Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,265

0 members and 1,265 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Venomous Training.

Hello all, and to hello. Basically I am wanting to train for some hot herps. I have had years of experience with venomous snakes, but its just with docile copperheads out in my backyard. I am wondering what would be the most aggressive colubrid I could purchase to train with? Everything I have read said to practice with a colubrid. Yes I have read about the dangers, and thats a risk I am willing to take. I am wanting to mainly own rattlers, maybe a monocled cobra, not sure if that matter and I do realized that the cobras and the rattlesnakes venom is highly dangerous, and yes I will probably end up dying from this hobby. Thank you all.
    Hi i'm Californiakingsnake
    0.1 Girlfriend (Peachies)
    0.0.1 Columbian redtail boa
    1.0 Albino california kingsnake
    1.1 Leopard gecko
    1.4 normal ball python (1.2 het for albino)
    1.1 pastel ball python
    1.0 Mojave ball python
    1.1 albino
    1.0 pinstripe
    1.0 aussie/beagle mix pup(Fez)
    "more herps will go here eventually as I get them"

Thanks
    I would suggest a mentor. Theres a lot more to HOT keeping then just training with an aggressive non venomous.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Seth702 For This Useful Post:

Anatopism (07-08-2012),Kara (07-08-2012),KMG (07-08-2012),Mft62485 (07-09-2012),The Serpent Merchant (07-10-2012)

Thanks
    I've heard several suggestions for some old world ratsnakes as training snakes. I'd suggest a mangrove catsnake if you can find one. They are in fact mildy venomous, but aren't going to kill you. They are rear fanged, but have massive mouths, and they have no issues making their rear fangs reach skin to lacerate. Sometimes they like to chew. I suggest this snake because they get big/long with a huge striking distance, and there is still an element of danger. They definitely demand your respect The one we fostered/rehabbed had a habit of being relatively lethargic most of the day, but the second you wake them up, or the lights go out, he would become quite nasty and unpredictable. I've spoken to others who have had similar experiences.

Look them up!

Thanks

Re: Venomous Training.

Thanks! As for a mentor, I will pass. I have always wanted to work with venomous snakes for my entire life due to the danger. Id be very proud to own a few snakes like that in my collection. I will look up that snake right now actually.
    1.1 Leopard gecko
    1.1 pastel ball python
    1.0 Mojave ball python
    1.1 albino
    1.0 pinstripe

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I say to each his own.

I just dont see how training with a colubrid is the same or even close. Im from the country and have played with every kind of snake, hot and none. None of the colubrids that I ever handled struck me or tried, they just tried to get away. The closest thing to a colubrid striking me would be the hognose I played with, but they were just like my pet, ALL SHOW.

I think if it was me I would try to find a hot keeper and see if they would help with training me up. Seems better to train with the real thing that is used to being handled. I just see training with a colubrid and then getting a hot that is new to being handled as to different worlds.

I guess I think of it like guns. Sure you can use trainers that dont fire but no matter how much you train with it the real thing is always different.

With these sources that suggested a colubrid to train with they didnt suggest one? Thats weird to me.

Please dont take this as me being against you dealing with hots, Im not. Just saying what I would do if it was me.

Good luck.

I stepped away before finishing this and nobody else had responded. Seems like Seth702 and I are on the same page.
    Last edited by KMG; 07-08-2012 at 02:36 PM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by californiakingsnake View Post
    Thanks! As for a mentor, I will pass. I have always wanted to work with venomous snakes for my entire life due to the danger. Id be very proud to own a few snakes like that in my collection. I will look up that snake right now actually.
    Just keep in mind if you don't look for a mentor, and you inevitibly get bit, that you have a big poster up in your house stating very clearly "I did this to myself, please do not blame the snake, or the rest of the herp community for my mistakes". Not saying you will get bit, but if you think you never will, your chances may very well increase due to overconfidence when handling a snake that absolutely requires every ounce of attentiveness and respect you have. Every mistake due to somebody jumping head first into a dangerous situation, reflects back on the entire community. I do not want my harmless pythons banned due to one too many people getting bit by a cobra. You are doing the right thing by finding a snake to practice with, but when you get bit to hell by that mangrove and you feel like you might be close to death for a couple weeks, or have a bad allergic reaction to its particular venom, you might reconsider finding a mentor.

Edit: Another benefit to having a mentor on hand, is that if something DOES happen you aren't 1) alone and about to die if you get a bad bite or 2) exposing an inexperienced friend, in the event that something does happen to you.
    Last edited by Anatopism; 07-08-2012 at 02:39 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anatopism For This Useful Post:

justarchaic (07-13-2012),Kara (07-08-2012),KMG (07-08-2012)

Thanks

Thanks! As for a mentor, I will pass. I have always wanted to work with venomous snakes for my entire life due to the danger.
    Lil Cocky? With that attitude you will die from your hot hobby, but you dont have to. A little copperhead in your backyard and a cobra in your house is much different. Rethink the mentor suggestion.

Ive always wanted to fly like a bird but Im not gonna jump off my roof.
    KMG

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Bellatrix_LeSnake (07-10-2012)

Thanks

I wasnt trying to sound cocky.. This is the reason I hesitated to even post this, because everytime I see someone saying they are interested in getting into venomous all I see in return is "dont do it you will die" or something along the lines of the stuff you all are saying to me. I posted for answers, not warnings and people trying to get me down. The reason I said I would pass for a mentor is because I took it wrong in the first place, I was thinking more along the lines a people telling me im crazy and get a "mentor" or someone encouraging me not to do it. I am not, I repeat N-O-T, saying I will never get bitten, I also clearly stated that I probably will die from the hobby. So please everybody enough with the discouragement. Thank you all.
    1.1 Leopard gecko
    1.1 pastel ball python
    1.0 Mojave ball python
    1.1 albino
    1.0 pinstripe

Thanks

I wasnt trying to sound cocky.. This is the reason I hesitated to even post this, because everytime I see someone saying they are interested in getting into venomous all I see in return is "dont do it you will die" or something along the lines of the stuff you all are saying to me. I posted for answers, not warnings and people trying to get me down. The reason I said I would pass for a mentor is because I took it wrong in the first place, I was thinking more along the lines a people telling me im crazy and get a "mentor" or someone encouraging me not to do it. I am not, I repeat N-O-T, saying I will never get bitten, I also clearly stated that I probably will die from the hobby. So please everybody enough with the discouragement. Thank you all.
    Pointing out a snake for practice, as you asked in your initial post is discouraging you? I specifically pointed out a mangrove catsnake as practice because it is mildly venomous, but not likely to cause permanent or severe damage in the long run, but it is definitely something you will not want to get bit by. Far more of a serious practice snake than a mandarin rat or taiwanese beauty... that can be quick, flighty, and long, but who really cares if you get bit, right?

Nobody is discouraging you. We are encouraging you to find a mentor. A mentor means somebody who is experienced with safely handling hots, who can mentor (read: TEACH you) how to safely do the same. My concern is not that you'll die. It's your choice to put your life in your own hands, but by not taking all the steps possible to ensure you don't get bit, you put MY hobby at risk.While I don't wish anybody pain/illness/suffering, I honestly do not give a crap if you lose a limb or die from a venomous snake bite... just please do yourself and everyone else a favor, and make sure you do everything you can to do so safely. This includes finding an experience mentor to at a bare minimum speak with.

There are several hots I'd like to own one day. I am in no way discouraging you from owning them. Simply encouraging you to do so responsibly. When I get the hots I'm interested in, you bet I'll find somebody to help me out with them. They will be in locked enclosures, where no other animals, or friends can accidentally or intentionally put themselves at risk.
    Last edited by Anatopism; 07-08-2012 at 03:06 PM.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Anatopism For This Useful Post:

Andybill (07-08-2012),Bellatrix_LeSnake (07-10-2012),Chkadii (09-10-2012),DooLittle (07-09-2012),KMG (07-08-2012),wolfy-hound (07-09-2012),youbeyouibei (07-09-2012)

Thanks
    Im not sure what comments you were reading. Not one of us told you NOT to deal with hots. I know I made it very clear I am not against you keeping hots. And yes you were way off on the meaning of a mentor.

But now that you know what we meant by a mentor, re-read your post about passing and you can see how it will come across cocky. I also never said you would die, you did. I only agreed that going about it the way you are it seems like you are trying to make sure that happens.
    KMG

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast