrible after 2 days.
    I keep a small empty bowl with a little bit of shavings in it. They use it for a toilet. Much easier for spot cleaning.
    0.1 butter
    1.1 pastel
    1.0 mojave
    0.1 bumblebee
    1.0 normal
    1.0 uromastyx mali
    2.1 anole
    0.0.1 peachfront conure
    0.10 chickens
    1.0 dog
    3.4 cats
    2.4 asf

Thanks

Introduce them in a freshly clean enviornment, and put dot of vanilla extract on their noses. Even doing that there is no guarantee they won't fight. Sometimes they get over it quick and other times someone winds up bitten to death.
    0.1 Normal (Bella)
    1.0 Het Russo (Felix)
    0.1 Het Russo (Alisha)
    1.0 Pewter (Rocco)
    0.1 Bumblebee (Janine)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Blanco)
    0.1 Black Pastel (Blackie)

http://www.iherp.com/bivman

Thanks

The Vanilla is a great trick!