Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,153

1 members and 3,152 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Questions

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can't imagine actually intentionally bringing any sort of spider into the house...and yet, I can't help wondering about them.........

How long do they usually live?
    Do you typically buy them as babies? What would you feed a baby tarantula?
    What sorts of substrates do you use for them?
    How much of their behavior do you get to observe? Are they very active?

I do realize the answers to these questions probably vary by species...but just general answers (if possible) will satisfy me for now. I may get more curious about specific species though...

Oh...and one more for Randy, who said he doesn't want to handle them, but likes to keep them:
    How do you clean out their cage and take care of them without handling them?

Thanks for edumicating me!
    -- Judy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Female tarantulas can live to about 25 years. Male usually only live about a year after the sexually mature. wehn you get a baby it is a risk as to whether it will be male or female. you feed a baby very small crickets and mealworms. for a substrate i use peat moss. if it is a terrestrial/burrowing species you want the moss to be deep. but it is arboreal then you dont need much moss. only enought to keep up humidity. i have yet to see my tarantula out and about outside of its burrow. luckily i do get to see it because the burrow follows the walls of the container. i can just get a flashlight and see that it is in there. if it decided to burrow in the middle and didnt go all thew way down to the bottome...id never see it. with burrowing species, you could also just put them on bark and give them some hides to act as their burrow. i dont like that idea as much though. its not as natural.
    i would suggest reading a few general tarantula care sheets. even if you dont actually plan to get one, they will teach you some interesting stuff.

Thanks
    Hi Judy,
    here is a link to a great informational site:
    http://www.atshq.org/index.shtml
    Just click on "basic tarantula care sheets"
    They are an interesting arachnid to keep
    Thanks
    rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

Thanks
    Judy, as far as cleaning and feeding, so far he much prefers to hide instead of confronting me, so I make sure he looks nice and comfy in his burrow before I open the lid. I keep a cup handy to put down over him in case he makes a break for it. (Upside down, of course!)
    Randy

"I think it might be helpful for everyone to remember that the purpose of a forum like this is to EXCHANGE IDEAS, not dictate what is right or wrong or good or bad. If you disagree with what someone else is suggesting, you can say so without being argumentative or completely slamming the guy (or girl)." - Smynx

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

a little venting..

heres a question to add to the thread....what is the reason why you should only use meal worms in moderation? are they bad (or just not AS good) for tarantulas? ive given my little tarantula two small meal worms per feeding. (well actually i gave three the first time but it only ate half of the third one and dropped it off outside the burrow). im getting crickets tommorow because the caresheets say mealworms should be used in moderation. but why?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    i think i may have found an answer to my own question.
    mealworms have more fat and less protein then crickets. but the diet a tarantula needs requires more protein, which makes mealworms unsuitable for a staple in a tarantula diet.
    hopefully someone else has something to add
    p.s. i got the info here: http://www.chameleonnews.com/year200...nutrition.html

Banned
    Thanks
    This is our most popular non-bp forum...

I definitely need to make this place a better hang-out community for you invert freaks

After I get the current work on my plate finished I'll get some invert caresheets. And link to this forum from the homepage.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hey thanks ya'll! I read some care sheets. Truly fascinating critters....*she says with a slight shiver*
    -- Judy