Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,221

1 members and 3,220 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: A few pics of my tarantula...

I was wondering about everyone's thoughts on the difference between the laying of pythons eggs and the live birth of boas. Would boas or pythons be easier for a new breeder to successfully accomplish? Thanks in advance for replies.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    lol, anybody?
    -Will

Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I don't have a lot of experience with either and back when I bred boas 10 years ago it was more just luck (but probably a little of that now with ball pythons too). I've heard that maybe the boas might be a little harder to get to breed. Mine seemed to always breed in the wrong season and then have lots of slugs (perhaps because I wasn't cooling the males when they bred in the summer). I've had python eggs that didn't hatch or had deformed babies in them and also boa sluggs and stillborns so I'm thinking neither is a sure thing but if you follow the latest advise from the experts your odds are pretty good for success with either.

Don't be afraid to try hatching python eggs, it's really not that hard. I've messed up and kept them too wet and perhaps had problems related to temperature swings but I think many people have never had an incubation problem. Get or build the best incubator you can afford (I hear a walk in room is ideal) and use the best proportional thermostat you can justify buying but then again plenty have been hatched in just a hobovator or even with maternal incubation so you don't have to go all out to have success.

If you do decide to try both make darn sure you don’t have any mites or ticks in your collection to possibly transfer IBD from boas to pythons.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    thanks for the reply randy, very informing.
    -Will

Thanks
    Hi everybody I'm back, I moved to a new house and was working on turning the garage into a snake room. Anyways, to my experience boa constrictors are easier to breed than pythons.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    welcome back danny, and thanks for your input.
    -Will