Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,106

1 members and 3,105 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks
    My bp is young not sure when he was born but he was 21" in Dec when I purchased him. He is 23" now.
    Anyway he spends 90% of his time in his hide.
    I want to get him use to me handling him and letting him explore new sites in the house but if I wait for him to be out and about in his cage it's like never.
    He will come out when he is hungry usually after about 7-10days after his last meal.
    Should I get him out of his hide to handle and feed or just wait until he is out to attempt???
    I dont want to stress him but I do want him to get use to me and my son.
    He will ball up at first when I get him but once out he will loosen up and want ot explore
    Let me know what and how you handle this
    I want him to grow up to be a happy safe feeling bp
    Thanks

Thanks

Should I disturb to handle

I don't really think it matters if he is in his hide or not. I take hydra out of her hide to handle her. You should handle her at least once a day to build up trust with your new companion. Not just to feed her, because she will begin to think when you take her out you are taking her out to feed. Bp's love to hide, its what they do best. LOL. But anyway, take him out at least once a day (except after he feeds, bt I am sure you know the 24 hour rule.)
    0.1 Regular Ball Python (Xibalba)
    1.0 American Pitbull Terrier (Gandhi)
    0.1 German Shepherd (Bailey)
    1.1 Mixed Rescue Cats (Horus and Manji)

"Walmart is the scum of this great country of ours and is spreading like an infection. Death To Walmart and every corporation like them..."

Thanks
    thanks I appreciate the info. I just didn't want to do anything that would be harmful to him.
    ~ Johanna ~ aka Jody

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be measured by the way it's animals are treated"
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi~

Thanks
    Me and Tati take our bp out of the hide all the time. She's in there most of the time it seems anyway. I think it's good to get the bp used to getting taken out from the hide while its young anyway, so its not a suprise once its big.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    interestingly enough, one of my bp's will not let me pick him up while hes cruisng around his cage at night. but if i do pck him up at that time, he calms down once hes out of the cage. he only really lets me pick him up if i take him out of his hide. anyways, yes it is fine to take them out of the hide, just as freakoverdose and nitsuj said.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    it is fine
    but for the first while only take him out for short periods of time and put him back
    try and limit it to about 10 mins for the first 2 weeks then gradually increase the time
    soon enough you will be able to take it out for as long as you want
    my favorite BP pimpette i keep out for hours at a time and she doens't like going back into her cage
    Girlfriend: Your room smells like reptile!!!
    Me: Are you saying my balls smell??

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    My Apok dont B.S around. Take him out of his hide when he is resting and he will chomp you. First he hisses loudly and if I am stupid enough ( which I was at first ) to not take the hint he will lash out and nail me.I have gotten the message by now - all my other BPs are like fat stuffed cuddle toys but this guy is a SNAKE and he dont let you forget it.

EyeLashViper