Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,974

1 members and 2,973 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Living together

Bored and curious...

Quote Originally Posted by RPlank
    Marcus, I have seen people sucessfully keep snakes together with no problems. Boids are not territorial, and typically not cannibalistic. They certainly are not social creatures, however, and are not lacking any companionship. Having said that, and visited you in your home, I am confident that if you wanted to try it, it would probably work. It just takes more diligence on the part of the keeper. I know how much you love all your babies, and how much time you spend with them, so I bet you could make it work, if you wanted.

Yeah....he *could* do it, but why? What would be the reason behind it? There is no good reason to do it unless you are attempting to breed.

Thanks
    Keeping snakes in separate enclosures is essential to good record keeping, and good record keeping is something a lot of keepers tend to overlook, even though it can make a world of difference in determining problems/solutions if something goes wrong. Keeping 2 animals in the same enclosure will cross-contaminate them, there's no way around it. Sharing a water bowl is a huge source of pathogen transfer between two animals. Seems like this wouldn't be a problem for 2 healthy snakes, but there's always the chance that something could go wrong with one & pass it on to the other, whether internal/external parasites, a disease of some sort, or otherwise.

I guess I've just never been a big advocate of keeping snakes together...I can't see the benefits of saving space over the possible detrimental effects of cross-contamination, but maybe I'm just a clean freak that way.

K
    Kara L. Norris
    The Blood Cell - BloodPythons.com
    Selectively-bred bloods & short-tailed pythons
    Quality is our only filter.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    you can save space by putting them together...thats an advantage to you, but now look at the disadvantages to your snakes,which have been pointed out before. if its a mature male and and immature female, the female may show aggresion to the male (as i read in will's post about peanut being a female). two males, during breeding season, might result in them "battling". though they wouldnt directly hurt eachother, it would kind of send the other snake into depression. it might go off feed and it might not breed that season.
    well anyways... you could always TRY it. if it doesnt work out, seperate them again. they probably do prefer to be alone.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    One of the biggest problem with allowing your snakes to cohabitate in a shared enclosure is the risk of activists. Praying Mantis, especially, have been known to stage rather vocal protests over the moral implications of snakes co-mingling outside the bounds of Scaly Matrimony. When the pairings are same sex, the outrage is even more pronounced.

Try as we might to explain to these activists that the housing arrangements are strictly platonic, they invariably dig up the instances where co-habitating snakes have succumbed to the temptation to intertwine their bodies in conjugal ways, resulting in baby snakes born out of wedlock. They insist that such offspring end up on public assistance and are far more likely to be biters and escapees, and no amount of documented data will dissuade them from their bias against these innocent snakes.

If you have snakes sharing living quarters, it is often best to adopt the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy when it comes to discussing the housing arrangements. Let the listeners assume that each snake has its own private enclosure, where they live a happy existence in celibate bliss. It keeps things much more peaceful all around.

(This tongue-in-cheek post brought to you by the Scarlet Letter 'A', and the not so lonely number '2')
    We do not quit playing because we grow old; we grow old because we quit playing.

Thanks
    OMG! That was great Hoomi! :lol:
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hoomi....that's pure classic!
    -- Judy

Thanks
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!! Too true!!!! :lol: :lol:
    Randy

"I think it might be helpful for everyone to remember that the purpose of a forum like this is to EXCHANGE IDEAS, not dictate what is right or wrong or good or bad. If you disagree with what someone else is suggesting, you can say so without being argumentative or completely slamming the guy (or girl)." - Smynx

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I personally just don't think the possible problems are worth the risk. Although there are some signs of a snake being stressed, it's possible that snakes kept together can be stressed but not show it - at least right away. The idea of losing one snake is bad enough - but two! Or even 2 vet bills....ugh! Also, I see how record keeping could be a bit difficult. How would you know who deficated when you found feces? To me, it's just a great excuse to have fun planning a new setup!

speaking of the social lives of snakes.....anyone read this:

Rattlesnakes social?
    http://animal.discovery.com/news/bri...209/snake.html
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    Yup, read it from your link on the other forum. Very interesting, but not surprising with rattlers.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    Hehe - like to hear more as our two new ones came together and I am hesitant to break them up just yet. We DO plan on breeding them but the required maturity is a ways off yet. Does planned breeding lend creedence more to one approach or they other? WIll they be more likely to breed if they have been seperated until that time? Less likely?

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast