Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,155

2 members and 3,153 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Business Advise. Male or Females?

Hello,
    This is my first post and i love the site. I have learned an incredible amount of helpful information and i will definetly be a long time subscriber as i am new to the hobby. I have a heavy passion for the animals and am very anxious to get into breeding when my snakes are up to size. I also have every intention of treating this as a viable business, as i naturally have a knack and passion for business. I have a couple questions i was hoping somebody could offer a bit of advice. Any would be very much appreciated. My questions are is better to invest in males or females? i mean i now more females then males is necessary especially at first but is it better to put to put the returns i see back into males or females? I would assume i need to produce babies so females is a must but should i be looking for genetically higher males too? or should i be looking to hold back my genetically higher males i produce and keep moving up, i heard it it was better to breed higher males to lower females. Also i currently have a lesser male, two spider females and a normal female. Anybody think that would be a good start? Theyll be ready to breed next season and i am also going to try looking for a champagne sometime soon. Dont know if i should look for male or female. Thanks in advance for any help

Thanks
    The smartest thing in my eyes is to do, is to invest in some females.

Remember that females usually take 3 years to reach sexual maturity so if your just starting out that is where I would put my money. Males are cheaper and are breedable within their first year.

To give you an idea. A 2000 gram female spider is worth about $600 where as you can get a double gene hatchling male for that price.

Personally I would invest in single morph females and buy the males as you can or offer trades.

Let's say your only doing a 2.2 pairing..

Let's say you invested in single gene females.. a spider and a pinstripe. And you bought single gene males, a lesser and a pastel. Now you bred the lesser to the spider and the pastel to the pinstripe and you get (if the odd gods like you) A pastel pinstripe male, and a lesser spider. You give them a year and breed the offspring to the oposite mothers and you have the potential to hit triple gene animals in both of your pairing in your second generation.

Or.. You can hit a Pastel Pinstripe female, and a lesser spider male and breed them together when the female reached maturity and have the potential to hit a quad gene power house in your second generation.

I know there are tons of people who buy up a dozen normal females and cycle their males through them, and that's fine but if your looking to make an investment, Invest in some single, or double gene females.

Remember if you breed a single gene co-dom male to a normal female your only going to get 50% single gene co=dom offspring.
    Last edited by decensored; 08-03-2012 at 03:27 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to decensored For This Useful Post:

MaxT815 (08-03-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxT815 View Post
    Hello,
    This is my first post and i love the site. I have learned an incredible amount of helpful information and i will definetly be a long time subscriber as i am new to the hobby. I have a heavy passion for the animals and am very anxious to get into breeding when my snakes are up to size. I also have every intention of treating this as a viable business, as i naturally have a knack and passion for business. I have a couple questions i was hoping somebody could offer a bit of advice. Any would be very much appreciated. My questions are is better to invest in males or females? i mean i now more females then males is necessary especially at first but is it better to put to put the returns i see back into males or females? I would assume i need to produce babies so females is a must but should i be looking for genetically higher males too? or should i be looking to hold back my genetically higher males i produce and keep moving up, i heard it it was better to breed higher males to lower females. Also i currently have a lesser male, two spider females and a normal female. Anybody think that would be a good start? Theyll be ready to breed next season and i am also going to try looking for a champagne sometime soon. Dont know if i should look for male or female. Thanks in advance for any help
    You have a pretty good start there. What you are going to want to do is going to depend on a few things. 1. What do you want to produce? 2. What your budget is. Generally people want the most cost effective way into the higher end stuff. That means buy a few normal or single gene females and a hell of a male to put to them.

Done right 1 male can go to quite a few females. So spend your money on girls and then try and get a 4-5 Banger male to put to them. You will be producing all kinds of cool stuff. Then you can hold back more multi morph females. Just remember to produce things you don't mind keeping if they don't sell. Also, feeding a bunch of hatchling gets really expensive really fast.

My advice to you is to sit down and write up a business plan and a breeding plan. Go into detail with the things you'd like to produce and how you can get to that point. Take it slow, a lot of new people jump in with both feet and soon are drowning trying to unload their collection at half what they paid...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    Like us on FACEBOOK...
    www.facebook.com/zombiesmorphs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie For This Useful Post:

MaxT815 (08-03-2012)

Thanks

Re: Business Advise. Male or Females?

wow the pin stripe x lesser spider produces some wicked stuff thats sweet! I am definetly trying to move at an even pace. Having a good amount of females to a couple power house males makes sense. My plan from this point was, I got a really good deal on the 3 females and one male. I was going to get a female pastel instead of the second spider but she got sold before i could. I bought them from a local breeder and they are going to be up to weight next season. I was thinking from the lesser to the three females i would get spiders lessers and have two chances and lesser bees. I wouldnt know what to hold back from there but i figured they would all be relatively easy to sell to reinvest and early next year start looking for some recessive hatchling females to be ready in early 2016. But maybe now im thinking with your guys advice to look for some more co doms to pair the following year with my spiders and normal since theyll be ready to go and i can keep generating revenue to re invest. But i dont want to wait too long on to get into recessives because of course 3 years is already a long time to raise to breeding weight.I can be patient though. Even though i would be generating revenue in the meantime of course. I dont know. I thought i was putting myself in a good spot. I just want to make sure i make good desicions i dont want to waste resources. Its a delicate balance, i think thats what is drawing me in! And the animals of course! The genetics and the business and timing all come together in a very intriguing way!

Thanks
    First off... Welcome to the Site!

You've got some good replies already so I will keep my input regarding your initial investment short.

Once you have determined your breeding goals get your females. Once your females are nearing sexual maturity and optimal breeding size purchase your star male. Keep in mind you can find well started or female breeders if you want to jump start your business. I recently picked up a proven pastel female at 1900g for a pretty decent price.

As far as planning for your business I will not be so brief...

What should you do? What's in it for you?

1 Write a sentence describing what products or services your business provides. You have a short statement that tells people-investors, customers, family members-what you do. You'll use it all the time.

2 Write down who your customers are and why they will buy from you over the competition.(Price, quality, innovation, service, convenience?) You get a mental picture of the ideal customer, including demographics, and the way the customer thinks. It's very helpful in your marketing and other decisions such as pricing, distribution and so on.

3 Research your market before investing in resources. For example: products, customers, competition, traffic patterns, parking, rents, employee availability, labor costs. The more you know, the better. Try to get real numbers, not estimates, to use for your projections.

4 Decide how you will get your product or service to your customers-how will they learn about your product or service. For example, directly to customers through retail, distrbution arrangements or over the internet. You can now put some costs to these items and make sure the methods you chooese are linking up to the customers you have identified and their reason for buying from you. You will also begin to recognize any problems or bottlenecks in your strategies and develop solutions or alternate plans.

5 Decide where you will conduct your business. Can you work at home or do you need an office, a plant or a store? Choose a location that balances all your important criteria such as budget, traffic and visibility. This will lead to concrete information about the cost of rent or real estate, labor and distribution. You may also be able to determine traffic patterns, customer parking availability and other important considerations.

6 Forecast your finances: Create realistic income statements and cash flow projections. What will your costs, sales and profits be for the first two or three years? Will you have sufficient cash flow to survive the start-up? What is your break-even point (the point at which you begin to make money)? Talk to your accountant and banker. These will prove to yourself and indicate to lenders and other backers that your ideas are based in reality. You must show that your plan has a definite timeline and will make money and pay back investors.

7 How will you obtain raw materials or other crucial supplies? Are there backup sources to draw upon? With a list of suppliers and alternatives, you are prepared if one goes out of business or cannot meet your requirements.

8 Decide how many employees (if any) you need, and find out whether it is easy to hire people with the required skills in your market area. You will know what skills you will be looking for and you will have a better understanding of what you will need to pay, including benefits, to attracts employees and fully staff your company.

9 Set up your advisory team: Get professional advisors, partners and mentors behind you. You get the benefit of their experience with other companies that have gone through similar situations.

10 What are the key risks your business will face? (Consider problems such as the failure of a key supplier or customer, product-performance issues, legal disputes and illnesses befalling key employees-including you.) What will you do to deal with these risks? You will be prepared for most foreseeable situations. You may wish to buy insurance for certain risks.
    Lucas (LC)| Snake Hunter Exotics | Like Us on Facebook | @TheSnakeHunter

Lots of snakes, a bunch of horses and an array of other animals small and large!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts
    You've already gotten some good advice, but I am going to add my philosophy on which females to invest in.

I personally believe it's more worth while to invest in co-dom females. My reasoning behind this is you will be able to hit on supers faster. For instance I have a butter female and a pewter female but I don't have any males that could let me produce super cinnies or BELs. This doesn't bother me because I have other plans for these females currently, but I can hold back their sons and try for supers. If I only had a pinstripe female and a pastel male it would take a lot longer to have a chance at producing killer blasts than if I had a pastel female and pinstripe male.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks

Thanks guys i definetly see what you mean. So i suppose in my particular case after my season i should (hopefully) end up with lessers and spiders and normals, and HOPEfully a lesser bee all male and female. So in that case i would guess i should hold back maybe one female spider and female lesser, sell everything else thats male and the extra females and spend my returns on one or two powerhouse males? Would it be better to sell the lesser bee at that point as well or hold it back? I guess if it was male i could hold it back and sell if female? I wouldnt mind giving it up because i want to keep progressing from the start so if a lesser bee would bring 800 dollars in to re invest i would think that would be the better option...? But if its male i could keep and breed after a year back to my girls and sell later, this would be helpful if seeing as morphs increase in value as they age...? But then again breeding the lesser bee back to my girls will only produce duplicates of what i already have multiples of so itd probably be smart to sell either way unless i tracked down another multi gene to pair with. I dont know. Any of that sound like im heading in the right direction?!
    Last edited by MaxT815; 08-03-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Thanks

Anybody else have any advice?

Thanks
    Females gain in value as they get bigger, makes do a little but no nearly as much. As mentioned, co-dom females are good so you can hit supers much faster, same if you look into recessives, you get visuals a lot faster if you invest in the girls, otherwise your waiting years for babies to get up to size.
    Skagit Reptiles