Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,893

3 members and 2,890 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Hello all you Python lovers!!!
    Well, I finally completely overhauled my Ball Python enclosures...I now have them in a 40 gallon tank that is the perfect size for my precious snakes..I really went gung-ho and spent about $250.00 on a totally new setup!!!! my main question for today though is about ceramic heat emitters. I am using one now in their new enclosure but I am a tad disapointed with it.It is a 150 watt unit that is supposed to be able to raise the ambient air temp 15-20 degrees over my normal room temp but to be honest it doesnt seem like it is putting out that much heat.I am having trouble maintaining 85 degrees in the middle of my tank - I prefer to keep the hot zone of my enclosure at about 90 degrees...maybe the emitter IS working and I am just not familiar with it? I would appreciate any tips on this as I am not used to these pieces of equipment - I DO think they are a superior concept to the old spot heating bulbs that I was using in the past. I have gone high tech..
    :wink:
    EyeLashViper

Thanks
    I have a 40g tank too, and I use the same heat emitter. Try moving it closer to the top of the tank if you dont have it there now. If so, use plastic on the top of the screen and cover most of it, leaving a place for the emitter to sit/be close to without melting plastic.. that should hold your heat better. Also, I use human heating pads too, the heat emitter will not do it on its own, you have to have something to heat from the bottom too. Hope this helps.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanks Jeanne...
    a human heating pad on the bottom? I can do that.I guess I should just put under their hot spot where they like to congregate?

EyeLashViper

Thanks
    Yeah, under the tank.. on the hot side. Between that and the emitter, it gets the job done. Let me know if that does not help, I will help figure something out if no one else has ideas.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks
    I also have a 40gal tank that is 36" by 18". I purchased a heat pad from Wal-Mart and I would recommend it for a 40gal tank. The heat pad is made by "Sunbeam". It's called the moist/dry heating pad and it’s the king size version which dimensions are 12" by 23". It was about $24.00 (Canadian), which would be about $17 (US). It has a low/med/high heat setting switch, which I have on medium right now and its working beautifully. I would definitely recommend it for any tank over 30gal.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I also have the same "human" heat pad and I agree with jeanne and nitsuj they work great
    they're cheaper than the "reptile" heat pads and have built in rehostats. Once you buy one you will never buy a "reptile heat pad again.
    Girlfriend: Your room smells like reptile!!!
    Me: Are you saying my balls smell??

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help guys and gals...I really appreciate being able to ask newbie questions here without anybody leaping down my throat...I am going out today to purchase a new human being heating pad..LOL...I think it will do the job...

EyeLashViper