Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,715

1 members and 2,714 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

Thread: feild herping

Thanks
    My girlfriend and I are going out feild herping for the first time this weekend!
    I'm stoked!
    Planning on going to Sqaw Peak, or maybe north up Cave Creek Rd. Although I'm not planning on takin' any home, I really don't know what to expect but it should be a blast! Anyone have any input?
    Thanks

P.S.
    Is there thought of making a feid herping forum in the future?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Cool stuff, Crowley. You should have lots of fun! Although, it is too early to see a TON of stuff, you may find a wandering kingsnake here or there (Which is still COOL!). Anyway, I noticed you joined the AHA forum, I didn't even realize you lived around here. :lol:

Those are some good places; me and my fiance go field herping all the time in the spring/summer. Last year we found 18 snakes in one night! But most the time, the numbers average 5-10 a night. You just have to know where to go.

Have fun, good luck, and PLEASE tell me how it goes.
    Jennifer

OH yeah, one more thing, are you going hiking or road cruising? Either way, have you dealt with rattlesnakes in the past? Please make sure that if you haven't, and you come across one, just take pics and leave it there. Otherwise, make sure you have a hook or tongs, flashlight, bucket, pillow cases, rubbermaids, water, etc... Chances that you find a rattlesnake before anything else are HIGH..So please, be careful.

Thanks
    No experience with rattlers yet.
    We plan on going hiking more so than cruising. I'm honestly probually not going to mess a hole lot with the rattlers, dont want to get bit!!!
    It would be sweet to find one and take oictures tho! I have a good rock flipper that I made to use out there, but I dont have any snake tongs yet.
    Not sure if I'm gonna take any pillow cases this time, I dont have a permit, from what I've been reading AZ G&F have strict rules!
    I'll let you know how it goes.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Oh yeah, if you don't have a permit, just "go hiking" and take pictures.

Let us know how it goes (or at lewast me).

Jennifer

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    My friend down here in Tucson who has the degree in biology and does a LOT of field herping makes a practice of never handling rattlers with his hands. With all his experience, he still uses a hook or tongs. As he puts it, the more times you take a chance with one, the more likely you are to get nailed. No sense in taking chances that you don't need to take.
    We do not quit playing because we grow old; we grow old because we quit playing.