Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,504

1 members and 2,503 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Gerbils

Banned
    Thanks
    These are amazing, I finally got to trying them and was amazed. Monty, as you might now, has been going on a winter fast since August, and only eaten once since then. So today I brought home a gerbil to attempt feeding yet again.

For those of you who don't know. Ball pythons eat gerbils in the wild and when they go off feed people usually try gerbils because they love them. I thought this was only a trick for WC bp's, which Monty isn't, but it work miracles for CB too.

So anyhoo, Monty hadn't shown any interest in any food at all. I put the gerbil in and he went into instant hunt mode. He made about 10 strikes, but for some screwd up reason couldn't nab it. The gerbil was quick, and Monty hates quick food. BTW, I did feed live because thats all he was in the mood for. So after half an hour he's still stalking it and in strike mode. I guess his instincts turned on, but he kept changing his mind and turning around. It was awsome, there is no doubt that if I try again in two weeks he'll eat. He'll have his new cage all ready.

So after waiting for him to stop hunting and eat I just figured I'd feed it to Goldy. Who also happened to have started being picky. She was in my hand, and being placed in the cage when she struck and constricted. She wouldn't touch a mouse, but couldn't wait for a gerbil.

I also like them more because they are twice the size of mice. So they can substitute them for feedings. And since mice are no good for adults, a couple gerbils would be. They're biggerand bp's LOVE them. I don't want to get Goldy addicted though, cause she might insist on not switching to rats. But it doesn't matter, I'd just scent a rat anyway. Gerbils are freaking gold.

But they're expensive, like 6.00$ for one. So I'm gonna talk to the owner of our local ma and pa pet shop about selling them to me at feeder price, abou 2.50. I figure for him, since I'd be buying 5 a week, he'd do it. If not I might need to breed.

So, got a picky eater? Try gerbils!

Banned
    Thanks
    Oh, these are gerbils. Real cute, but vicous.

Thanks
    So, what's better for the BP? A gerbil or a rat?

And why?
    Chance Favors the Prepared Mind

http://www.four-feathers-photography.com

Banned
    Thanks
    Well, in terms of nutrition I have no idea. I'd say they are equal, it's all about the food fed to them.

Rats are better because they are cheaper and bigger.

But if gerbils work, who cares.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BallKingdom
    He made about 10 strikes, but for some screwd up reason couldn't nab it.....I guess his instincts turned on, but he kept changing his mind and turning around.
    Sounds more like defensive behavior than feeding behavior. I have never seen a BP miss a feeding strike more than once.
    Randy

"I think it might be helpful for everyone to remember that the purpose of a forum like this is to EXCHANGE IDEAS, not dictate what is right or wrong or good or bad. If you disagree with what someone else is suggesting, you can say so without being argumentative or completely slamming the guy (or girl)." - Smynx

Banned
    Thanks
    Very well could have been. I at first thought so, but after watching him he was on the prowl. The couple strikes I saw him make were only failed because the gerbil hopped away at the exact second he struck. They're real freaking fast, and Monty does poorly with fast food.

Anyhoo, he was going after the gerbil and stalking it. It seemed he was on the offense.

Thanks
    I did some reading on gerbils for breeding purposes. I decided to go with rats as you can pretty much throw them in a nice large cage and they pretty much breed effortlessly. Large litters (9 to 20) that can be mindlessly inbred if the breeder chooses. I bought my first rat for breeding already pregnant. Have one male (keeper) and one female (dead in freezer) left from mid january birth. Bought one more preg. female the other day and now have a litter of 9 (one didn't make it). 2 females and a male should give me a litter every two months or so (roughly, lol) and my bp gets a variety of pinkies, hoppers, and late juevies.
    Gerbils from what I gather would be cool, but there seems to be a lot of seperation of sexes required, multiple tanks, fighting, blah blah blah
    The rats are funny, have loads of personality, and will trust and build a relationship with you right up until you smack it and turn it into food!
    As for mindless breeding, there of course are issues. Then again they're FOOD so do you care? Myself, no matter how hard I try I must always complicate things and apply science even if not needed, so my breeding is regulated and controlled. But the nice thing is if you don't want to, you don't have to so IMO rats are the way to go.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh yeah...those gerbils look viscious! I've had too many pet gerbils...it'd be hard for me to feed them to some other animal. And if rats are as personable as you say, I'd probably get too attached to those, too. I'll most likely have to stick to buying frozen feeders in bulk.......I'm such a wuss! LOL
    -- Judy