Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,945

2 members and 1,943 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Astro Turf

Thanks
    Astro turf is my new favorite thing in the whole entire world! I discovered it last week. I had been using Forest Bed but it was awfully dusty no matter how much I misted, and was generall making everything dirty, including my floor. I invested in $7 of astro turf (which was enough to make 4 peices that fit a 40 breeder) last weekend and it's been the best thing ever! I also re-discovered contact paper, which I used to cover three sides and part of the top of the tank, just to make it look a little better and hold some humidity. I hate glass tanks and am looking forward to hopefully building a custom cage this summer. Oh yeah, I also found a really really neat basking log thing, which used to be in my sister's fish tank about ten years ago, in my basement, of all places!

The pic is kind of crappy but you get the general idea, looks way better in person though, lol

-Lindsay

0.1 ball python - 1.1 leopard geckos

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    No kidding Lindsay i have been using it for a while and i had the great idea of using that coconut stuff, you know the brick. So i decided to try the stuff out well after soaking it for about 30 minutes it expanded to many times its original size. Well this stuff sucks i should have never bought it i wated 7 bux on this. It had the consistency of dirt and is very messy my BPs treaded all through this stuff and it was only in the enclosure for about 12 hours and there was a bunch in their water so i cleaned it out. Astro turf is the best thing since sliced bread.
    Thanks,
    Damien
    0.1 2001 Ball Python 1200 grams.
    1.0 1994 Ball Python 3800 Grams.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    wooooaaaaaaooooo!!!
    that is one cool setup you got there invadertoast. I have to agree with you aout the astro turf that is the best thing ever!!
    Jesús

Banned
    Thanks
    I use nothing but astro turf. Works nicely and can be washed very easily. Make sure you burn all the edges though.

Thanks
    I'm guessing you guys all live in the south, because up here in Toronto, Canada I would have a hell of a time keeping humidity in the tank with astro turf. I have a heck of a time keeping the humidity high enough with cypress!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    i use newspaper. ghetto astroturf.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Thanks
    I'm in Mass so I'm not really that south, lol. I stuck a heating pad I found in someone's trash (it looks new, it was with a bunch of other new looking stuff) under the water dish and it's helped some. I tried newspaper but I'm too girly to not have something pretty... I mean Eleanor is girly... she likes it to be pretty... yeah...
    -Lindsay

0.1 ball python - 1.1 leopard geckos

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

royal

ya wizill the ghetto astro turf is the best
    i use it in all my rubbermaid containers
    you can't beat the price and it absorbes way better than the fancy bel-air astro turf
    Girlfriend: Your room smells like reptile!!!
    Me: Are you saying my balls smell??

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I also use "ghetto astro turf". I like the fact that when one of the snakes dirties up the enclosure, all I have to do is reach in, crumple up the paper, toss it, and lay down a fresh layer. Anything really disgusting just goes out with the trash, instead of needing to be washed out of a reusable substrate.
    We do not quit playing because we grow old; we grow old because we quit playing.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    thats exactly why i love the stuff
    no fuss no muss!
    Girlfriend: Your room smells like reptile!!!
    Me: Are you saying my balls smell??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast