Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,893

1 members and 2,892 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Man I tought I could at least avoid this for a little while but these guys are sooooo sensitive. I got my wife convinced to watch Plissken eat, so I warmed up a thoughed mouse, took out the water bowl and one of the hides(the one on the cool side wich he rarely uses, I turned the lights in the room up a little so she could see, put the mouse in with a pair of tongs and nothin.

So I tried wiggling the mose a tiny bit wich seemed to make him tense up....nothin.

So I took the mouse out and tried warming it up a little more, put it back in , nothin. He snifffed it forever but eventualy just crawled over it.
    Oh well I guess I shoulda been expecting this. :cry:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Many snakes don't like to eat while being watched. I can't get Caesar to eat if there is too much light in the room and if he thinks I'm anywhere close. (Of course, right now I can't get him to eat at all...but that's a whole 'nuther thread somewhere else!) Anyhow...try giving him a lot more privacy and maybe he'll go for it?
    -- Judy

BPnet Veteran ballpythonandragon's Avatar
    Thanks

Shedding Question

hello i also tried that to, mine ate a thawed rat one time then he wont eat another for me. Sometimes he wont even eat his live rats. I really want to get him to eat thawed can anyone help me please. thanks Aaron
    don't have any reptiles apartment says no.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Yep you were right Judy (again something I shoud have figured out :wink once I turned the lights out and gave him some solo time he ate like a champ. Thanx for that helpful hint.

In fact I think he was still hungry after he ate, the prey item disapeared in him no sign of it anywhere in him and he was out cruising as if looking for more food as aposed to checking the top out for ways out. I wonder if small rats are in order, I just measured him 2 days ago and hes 21 inches.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Always glad to help!
    Unfortunately, I don't have enough personal experience with bp's to suggest specific feeding sizes. I'm sure someone else will chime in, though.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Paul, the prey item should be big enough to leave a noticeable lump in Plissken's belly but small enough that he can swallow it. At 21" an adult mouse ought to fit the bill. The feeding response doesn't typically shut down immediately after they eat, though, and mine will all cruise after eating but generally refuse a second prey item. Glad you got him to eat!

Aaron, we might be able to help, but a little more info would be useful. How old is your bp, how long have you had him, how often does he normally eat, what size prey does he normally eat, etc.?
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanks Marla for the info, I guess what I translated as "gimme more"
    is simply his feeding response winding down slowly.

Thanks
    Most likely that is correct. However, you can certainly try feeding two prey items to see what he does. He may take a second one from you and it shouldn't hurt to try (though I'd definitely wait a couple of days longer than normal before feeding again if he does).
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!