Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,677

1 members and 2,676 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

ATB laying partly in its water dish? Temp question also

So, I've noticed my baby ATB will occasionally lay part of its body in its water dish for a couple hours at a time. I am 99% sure it isn't mites. Does this mean anything?

Also, I've seen a lot of conflicting info about temps, in particular hot spots. Right now I am keeping the hot spot at 82-83º with an ambient air temp of 77º. I've seen some provide a hot spot of 83, 85, and even 90+. There is probably no single right answer, so I would just like to know what you keep your ATBs hot spot at?
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Re: ATB laying partly in its water dish? Temp question also

How's your humidity? Any recent stuck shed on her? My hotspot is anywhere from 85-88 (from a heat lamp), but she only uses it when digesting, otherwise she stays to the back of her perch where the temps are closer to 79-82. The floor of my cage can get as low as 76, but that's because of all the moist substrate, and she very rarely completely leaves her perch.

You said a baby, what's your set up? That might have something to do with it.

Thanks
    Humidity never drops below 60% and is normall 70%-80%

No stuck shed, although she is getting a pink belly. So she will probably shed soon.

I have heard of ATBs leaving the perch and it not being a bad thing. I added a small reptile basics hide in there for her and she is in there sometimes. I have her in a 15qt tub right now. its about 8" tall and I have crisscrossing PVC perches. I have a heat mat on the top with some foam on it to make the warmth go down. Ambient temps don't fall below 75º although it is normally 77º. Maybe a slight drop at night.

I treated her enclosure with PAM last night just to be safe.
    Last edited by Kaorte; 08-03-2012 at 04:36 PM.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Re: ATB laying partly in its water dish? Temp question also

Hmm well your humidity is on. I was thinking that if you were using belly heat that it could be drying out the substrate too much and not giving you an accurate humidity reading, but you've got it coming form the top. I mentioned the perch thing just so it didn't seem like mine was constantly stuck at 75*.

I noticed you also posted this on AA, so you will definitely get more experienced opinions on there. From what I know, if you are sure your humidity readings are accurate, and there's no mites, I would lean towards it not being a big deal. But keep it up on AA there's a wealth of information from experienced corallus keepers, you'll get to the bottom of it!

Thanks
    Yeah I am using an Accurite for humidity, those are usually pretty good. I'm using paper towel for substrate, I mist it once or twice a day with warm water.

I haven't seen her in the water bowl at all since I sprayed PAM.
    ~Steffe