Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,800

5 members and 2,795 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Rats show empathy - article with video

I just loved this and figured people on here would appreciate it as well.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...jfO_story.html

1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyknees For This Useful Post:

Emilio (08-24-2012),Michelle.C (08-25-2012),youbeyouibei (08-30-2012)

BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks
    Why must they only live for 2 years!?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bluebonnet Herp For This Useful Post:

babyknees (11-30-2012),Michelle.C (08-25-2012)

Thanks

Re: Rats show empathy - article with video

Quote Originally Posted by pythonminion View Post
    Why must they only live for 2 years!?
    I KNOW! That is their only draw back as a pet. I'm so bonded with my girls and one is coming up on 1.5 years

1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks
    Thanked 1,789 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Huh...that was a cool read. Thanks!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    Balls:
    *0.1 Mojave *0.1 Pinstripe *0.1 Bumblebee *1.0 Super pastel butter *1.0 Mojave orange ghost *0.3 100% het orange ghosts *0.1 Pastel 50% het orange ghost *1.1 PE Lemonback fires *1.0 Fire *0.1 Pastel *1.0 Albino *0.1 Spider 100% het albino
    Other critters:
    *1.0 Anery motley corn *G. rosea tarantula *G. pulchripes *P. metallica *0.0.2 A. versicolor *C. cyaneopubescens *A. geniculata *B. smithi *B. boehmei *Nhandu chromatus *H. maculata *C. marshalli *1.0 Australian shepherd mix

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Coleslaw007 View Post
    Huh...that was a cool read. Thanks!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    No problem! I bought a full copy of the study so I could use it for a research paper.

1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 689 Posts
    I must be one of the few people here that really does not like rats. Most rodents actually.

This is very intriguing though! Very interesting read for sure!

Maybe I'll get past my rodent / rat issues one day...who knows.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    This is super awesome. A conclusion I've come to in my head without having any basis besides experience is this:

A major question that needs to be answered next is whether the free rat liberates the captive one to relieve its own stress or the stress of the other animal. “It’s more likely to be the former,” Mogil said. “But even if it is the former, I’m not sure that’s so different from humans.”

Excited to see where this research leads science!
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    If the captive rat was giving distress calls, it begs me (thinking as a biologist) to question whether the free rat was showing true empathy, or was biologically driven to release the captive rat in order to quiet it and thus remain safe from detection by predators. If the rats were not confined in the same space, would the free rat have stuck around and freed the captive rat, or would it have moved off and left the captive rat to fend for itself?

But having said that...
    When I was in high school, I had a bird cage converted so I could use it to keep rats. I had two rats living in it, and secured the sliding doors with paper clips. One day I came home to find the rats loose in my room. I put them back, and secured the doors, must have just forgotten to do so last time I fed them! Later that evening I watched as the rats not only undid the paper clips, but one rat held the door open for the other rat, and then proceeded to let itself out. That can't be explained so easily!
    Why keep a snake? Why keep any animal? Because you enjoy the animal, find something beautiful and fascinating about it, and it fits seamlessly into your lifestyle.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sorraia View Post
    If the captive rat was giving distress calls, it begs me (thinking as a biologist) to question whether the free rat was showing true empathy, or was biologically driven to release the captive rat in order to quiet it and thus remain safe from detection by predators. If the rats were not confined in the same space, would the free rat have stuck around and freed the captive rat, or would it have moved off and left the captive rat to fend for itself?

But having said that...
    When I was in high school, I had a bird cage converted so I could use it to keep rats. I had two rats living in it, and secured the sliding doors with paper clips. One day I came home to find the rats loose in my room. I put them back, and secured the doors, must have just forgotten to do so last time I fed them! Later that evening I watched as the rats not only undid the paper clips, but one rat held the door open for the other rat, and then proceeded to let itself out. That can't be explained so easily!
    Quoted from the article linked

"In 13 percent of the sessions, the trapped animal gave an alarm call, but vocalized distress was clearly not necessary to put the free rat to work."

So no, not every scenario the captive was giving distress calls. Also, (not exactly the same as what you described, but interesting nontheless)

"After liberation, the rats nuzzled and explored the experimental arena. But when the setup was changed so that the captive exited into a different area, the free rat still opened the door for the captive one."

Either way, pretty cool stuff! Did you see the bit about saving the chocolate chips for the captive? When alone, the rat would eat all 5 chips, when there was a captive, often they saved 1-1 1/2 chips for the captive. That's just crazy neat.

Thanks
    That was a good read couldn't watch the vid tho. I didn't like rats until I decided to start breeding them now I'm starting to grow a little attached specially to my blue girl
    Normals 1.3
    Spider .1
    Carpet Python .1
    Dog APBT .1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast