Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,690

1 members and 2,689 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Has anyone tried these? Are they really good for your mouse eating herp.
    Thanks,
    Damien
    0.1 2001 Ball Python 1200 grams.
    1.0 1994 Ball Python 3800 Grams.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    what is it?
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Thanks
    If it is what I think it is, it is something you feed to the mice, not the herp. And- if I am right about it being what I think it is... it is an expensive product that really dont matter if you feed the mice right.

Anyone else know what this stuff is?
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks
    actually, itsa a supplement that is not really any good for the mice themselves, for the snake. So the mouse really aren't healthy after giving this to them. I breed my own mice and I can tell you all you have to feed the mice is pure mice food. When my mice are pregnant I will give them whole unsalted peanuts and triple the sunflower seeds in my mix of food i make. Just make sure they get lots of seeds and peanuts. This will keep your mice very nutritious for the snake. It also keeps the mothers from dying while feeding there big litters. When I first started breeding I had two females pregnant together. One had a litter of 2 and the other had a litter of 14. They ended up in the same nest and only the first mother wsa feeding them. I wasn't feeding them right at the time and the mother of 2 could not handle feeding 16 young. So i researched more. Just feed them PLENTY of food and water...and lots of peanuts and sunflower seeds (Unsalted).
    0.1 Regular Ball Python (Xibalba)
    1.0 American Pitbull Terrier (Gandhi)
    0.1 German Shepherd (Bailey)
    1.1 Mixed Rescue Cats (Horus and Manji)

"Walmart is the scum of this great country of ours and is spreading like an infection. Death To Walmart and every corporation like them..."

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    So how hard is it to raise your own mice do the benefits outweigh the costs. And now do you know which one gets eaten first. I have considered doing this myself but i have lots of questions.
    Thanks,
    Damien

Thanks
    ok ask away my friend...its not necessarily hard. It takes a while to get used to. You cannot keep different aged mice in same cage cause they will fight. So scenario....you have two tanks. You put three females in one and a male. The three females get pregnant. You put two in one, the other female in a another, and seperate the male. The two females have young in one and the other female has young in the other. The mice grow and after three weeks get weened off the mother. Now these mice must be put in a fourth cage. And if the mice are born at different intervals then those three litters must be seperated. Then the four adults can be put back in one to mate again. Now, you must now realize that after 4 weeks the males of the ones are ready to mate but the mice are way to young to carry, so you must go in and seperate males from females from the new litters as soon as the males drop (testicles on mice hang way out there back side). So that adds more cages. So now if you seperated soon enough you will be good. If not you must seperate the new pregnant mothers into 6 and 7 cage. I keep about that amoutn 7 cages. That is for the extreme. Cause you have to remember agfter about 5 weeks you can now kill the new litters, because they are adults now, vaccuseal them, and freeze. And start the whole process over. I never use new mice for mothers or Fathers. I have used one mouse for a father and the same three mice as mothers. Only because a mothers first litter is overwhelming on her and it takes a few times for her to get used to. So, i guess what i am sayign is yes it is complicated and can be frustrating, but if you take a log of what your doing it is simple. With cost, you pay for food, thats it. A LOT OF FOOD. And pine, but it is cheap. Starting cost might get you but after that its gravey, mice production is quick. Mice have a germ period of only three weeks.... Any more questions

"Walmart is the scum of this great country of ours and is spreading like an infection. Death To Walmart and every corporation like them..."

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    What size cages do you keep and what type are they.
    Thanks,
    Damien

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    you can put 4 breeding mice in a ten gallon cage. 1 male and 3 females. once they have babies, you have to serperate them into males and females. hopefully you will feed them off beore the males start fighting. females can live socially better then males. sometimes brothers that grow up in one cage wont fight, but i dont think that happens often. they get into bloody fights, its not pretty. it happened to me with rats. if you search on google you can find a few caresheets that should answer alot of your questions. if you breed feeders, i would suggest rats over mice. rats dont smell to bad at all as long as you clean the cage enough. ive had mice for a few hours and my whole room smells. also you will need you BP to eat rats when its an adult so why not start now. im only breeding mice a few times. kinda just for the heck of it, even though that sounds stupid. i know my mom will make me stop, probably before i even get a second litter because of the stench. lol.

Thanks
    Actually, 4 mice will fit fine in even smaller than a 10 gallon. I use plastic 6.5 gallons for all my mice, young and old. If its a big litter of 15 or more i will put in a 10 gallon. Just the litters until they are old enought to take out and freeze. He is right tho, care sheets are available. I recomend yahoo search over google any day.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thats straight up stupid...

If you're going to enhance your herps food feed pre-killed and directly inject it. There needs to be a product full of some good nutrients that you just get a syringe and fill the mousy up. It's make fasts less stressful too. Knowing your bp ate really well before going on the fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast