Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,202

1 members and 3,201 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

View Poll Results: What type of Bird

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blue Front Amazon

0 0%
  • Green Cheek Conure

2 14.29%
  • Eleanora Cockatoo

1 7.14%
  • Goffin Cockatoo

1 7.14%
  • Ducorp Cockatoo

0 0%
  • African Grey Timneh

2 14.29%
  • Sun Conure

4 28.57%
  • Double Yellow Head Amazon

0 0%
  • Umbrella Cockatoo

1 7.14%
  • Yellow Naped Amazon

0 0%
  • Rose Breasted Cockatoo

1 7.14%
  • Blue Crown Conure

2 14.29%
  • Moluccan Cockatoo

0 0%
  • Solomon Island Eclectus

1 7.14%
  • African Grey Congo Parrot

3 21.43%
  • Blue and Gold Macaw

0 0%
  • Hahns Macaw

0 0%
  • Yellow Naped Amazon

0 0%
  • Blue Headed Pionus

0 0%
  • Senegal Poicephalus

2 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Wife looking for new bird

Quote Originally Posted by Valentine Pirate View Post
    I always liked parrots, but the noise factor has been an obstacle since I've been interested in getting one. After some research I started looking at toucans and toucanets, and they seem to be very friendly and trainable, they don't have an ability to speak though (if that's something you're going for). They don't have the "good morning" screams and I've heard nothing but good things about their personality. When I can I'll probably get an ivory billed aracari, or a pied crow (crows are my all time favorite birds )
    I would LOVE to have a Pied Crow.. and I don't know why I don't, tbh. I put all this money into snakes... and now that I look at Pied Crow prices, they don't seem nearly as much as they used to! haha. I've looked into Toucans as well, but I'm leary of the mess. Gorgeous animals though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,789 Times in 1,214 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Valentine Pirate View Post
    I always liked parrots, but the noise factor has been an obstacle since I've been interested in getting one. After some research I started looking at toucans and toucanets, and they seem to be very friendly and trainable, they don't have an ability to speak though (if that's something you're going for). They don't have the "good morning" screams and I've heard nothing but good things about their personality. When I can I'll probably get an ivory billed aracari, or a pied crow (crows are my all time favorite birds )
    I've always wanted a crow. I rehabilitated an abandoned baby boat-tailed grackle years ago when I was maybe 12-13. He was the coolest thing ever. He was so smart and he loved me, I could do anything I wanted with him. He hated everyone else though, he'd throw anything he could pick up at Pookie if she went into my room, with great accuracy too. Didn't want to encourage him to be too people-friendly for when I let him go, plus it was pretty hilarious. I let him go at a local park when he was old enough and saw him several times after. Black birds are awesome!
    These are boat-tailed grackles:
    http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/c/ce...kle_sim_1.jpeg

Lorikeets are another really awesome bird, they can learn to talk and they have a cool, almost haunting voice. Their tongues are crazy too, they look almost like flowers. They also look like something a child colored with magic markers, bright colored patches all over, they almost look fake. I've never owned one but we used to go play with one a local nursery had and he was the coolest thing ever.
    http://i40.tinypic.com/73gsjm.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_bjo9x6edqt...rikeet_2sf.jpg
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 08-02-2012 at 02:52 PM.
    Balls:
    *0.1 Mojave *0.1 Pinstripe *0.1 Bumblebee *1.0 Super pastel butter *1.0 Mojave orange ghost *0.3 100% het orange ghosts *0.1 Pastel 50% het orange ghost *1.1 PE Lemonback fires *1.0 Fire *0.1 Pastel *1.0 Albino *0.1 Spider 100% het albino
    Other critters:
    *1.0 Anery motley corn *G. rosea tarantula *G. pulchripes *P. metallica *0.0.2 A. versicolor *C. cyaneopubescens *A. geniculata *B. smithi *B. boehmei *Nhandu chromatus *H. maculata *C. marshalli *1.0 Australian shepherd mix

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Coleslaw007 For This Useful Post:

MSG-KB (08-02-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,063 Posts

@Valentine Pirate and Anatopism:

Are Toucans expensive where you are? There was one at a pet store near me that was priced at $18k. Was never bought so it became a store pet and eventually went home with one of the managers when it hit like 20 yrs old or something.

Totally cool bird, I used to interact with it through the cage bars and it seemed to like me and they did give it it's own free time out of the cage. Although, they were weary of it being out during high volume times cause they apparently can get very territorial and those beaks hurt.
    -Yar

1.0.0 Albino Black Rat snake(Wafer)
    0.0.1 California King snake(Oreo)
    0.0.1 African Housesnake(Cupcake)
    0.0.1 Honduran Milk snake(Blackjack)
    0.0.2 Normal BP(Petey; Twix)
    0.0.1 Yellow Rat Snake(Dijon)
    0.0.1 Madagascar Speckled Hognose(Granola)[RIP]
    1.0.0 Albino Nelson's Milk snake(Candy Cane)
    1.0.0 Lesser BP(Creme Brulee)
    1.0.0 Mojo BP(Brownie)
    0.1.0 Black Motley Corn snake(Anisette)
    0.0.1 Pueblan Milk snake[Fostering, Taco Grande]
    0.1.0 West African Mud Turtle(Bulger)
    0.2.0 Red Eared Slider(Squirtle, Turtwig)
    1.0.0 Rat Terrorier(Ranger)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pyrate81 For This Useful Post:

MSG-KB (08-02-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrate81 View Post
    @Valentine Pirate and Anatopism:

Are Toucans expensive where you are? There was one at a pet store near me that was priced at $18k. Was never bought so it became a store pet and eventually went home with one of the managers when it hit like 20 yrs old or something.

Totally cool bird, I used to interact with it through the cage bars and it seemed to like me and they did give it it's own free time out of the cage. Although, they were weary of it being out during high volume times cause they apparently can get very territorial and those beaks hurt.
    I haven't ever seen any locally, I only found out about keeping toucans as pets from a magazine... maybe Bird Talk?

BPnet Veteran Jabberwocky Dragons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Kookaburras are really neat birds. Have you given them any thought? They have the perfect diet for ball python keeper too.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jabberwocky Dragons For This Useful Post:

MSG-KB (09-05-2012)

BPnet Senior Member CD CONSTRICTORS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 658 Posts
    I've owned quite a few birds over the years and fostered even more. I volunteered for Florida Parrot Rescue for a few years and was exposed to many types of birds.

Bond with more than one person??... that, generally speaking, rules out a handful of birds.... Large Macaws and Cockatoo's.

I have a few personal favorites that may work for you (choices based differently if you have young kids):

Mini- Macaws... Severe, Illigers (most pretty) and Hahn's. They are sweethearts, but if you want a talker, look elsewhere. My Illiger's would call the dog and said a few phrases just as my Severe did, but they don't develop an extensive vocabulary. Beautiful buggers! Good with kids- even with a nip, you're probably just breaking the skin. Great for adults!!

Amazons- These are my specialty. I have a Blue Front that is 3yo, speaks very well and has a large vocabulary. I also have a Yellow Nape who is 16yo. He will talk your ear off. I just went on vacation for a week and boarded him at my local shop. They had a blast with him. They said he was funny and talked up a storm. I fostered mostly all Amazons when I was with the rescue. They were all given up around puberty... it happens- 6-12yo Amazons just get nasty. One day they're your best friend and all of a sudden they're like a lion!! Most all make it through with patience, but Amazons are very well known for their volatile temperment. They will let you know when they want to play and when they don't. Just listen to their body signals and you'll be fine. They all love showers!! I have a perch built into my shower and take my boys in fairly often. Not so great for young kids- my Yellow Nape will cut you to the bone. My Blue Front could easily give you a few stitches. I've experienced neither with them, but I read them very well, and know when to leave them alone.

I never personally cared for smaller birds like conures. They can be screamers... Suns, Jenandy's and Nanday's all!! They aren't that great of talkers compared to Amazons either. Good for a family if you can stand the screaming

Macaws and Cockatoo's tend to pick one member of the family as their "mate". Watch out if you are not selected!! For your bonding issue, I would leave these birds out of your selection, because they will pick a favorite eventually.

A Grey is a good choice. They are real clumsy for a few years and don't start talking as early as Amazons, but are most well known for their excellent vocabulary as they grow older... 3-4 years. Grey's also create the most dander of any breed of birds, so be prepared to sweep, vacuum or mop a lot around their cage. They don't particularly like showers and this is part of the problem.

They all have their place in a proper home. You have to select the one that fits your needs the best. I vote African Grey or Mini-macaw.... any variety, but Severe, Illigers, Hahns- in that order personally.
    Last edited by CD CONSTRICTORS; 09-14-2012 at 06:49 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CD CONSTRICTORS For This Useful Post:

MSG-KB (09-19-2012)

BPnet Senior Member CD CONSTRICTORS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 658 Posts
    Severe Macaw- yes... eating a nuclear hot chicken wing, and trying to get me to leave him alone under my blanket!!

Yellow Nape- same with him...

Three of us at an Art Festival in Gainesville... outside all day

My Blue Front after a shower...

The boys getting some rays...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CD CONSTRICTORS For This Useful Post:

MSG-KB (09-19-2012)

Thanks

If she has always wanted a Grey or a Cockatoo... I would stick with that theory mostly....
    My favorite cockatoo is Major Mitchells beautiful and intelligent very cuddly birds cockatoos are, but many have separation anxiety and require a lot of attention....

I have an congo grey right now great bird talks alot a bit stubborn at times which kinda fits as it is my wifes bird.... if you go grey get a Congo just my opinion

The only other bird I would consider just based on your affection for African greys are Eclectus, they are great talkers (supposedly second behind greys) they are beautiful and affectionate (so affectionate that many people I have spoke to say their breeder eclectus parrots are as calm as hand feds not many birds you can say that about)

what ever you get good luck
    JUSTIN MITCHELL
    PRIMAL SCREAM REPTILES

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jjmitchell For This Useful Post:

MSG-KB (09-19-2012)

Thanks

Conures are very very noisy for their size well the aratinga species are. The pyrrhura species are somewhat quieter. Does your wife work? Cockatoos are love sponges and need A LOT OF ATTENTION or else they may develop bad habits (feather picking, screaming). I would love to have a African Gray. They are considered the smartest of the parrot species. If you are looking for a big bird in a small package look into Caiques. Their antics are absolutely adoarble not to mention they are pretty too. Someone mentioned a Senegal. I raised these for years. They are awesome little birds and make hardly any noise at all. You listed many breeds in the poll and it would be impossible for me to choose. Good luck making your decision

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts
    I have met a few amazons that I liked. We have a peach front conure. Got her for my daughter, (Dad wanted nothing to do with her), and the bird has decided that she is Daddy's bird. Kinda funny, actually. She wants nothing to do with my daughter or myself. And yes, she is very loud. She knows what time my husband gets up in the morning, and starts screaming for him. Vocabulary wise, she only has a handful of words, and a few noises she imitates.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12