Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,961

1 members and 2,960 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Cages

Banned
    Thanks

Measurements

Finally got around to starting the new cages. The will be 39x22x22 inches, all for a single ball python each. They are made from extremely cheap plywood, about 16$ a sheet. A trip to home depot and back cost me 85$ or so total for this cage. This includes plywood, 1x2's for support and other assorted pieces of wood, a gallon of sealer, paint brushes, sandpaper, and some screws. This doesn't include the plexu glass which would cost a person a lot. If a person were to build these two cages from scratch it'd cost 125-135$ but thats only about 65$ per cage.

I'm trying to decide whether I should vent it or not..

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    use tag board in the back. then ya dont have to worry about vents. just a suggestion. might cost ya a little more but you should be able to get two cages worth off of one sheet. home depot and lowes didnt have plexiglass think enough for me. i ended up ordering actual glass 1/4" thick.
    have fun building your cages, and dont forget to take pics for us!

Banned
    Thanks
    I already have my vents. They are circular and plastic. Bout 3 inches in diameter. This protects them from the harsh changes here. Plexi here is about 25$ for a 2x4 sheet 1/3" thick. Real easy to cut as well, and cheap to replace if scratched.

I'll try and get pics, but I lost my digi cam installation disk.

Banned
    Thanks
    Ok, so far I've got all the pieces of the cage together. I got two big boxes. And for a bp cage, they are big

I painted the sides of the boards facing the inside with a white enamel to protect against moisture. One coat would supposedly suffice, but I always do two. The outside gets one coat so it looks nice The vent holes are cut, and I need to patch up some areas with the paint to make the inside spiffy.

The heat sources, lamps, are in place and ready to go. After patching with paint I need to add a few minor supports here and there, 20 mins worth of work. Then I need to build the slots for the sliding glass. Should be real easy. Once the glass is in place they can move in. It's really easy to build cages when you've done a couple. These looks real nice and should last a good time. I like em, I'll snap pics when done and write a small DIY with graphics. This is such a simple cage, but roomy.

I made it with cheap plywood, heck for two cages worth of wood it cost 30$! And maybe when done the amount of time spent building will be 5 hours.

It'll also take a week more for me to get the plexi cut up, so the cage paint should try nice and hard. And it should all be vented and no fumes. I think they'll love it

Banned
    Thanks
    The cages were finished last night. Everything is done except adding in the glass. I just gotta add the bulbs, decor, and glass. Oh, and the python.

Thanks

I'm excited ...

Cool! I hope you can get your software installed so you can show us pics.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Banned
    Thanks
    I might get a pic cd made instead.